Is bigger ALWAYS better? (and I'm not talking about size)

paradigmxp

As an employee of BestBuy, I have the opportunity to get some of the Synergy line at a really good price. Because of this, I am tempted to go all out and get an F-3 system (F-3s, C-3, 2 pairs of S-3, and sub-12). However, I am pretty sure that these are too "big" in terms of sound for pretty much any room I have or will have in the next 5 years (or more). My other option is the Quintet III w/ a sub-10 or sub-12. I know it depends on the actual dimensions of the room and acoustical properties, but are these sets rated for an approximate square footage? For example, don't get the F-3 system if you have less than x square feet or the Quintets sound great if you no more than y square feet. Also, the Klipsch web page for the Quintets recommend pairing them with a sub-10. Is the sub-12 too "big" for the quintets?

Another bonus with going with the quintets is that I would not need as big of a receiver. Pros and cons anyone? TIA!

Hi

I guess there are a couple ways to look at this situation.

My experience is similar to your questions. I have a smallish HT and at one time I had RF7s in there. Yes they were too big for the room. then I tried RB75 and discovered that hmm maybe bookshelfs are an alternative way to go.

Perhaps the B3 synergy bookshelf would serve you purposes. The money you save you from such a purchase could possibly be put towards an RSW12 sub.

The trade off of course will be the db. I think you would like the performance of the B3 over the quintets.

Scott

I think the issue is not quite size, but rather distance.

Some speakers and their crossovers are designed to give good results when the listern is up close. It is almost a visual thing. A six inch woofer looks a lot bigger when you're up close. This is the idea behind the classic BBC near field monitor. The guys (blokes) were sitting in a van (lorry?) listening to feeds from a nearby remote broadcast and doing a mix. The same is pretty much true in a mixing booth at a recording studio..

The technical issue is a bit more complicated. Essentially, if you are up close, you are sitting where the speaker is creating pressure before it spreads out into a larger room. The speakers are acting like huge headphones which are not quite on your head.

It is my guess that the multimedia speakers and maybe the Quintets take advantage of this and are specfically designed to exploit the effects but also cut down some frequencies. That way, they recreate what would be heard in a larger room, farther away.

I don't have anything to quote to you. None the less, I think that an arms length or so is the limit for near field. After that you're out of the pressure zone.

Now there may be something to the fact that the spacing of tweeters, mids, and bass are, optically, fatther apart. But that may not be too much of a problem at, say, six feet away or greater.

= = = =

There has been traffic here that people think smaller rooms do better with smaller speakers. It is difficult to quantify but I think the problem, if there is one, is overstated.

I have Forte II in an office which is about 10 x 18. They are toe-ed in and in corners. Magnificent. Someone here had said PWK had them in his office. How big an office, I don't know.

There is an issue with my office because you do have to get on the other side of the room to get a good sound stage. If you're on the same side they are too far off axis. That is simply a placement issue.

I'd say, go with the big guys if you can. It may take some adjustment of placement, but that is all.

Gil

Another bonus with going with the quintets is that I would not need as big of a receiver.

Actually you would need a bigger reciever for the quintets...the problem is the quintets can't handle the extra power handling.

The F3's have a sensitivity of: 97dB @ 1watt 1 meter

The Quintets have a sensivity of: 91dB @ 1watt 1 meter

This means you need to feed the Quintets 4x the power to achieve the same SPL as the F3's!

If I were in your situation, I would scrap any notion of surround sound

- especially if you feel space will be an issue. And then you might

consider going with the F3's in a 2-channel configuration mated with

the sub-12. A proper 2-channel rig will leave a 5.1 rig in the dust as

far as listening enjoyment goes...