Are these BIG Klipsch for home use?

BigBusa

Yep, the two pairs on the left and right are a couple of La Scalas standing on top of each other. I don't know what the gargantuan thing in the middle is.

La Scalas look like home versions vs pro versions, and from the generally beat up condition of the speakers in the picture, you can see why the pro versions were built a bit differently...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

I believe that big monster sitting between the four La Scalas is a Klipsch cinema subwoofer, W folded horn with either a pair of 15" woofers or 18" woofers.. can't remember, but I believe it's 15s. Those things are huge. Look under Klipsch's commercial section at the cinema stuff, their biggest speakers have a bass bin like that.

Edit... You could probably jam that setup in the living room and stick the TV on top of the sub. That is, if you have a spouse that will not murder you in the middle of the night for bringing it all in. cwm8.gif If you pulled that off, you could probably blow yourself out of the house with it though... The efficiency of that group of speakers is probably in the neighborhood of 107 db 1W/1M.. ouch.

This message has been edited by EvilMinion on 10-24-2001 at 04:27 PM

Those are definitely cinema speakers, I don't think Klipsch made anything like that for home usage. I don't know how they sound, but too much depends on your definition of the word. My neighbor's going a similar route, he'll be building an Altec 210 chopped in half (exponential bass horn), using 311-60s w/288 drivers for the midrange, and Electrovoice St-350 tweeters. It's going to be ridiculous. Those big Klipschs will blister. You want home theater, you'll get home theater. heheh. cwm1.gif

OMG have you made my day!!!!!!

But first a little background....

In the early mid 80's in a college town in Bloomington, Indiana at Indiana University, I was the lead singer in a band called "Exposure." We were not the biggest baddest best band from....LOL etc., etc., "should have been the next "Beatles"... LOL... But, we were also far from just average to bad too. <<Think a lot of John "Cougar" Mellencamp being in Bloomington, Indiana, you get the idea..>> We played at various Bars in Bloomington, Oscars (Now Axis) The Bluebird...Various Greek fraternity and sorority dances Bloomington, massive parties for Little 500, IU homecoming, in the dorms etc.

We also played in Indianapolis, Indiana at places like the Vogue and the Patio where people came to dance, drink beer, and hear good rock n roll with friends on a good Friday or Saturday night. 10-2 am...LIVE rock n roll, where did you go???

We used this EXACT setup that is in your PIC with the 4 La Scala's and the MCM middle. It only took three crown amps, two at +- 100 wpc, and one mono bridged at 550 WPC, if I remember close enough, for the MCM sub. We never had any breakdowns, and the La Scala's were just incredible, sometimes side by side sometimes one on top of the other for height, with the top La Scala turned upside down to keep the highs close together.

I used to jump up and down often on the MCM sub put in the middle just in front of the stage getting closer to the audience, too. As you can imagine, it took 4 guys to haul that one piece in ..Even on rollers..LOL.. But a great "Mini Stage."

The system was clean, easy to hook up, and I almost cried when our sound man sold it for a JBL system he was talked into using/ buying from a music store.

I always wanted to know if anyone else did this setup for a live PA...I will tell you for 4 years I loved every night we played with it too.

People would come in and say, "Is that all you got for this big room"... I would think stand back..LOL.. We all knew it could play loud...heck even a bad system can play loud...BUT and here is why I had to post... This was the "cleanest easy sounding loud" that I ever felt singing and playing through. I will also say to describe it..."Easy" (because it was so clean, so less stress on your ears) to feel like your really hearing everything clean like in a recording studio....But LIVE!!

That's my 2 cents... Kinda like turning up the Eagles DVD and you get that same experience... Just like the record/CD...But omg great really great cranked up!!!!!

As a side note:

Today, I sing through a pair of Heresy's (Vocals only) on top of a pair of Corwalls (Music only)in a room devoted for this purpose. In a very lager basement. With Karaoke discs being so close to the origional bands, and at almost 40 years YIKES now.... I now have a "Great Band" on CD with the words that play for me, when I want, and all the songs I want too..LOL And I never have to worry about anyone else to pay or be sick, conflicts, or missing band members too...LOL...(Or drummers that wanna have their girlfriend sing too..LOL..)

If you have these, enjoy em. Thay are incredible.

Indy

LOl...In the one band I played in back in the mid-'70s, we used a pair of LaScalas for our P.A. too. We used Crown amps too but I can't remember which ones. We also used a pair of Heresies for monitors.

That system really did a great job.

Indy , I saw those for sale online recently. They are about 40 miles south of me and they were asking $1800 for all 5 pieces. If you want em lemme know I'll go scout them out for you.

The 2nd pic was also online and they were asking $1000 for all that klipsch stuff! That sounded like a sweet deal.

------------------

Ubid customer service SUX. Be very wary if you use them.

Where are you from?? The second set, with the metal trim looked to be in prety good working order. The first obviously was "Band Road Kill." I occasionally see sets like this, where the La Scalas go for $200. (If everything works) ...I know an insult to Klipsch lovers looking for a clean home version pair... And the sub woofer cabinets get about $ 200-500 depending on condition.

Let me know on the $1,000 offer (Second pic, metal trim set up.) If it is a serious offer, depending where they are located I just might be interested. (If, they are all in working order, of course.)

I live in Indianapolis, Indiana. Let me know!!

This message has been edited by IndyKlipschFan on 10-27-2001 at 03:35 AM

Some do use monsters like in the pics in their HT or music systems.I know a audiophile who uses all Pro horn loaded speakers(Cerwins)with heavy duty amps for music!

The first pic reminds me of a system I heard at one time.The speakers were ugly,huge and in bad shape but the sound was realistic,huge and very involving.I was shocked.The speakers were home made replicas of Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater.Huge horn loaded fridges.

This system had so much power you just turn the volume a bit up and the floor would do waves!Well almost,the walls did flex.And it did not sound bad at all!Most would think Pro Cerwins,Klipsches,Genelecs or JBL's have to sound bad.Its not the case,if installed by pros and matched with proper gear these can knock your socks off.No jokes

For HT use or live music these all horn loaded speakers

outperform just about any High-End system.The power and realism is unmatched.

When I listen to my larger Klipsch I get a good fraction of this awesome live power.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I have 4 concert LaScalas that I purchased off the internet. They have the handles but no metal trim. They were beat up somewhat when I got them. One set I got for $300. with a blown woofer that I replaced on ebay with an exact match for $57. I used wood fill and some corner molding on the front and repainted them black. They look and sound great.