Less is more,... Don Garber 2A3

jazman

I once posted a statement that Don Garbers 2A3 SET monoblocks we built with "NO" coupling caps in the circuit, and of course, it was met with some skepticism. The sonics resulting from his very clean circuit design is one of the reasons his 2A3 SET amplifiers are sought after by those who appreciate SET amps.

Well, I finally found a photo of the underbelly of one of his 2A3 SET monoblocks, and I'd like to share it.

1139947217.jpg

1139947215.jpg

Simplicity at its best!

Here's a snip from a 6 Moons review.

In an amplifier, the coupling caps usually have the biggest influence on the sound. The Fi amps are direct- coupled so there are no coupling caps to affect the sound. With coupling caps not being a factor, the circuit is responsible for 95% of the sound you hear.

The statement below is from a classic ad in the former Fi Magazine.

The Fi 2A3 amplifier is the simplest and most direct amplifier available today. It consists of a single triode voltage amplifier direct coupled to the 2A3 output stage, one of the best output transformers around, all connected with a few inches of pure silver wire. Anything more is unnecessary and detrimental to sound quality. Any and all attempts at higher output power are for some reason other than sound quality and are misguided. The 2A3 is the most natural and direct of the filamentary triodes (300B, 211, 845) commercially available and will get you closest to the essence of the music. Forget pentodes. 6550s are sonic dishwashers. All this purity means low output power, but with efficient speakers the music is lifelike: full, detailed, and above all palpable. ................................................

If I had a few additional dollars, the above pictured 2A3 monoblock and it's sister, with silver MagnaQuest output transformers, would definitely be part of my collection of power amplifiers.

Klipsch out.

Jaz -- got a spare $140 laying around?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-956

Run it without a preamp. It sounds a lot like a certain pair of SET monoblocks I had once. You remember -- the ones I liked.

I think I can find a spare $140.

Maybe your sonic memory of the Apollos has faded somewhat, maybe not, but the Apollos were not near the sound of well done, tube rectified, 2A3 SET monoblocks. I also would not think it(digital amp) can compare with the pair of Fi 2A3 monoblocks above. Nevertheless, I will give it a try in the near future. Currently however, my sights are set on aquiring another exceptional pair of 2A3 monoblocks, as well as comparing the Cary 301 phono preamp to my current Wright phono preamp.

Klipsch out.

Those are nice amps - are they still being built? I had a pair a few years back and enjoyed them. In the amps I had, the ceramic sockets were problematic (noisy) and after a few tries, they were replaced with regular plastic ones (the graphite sockets didn't work out either). I visit the friend I sold them to a lot and he seems to be very happy with them. BTW, the amps do not have a bottom plate so placement can be an issue with RFI. I placed a grounded copper plate underneath which seemed to help a little but moving them away from other components and power wires helped the most.

-Bryan

Those are nice amps - are they still being built? I had a pair a few years back and enjoyed them. In the amps I had, the ceramic sockets were problematic (noisy) and after a few tries, they were replaced with regular plastic ones (the graphite sockets didn't work out either). I visit the friend I sold them to a lot and he seems to be very happy with them. BTW, the amps do not have a bottom plate so placement can be an issue with RFI. I placed a grounded copper plate underneath which seemed to help a little but moving them away from other components and power wires helped the most. -Bryan

jbryan,

As far as I know, Don is still building amps, though not at the same rate. His wife was very ill and he devoted much of his time to her care. I have not had the opportunity to speak to him for several years. I've always wanted to try one of his phono preamps and my still get to do so one day.

Klipsch out.

I'm sorry to hear about Don's wife. I sold the amps about 5 years ago and haven't heard much in regard to Don or his gear save for the occasional ad in Audiogon. He was a bit difficult to catch up with when he was in full swing so its no wonder that he's off my radar.

I wish Don the best and hope all is well.

• 3 weeks later...

Jaz -- got a spare $140 laying around?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-956

Run it without a preamp. It sounds a lot like a certain pair of SET monoblocks I had once. You remember -- the ones I liked.

I think I can find a spare $140.

Maybe your sonic memory of the Apollos has faded somewhat, maybe not, but the Apollos were not near the sound of well done, tube rectified, 2A3 SET monoblocks. I also would not think it(digital amp) can compare with the pair of Fi 2A3 monoblocks above. Nevertheless, I will give it a try in the near future. Currently however, my sights are set on aquiring another exceptional pair of 2A3 monoblocks, as well as comparing the Cary 301 phono preamp to my current Wright phono preamp.

Klipsch out.

Did you ever wind up listening to this digital amp? I'm guessing that your suspicions will have proved correct.

I purchased one to try and it was not for me. I listened to it only a couple of times so it's brand new. If anyone is interested in purchasing mine, I would like to sell it for $75.00 plus shipping. Or, if you're in the Chicagoland area give me a call for local pickup or meet. Send me an e-mail if interested to frank.p.hess@sargentlundy.com.

http://www.si-technologies.com/frontEnd/cm_productDetail.jsp?productID=35

Above is the link to the super-T info.

Have a lovely day.

Funny, I have those very amps (those EXACT amps pictured!) in my house right now taken as partial trade on a pair of speakers. They are nice, but the silver trannies aren't worth the 3.3k upgrade. Trust me, you are not missing anything with your Moondogs.

BTW, these amps are still made, but the Magnequest silver trannies are not.