Wrinkled Reference Speakers

Kriton

Now that a lot of folks are unloading the RF series of speakers I have

noticed a lot of cerametallic cones that are for a better word,

wrinkled.

You know the ones, they have waves on the cones or folds in the material? Not tears exactly, but just strange undulations?

How are these caused? Are they fixable, do they effect sound ( quite a few folks claim not?)

Just curious?

K

K,

Unlike the days of yesteryear...these woofers cannot be re-coned. The anodized aluminum or Ceramitalic cone material can get wrinkled from any number of factors...most common is from mishandling during shippingin which the speakers have usually been dropped.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Best option is to simply replace the woofers from Klipsch parts department.

• Like 1

What causes that to the dust caps?

People with curiosities and fingers that like to ruin things..... Nothing like 1,000 USD speakers.. with smashed dust cones or creases in the Woofers.... To make them look terrible.

Or small kids standing on them when your not looking!!!! OUCH! (RS-7) on the floor behind the couch.. still works amazingly.. sounds fine..but looks kinda like crap... If he just didn't turn 2 and not know any better... I would of spanked him big time. All he was trying to do is get behind the couch and say peek a boo to mommy. Mommy came in crying your son did a really bad boo boo! She said,"I am soo sorry I did not see him go there." So we blocked the entrance.. Will wait till he is a little older or until it does not sound good and repair it later.. I would take a pic.. But I am sure some grown men on here might cry too!

if you look at the picture that was sorrily at an authroized dealer of

reference series speakers. Notice on the sides there are other

speakers.... This store should be ashamed of itself. But hey they

wanted to show off the cones and little kids with less caring parents

came in and there is the cone......

What causes that to the dust caps?

Very large pieces of dust.

CUTE answer. Fingers cause that? I guess my question should be; Is there any way other than fingers, could cause that damage to the caps? Overpowering the speakers with a tube amp won't cause similar damage? I 'm asking because I notice alot of for sale speakers have that damage to passive radiators, and a few to the woofer. They say it doesn't hurt the sound, What do you think?

no way could you do that with an amp... well maybe if you overdrive it

and the cone actually smashes into the voicecoil. That happens mostly

on subwoofers though. The pr might have a little acoustical change

unless it is pierced and has a hole it shouldn't be that bit a problem.

Really a pr is meant to be like a port to give a lower response

High temps in a car or otherwise will not damage the cones. This is always mechanical and typically caused by curious fingers. I did once see an RF-3 with a shattered cone. That was accomplished with a 500 watt amp when the coil bottomed.

If you want to get extremely picky, the shape of the cone does matter and when the cone is bent or severely dented, it will not be as rigid as it should. I have never known anybody to be able to detect a sonic difference, but it should be measurable.

Thanks for the reply, So all of these speakers with the wrinkles

are damaged enough to require replacement? I see a lot of

folks state that this damage doesn't "effect the sound", so that is a

crock, yes?

K