Future of SACD / DVD Audio

RTTR

I'm debating whether or not to just get a regular CD player (the NAD C542) or one capable of playing SACD and or DVD Audio, I'm not too sure how many SACD or DVD Audio CD's there are out, but what does the future hold for both of thoes formats?

Does anyone have a good source for buying SACD's?

By happenstance, my new Sony 400-disk DVD player for the home theater system is an SACD player. That got me looking at SACD source material, and that is the rub. Frankly, I walked away disgusted that the bulk of the material was just remixed old stuff. How many copies of "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Tommy" does one need? Ditto for DVD audio. When I look at new releases that I'm interested in buying, I simply don't see them on these formats. I've actually picked up more material on the Dualdisk format, which seems to have much more penetration in the new release section, such as the new Bette Midler Peggy Lee songbook. I also have very few regular DVD music disks, which almost always tend to be concert videos. Since I'm most interested in the recording and performance quality, concert performances generally come in at the bottom of the barrel for me.

So, before spending extra money for an SACD player, look at what media is available where you normally buy your music. I suspect you'll be very disappointed as I was.

If multichannel audio formats are to survive they will have to be carried by the "HT Only" generation of audio enthusiasts. I own a few SACD and DVD Audio disks, thoroughly enjoy them and continue to look for new discs but the problem is the selection in your run of the mill retail outlet is so sparse it is hardly worth perusing. If you truly want a good selection go online to http://www.elusivedisc.com/ or some place similar.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

OK, Tom as for the future being vinyl, while I love my vinyl its hard to believe the mass market will concede the convenience of digital audio in lieu of vinyl. What I see becoming the dominant player in the home market is one of these http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=19&cat=Sources&prodid=1113&product=MS300 or one its less costly siblings/iterations aka the PC. Comparatively there are only a handful of true enthusiasts who flock to the velvet sound of vinyl when you look at the market as a whole. Today's consumer just doesn't have Allan or Max' ...or even yours or my appreciation for the format. Which is truly sad. Now I doubt vinyl is going to disappear tomorrow but its offerings of new selections and venues to buy same are surely to dwindle. Face it the MP3 generation is going to make the CD a thing of the past and the ability to carry your music selection with you attached to your belt is gaining more and more momentum.

neither, the future is iPod and other electronic storage devices, hard copy distribution of music and video is going away, fast.

Yep that is why media servers are becomming the rage. HTPC, Music Servers, .....IPOD (AKA MP3/digital format players). You can store all of your entertainment medium in one small location and integrate it into your home system with relative ease.

What I see becoming the dominant player in the home market is one of these http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=19&cat=Sources&prodid=1113&product=MS300 or one its less costly siblings/iterations aka the PC.

Where can I buy one, and how much are they?

All you need is a PC with a big hard drive or two, a DVD drive and a good high end sound and video card and your essentially there. A lot of folks are migrating to the Window Media Center for an OS and then just ensure yo use adequate hardware (RAM, Processor ...). Mac's (the Computer) are just as good if not better for a PC type set up. As for the McIntosh MS300 they run about $4K'ish and up. After all you have to pay for the name. Any McIntosh retailer like Breier Audio in Kearney Mesa in SD.

I'd definitely like to get a digital music server running, but the good ones are quite expensive. Offerings from Mac, Cambridge audio and other such reputable companies are way out of my league. Some audio formats such as flac truly are amazing, so much clarity and dynamics; I much prefer flac or ogg over mp3.

Cambridge Audio offers the Azur 640H music server, I've read rave reviews on this item. A friend's dad recently bought one, and he loves it. I heard it at his place through his vintage Polks, they sounded just as good as his CDs (if not better), and just as good as his vinyl rig. Here is a quote off the description:

"The Azur 640H music server can download songs from internet services, transfer music to and from hard disk portables or stream directly via the Internet, for example playing one of the thousands of net radio stations. When connected to a broadband network, the Azur 640H music server instantly retrieves artist, album and track information using an advanced web-based look-up system." ==> people are going to love this choice, its very convenient and one can access a large amount of music for free and be exposed to any genre with the touch of a button.

heres the link http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=39&Title=Azur+640H

Yeah Tom when performance matches price it is hard to argue. I have heard a lot of solid state rigs and I can think of none I truly like better than a good McIntosh. So smooth detailed and effortless sounding. If money were no object....actually I'd go McIntosh for tubes as well for the same reason again if money were no object. And yeah I know when you start venturing into the "If money were no object" venue there are a ton of options but IMO if you stay in the Klipsch price point, McIntosh matches up pretty well in price and performance.

I'd definitely like to get a digital music server running, but the good ones are quite expensive. Offerings from Mac, Cambridge audio and other such reputable companies are way out of my league.

Have you looked at Yamaha? They have a couple of nice ones, although they only do CD audio --no compression, which I would not consider to be much of a disadvantage.

A lot of good stuff is still being issued on SACD and DualDisc. Re-issues, particularly. You may as well get something that will play them all.

Where do you buy it?

I have bought almost all my multi-channel titles from either CircuitCity (on-line) or from the BMG Music Service. Actually, I suspect CC "farms out" their on-line music sales to ElusiveDisc; the websites look almost identical.