cable radio

r.cherry

is cable music better than regular fm? do they compress as much as radio? it is nice commercial free listening. just curious if it sounds nice at home. is the quality close to cd's? my only experience with it is at the local bar where they play blues for us on wed night, pool league.

thanks

rich

I have digital terrestrial radio here in the UK as part of the digi-TV package - quality is pretty poor compared to 88-108 FM to the point that I can not listen to it. But TV sound is very good. Reason for this is unclear except that the data bit rate used is prioritised or demand asssigned treating radio programs way down the priority ladder.

As regards DAB ( digital radio broadcasts ) I've heard people complain about its very poor quality compared to FM. This is partly due to the lossy digital compression these services depend on. But both services are sold as having CD quality!! Decidedly not so IMHO.

Are you talking about music channels that come with most cable/satellite packages? If so, I rarely (almost never) listen to them. I can't really do a quality review but the content IMO sucks. I listen to rock and on the rock stations there are rarely band I have even heard of.