UPS Pteryodactyl almost eats guitar

codhead

Received a D-18 directly from Martin on Thu. The box showed up with this big bite taken out

of the side. My comment to the driver was "Nice hole! Pteryodactyl?" After opening the box to

make sure the case was undamaged, the UPS driver said "They didn't put enough packing

material inside the box". I could only hope for a large foot to appear, and stomp this ignoramus

as he walked back to his truck.

post-17678-13819283702472_thumb.jpg

I have had a damaged Ground Grid tube preamps shipped Fedex, I still think the Merlin I returned was damaged in shipping which caused the excessive hiss, and now the US post office decided that the Phillips 963A dvd player should take 2 weeks or more instead of 2-3 days.

It left from MI to Dallas and was supposed to come to Austin. But it went from MI to Dallas to California and is now on it's way back to somewhere? I hope it's to my house and not to the East coast and then back here to Dallas and then back to MI and then back to Dallas and maybe then to my house.

The Moondog SET amps I just bought were sent to Houston so Erik could look them over. He found one screw loose and a brooken wire and he said they were double boxed and packed extremely well!! I have worked the Christmas rush with UPS drivers and things do happen it does not matter if it is UPS, Fedex, USPS or any other shipper. UPS is the only one that has not damaged anything I ordered from. Fedex has damaged 3 of my packages.

Pic is the Merlin box: I figured it fell and hit the corner of another box.

post-13699-13819283703512_thumb.jpg

i also worked in UPS and saw things from inside.

most of the damage is not from drivers but from sorting ficilities.

at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

but i think that their "lost" and "damaged" rates are pretty low (less than 1% i would say).

Ranjith,

Well, the action from the factory was a little high for my tastes. Took

it to a well respected local luthier (elderly guy with a lot of

experience) for a new bone nut and saddle. It came with the (plastic?)

Tusq parts.

Just picked it up about a couple of hours ago, and he did a pretty nice

job on the action - but now for the heartbreaker. Got it home and found

scuff marks all over the back of the guitar. He had a piece of carpet

on his bench, covered in shavings when I dropped it off. Kind of

figured he would vacuum it off before working on my guitar, but I guess

he didn't.

I bought it from a Martin employee, and it was dead mint when I dropped

it off at the luthier. I even peeled the plastic off the pick guard

last Thu when it arrived.

Man, this is the mother of bummers. I'm not sure what to use to polish

the back with, and I sure don't want to go through the nitrocellulose

laquer finish by rubbing too hard. I'm half tempted to E-mail the guy I

got it from, and send it back to Martin to get it buffed out. What the

heck was this old dude thinking?

Any of you guitar types know of a polish that'll fix something like

this, or should I say screw it and send it back to the factory?

- Jeff

Jeff, all I can say is I can feel your pain man. My jaw dropped, literally, when I read that the back of a martin was scuffed up. Taking it to an experienced luthier one would expect them to be the most careful of anyone and knowledgable as well. That must be infuriating. Are the scruffs too deep? into the wood itself? I hope not. I'm not experienced enough to know of any way to fix the back, there has gotta be someone more knowledgable in here to chime in. But sending it back to Martin sure isn't a bad idea, more of secure feeling knowing its in the hands of pros and that they'd do a good job.

By the way, how do you like the sound of her? Someday I'll get meself a nice Martin... but for now on my student budget I'll play my strat with the shotty fret job , she still feels terrific

Ranjith,

Well, it sounds pretty nice. The tone is a lot fuller than my Taylor

510CE (which is also a mahogany body dread). The Taylor's neck is a

little smoother, and still seems a bit easier to play - but I'm not

used to the Martin yet. But the sound is just beautiful.

I posted over on the General board, and hopefully someone might have a

good suggestion for the finish. If all else fails, I guess the guy I

bought it from can fix it, but what a thing to have happen!

The scratches are more like little scuffs. Nothing through the finish -

but they're all over the back. I've got some Martin polish, but it's

more like a light oil that just evaporates. It'll take off

fingerprints, but that's about it.

- Jeff

I've only ever played one Taylor, it was at some guitar shop. It felt very nice, but for the price ($2600 or so? cant remember) I thought it could've been better. But mind you I played it for like 5mins, so maybe my opinion would be different if I owned one.

Do you have any pics of the scuff marks? Maybe someone can better explain how to correct the finish if they can see the extent of these marks? just an idea. Isn't the martin polish just that small spray bottle? That isn't going to do much, just shine the surface. Give a call to the ex-martin employee perhaps? Hes gotta know something.

good luck

Ranjith,

Well, the action from the factory was a little high for my tastes. Took it to a well respected local luthier (elderly guy with a lot of experience) for a new bone nut and saddle. It came with the (plastic?) Tusq parts.

Just picked it up about a couple of hours ago, and he did a pretty nice job on the action - but now for the heartbreaker. Got it home and found scuff marks all over the back of the guitar. He had a piece of carpet on his bench, covered in shavings when I dropped it off. Kind of figured he would vacuum it off before working on my guitar, but I guess he didn't.

I bought it from a Martin employee, and it was dead mint when I dropped it off at the luthier. I even peeled the plastic off the pick guard last Thu when it arrived.

Man, this is the mother of bummers. I'm not sure what to use to polish the back with, and I sure don't want to go through the nitrocellulose laquer finish by rubbing too hard. I'm half tempted to E-mail the guy I got it from, and send it back to Martin to get it buffed out. What the heck was this old dude thinking?

Any of you guitar types know of a polish that'll fix something like this, or should I say screw it and send it back to the factory?

- Jeff

Meguiars Mirror Glaze No7 or Novus Plastic Polish No.2. I work in the MI industry (Musical Instrument) and these are commonly used to fix this issue. I have repaired many a vintage guitar and used this technique to restore the finish.

Ranjith,

Well, the action from the factory was a little high for my tastes. Took it to a well respected local luthier (elderly guy with a lot of experience) for a new bone nut and saddle. It came with the (plastic?) Tusq parts.

Just picked it up about a couple of hours ago, and he did a pretty nice job on the action - but now for the heartbreaker. Got it home and found scuff marks all over the back of the guitar. He had a piece of carpet on his bench, covered in shavings when I dropped it off. Kind of figured he would vacuum it off before working on my guitar, but I guess he didn't.

I bought it from a Martin employee, and it was dead mint when I dropped it off at the luthier. I even peeled the plastic off the pick guard last Thu when it arrived.

Man, this is the mother of bummers. I'm not sure what to use to polish the back with, and I sure don't want to go through the nitrocellulose laquer finish by rubbing too hard. I'm half tempted to E-mail the guy I got it from, and send it back to Martin to get it buffed out. What the heck was this old dude thinking?

Any of you guitar types know of a polish that'll fix something like this, or should I say screw it and send it back to the factory?

- Jeff

Meguiars Mirror Glaze No7 or Novus Plastic Polish No.2. I work in the MI industry (Musical Instrument) and these are commonly used to fix this issue. I have repaired many a vintage guitar and used this technique to restore the finish.

Mark,

Thanks for the advice. Heard back from the guy at Martin, and he says their new finishes are really tough (this is a 2005 model). It takes a lot of work to get scratches out at the factory, even with an electric buffer. Some hand polishing should get the scuff marks right out. I'll see if I can find one of your products, and give it a try. At least the finish is not as delicate as I thought it might be.

Guess that in the future I'll have to be more careful paranoid about where I take guitars to have them worked on!

- Jeff

Mark,

Thanks for the advice. Heard back from the guy at Martin, and he says their new finishes are really tough (this is a 2005 model). It takes a lot of work to get scratches out at the factory, even with an electric buffer. Some hand polishing should get the scuff marks right out. I'll see if I can find one of your products, and give it a try. At least the finish is not as delicate as I thought it might be.

Guess that in the future I'll have to be more careful paranoid about where I take guitars to have them worked on!

- Jeff

Jeff,

The description really sounded more like what we call box burn and would have been caused by the cardboard box - however, since you stated it was flawless prior to the luthier visit.....

In any case: The products I mentioned are used in the automotive industry (read body shops) and should be available at any local auto parts supplier. The Novus is often used to restore clean windshields on motorcycle helmets/boats, etc. The Meguiars is used on cars - around here - Murphy's Auto part and the Auto Zone carry these items.

Good luck ....wait to you see the shine - have your shades ready! [:D]

The Meguiars seems to be working (along with a microfiber towel). It's

kind of hidden by the flash, but you can see some of the marks near the

center line. Does kinda look like rub marks from cardboard, but there

were a whole lot of them. There are also some fine scratches, which I

think were caused by pieces of clipped guitar string - those are going

to be a bit more difficult.

Not a mark on it when it dropped it off with the guy on Sat afternoon. [6]

post-17678-13819283740764_thumb.jpg