Should I pair a Klipsch Reference with Yamaha 5990 receiver? Will it be too bright??

mm07

All,

I have the Klipsch reference line of speakers: RB75, RC-7, RS-7.

I am in the market to purchase a new receiver, and I am really leaning

toward the new Yamaha 5990, with thx select2, video upconversion,

and hdmi switching.

Now, I have been reading in quite a few forums that I should *NOT* pair a Yamaha receiver with Klipsch speakers.

The reason given is that the Yamaha receivers tend to be on the

"bright" side. (higher high's/treble) and the Klipsch speakers also

tend to be bright, so they do not make a good pairing.

However, after all my receiver shopping, I like the Yamaha receiver the best, as it fits all my needs and surround sound modes.

So my questions are:

- Should I be concerned about the above pairing? Note: I will not have a chance to demo these for myself before purchasing.

- Is anyone running Klipsch/Yamaha combo and happy with it? Anyone unhappy?

- If you don't recommend the pairing, then why, and what alternatives do I have?

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

What are your recommendations on receivers?

I have three systems with Yamaha, two of which are with reference speakers. I'm fine with it. I either use the YPAO to do the eq, or just turn the treble down a bit if it seems to 'bright'. I don't know what the Yamaha-bashers are talking about. Imho, they're just fine.

Michael

The newer Yamaha receivers sound great with Klipsch speakers starting at the 57** series. You can get the 5890 at a great price from www.jr.com right now. I have a Yamha RX-V4600 with a RF7 system and I love it. But in the end only your ears can judge if you'll like it. But most places that carry the 5990 have very good return policies.

I used a Yamaha intetrated 100W amp (can't remember the model #, purchsed in 1996 ) to power my KG3.5 's and things could get a bit harsh at high listening levels. I now use the Yamaha to power the rears with a Lexicon MC-1 taking over the preamp duties and they sound fine. So I would suspect that the preamp section of the Yamaha was the source of my brightness although with the Yamaha in the rear I'm less likely to notice if it is still btight anyway.

My $.02

I used a Yamaha intetrated 100W amp (can't remember the model #, purchsed in 1996 ) to power my KG3.5 's and things could get a bit harsh at high listening levels. I now use the Yamaha to power the rears with a Lexicon MC-1 taking over the preamp duties and they sound fine. So I would suspect that the preamp section of the Yamaha was the source of my brightness although with the Yamaha in the rear I'm less likely to notice if it is still btight anyway.

My $.02

The newer Yamaha receivers have a smoother sound with Klipsch than the older gear

I have been using Yamaha equipment for a LOT of years.

Everyones ears hear things a bit differently and I for one have AWESOME hearing. So when the Yamaha bashing starts, it's probably due to ear wax build-up, or simply bad taste.. [;)] (kidding)

Really though, the combination should be just fine.

Take care & Have Fun

Mike (The Yamaha / Hsu Underdog)