yamaha receiver

Rsoxfan

I am using the yamaha rxv-757 and it is powering 6 rf-7's an rc-7 2 rb-10's and a pair of rs3ii's. Also employed are 2 svs pc-ultra's controlled by a velodyne sms-1. My dvd player is a sony it does double duty for music and dvd's.

Now that you know what I am listening on I can tell you the rxv-757 does just fine for 9.1 or 9.2+2 in my case. Even though I'm powering some pretty power hungry speakers it hasn't missed a beat and barely ever gets mildly warm. I listen to my movies using mostly the "spectacle" setting and if you like LOTR this setup is wicked for it!!!

I was a long time sony ES fan but moved to the yamaha when I bought the RF-7's, I noticed a much more "clearer" sound with alot less straining to hear voices or soft passages, the yamaha and klipsch together makes for a very dynamic presentation that makes it very easy to understand the diolouge. I think it works great for home theater which is 99% of what I use it for. For music, I don't know, I just don't seem to be too happy, it seems like when you start to get them to really sing it gets pretty stressfull on the ears. But then again I have yet to do any room acoustic treatments, which has probably got more to do with it then the system does. I also like the "night mode" for late time viewing. It has plenty of setup features to accomadate for rooms but lacks hdmi, which for the most part I could care less about, for now component is just fine for my projector and I can always by a swicher or scaler down the road when they figure out what they are going to do with hdmi. I plan on adding amps next and eventually fasing out the 757, but I am happy with it's performance so far.

I have a 750 which is the same receiver except for the pay radio setup. I also use spectacle for most movies. The sound is much wider, fuller, more spacious and enveloping.

The only problems I have had with the receiver is that I have an intermittent short in one of my speaker wires and if I play at reference levels, intense scenes will sometimes blow the protection relay and shut the unit off. I just need to figure out which one of the 8 speaker leads it is[:@]

So, does the spectacle setting use the original signal (i.e. this

sound goes to the left surround speaker) and then enhance it on top of

that. Basically, what I'm asking is when you use this setting, do

your little lights for F,C,R,LS,BS,RS, and Sub light up on the receiver

to show that the receiver is recognizing the dolby signal? If so,

then I just misunderstood what the spectacle setting was.

I just watched a couple of scenes from ROTK, and I have to agree that

the spectacle setting really makes a big difference! Also, I just

hooked up my 2nd rear surround (RS-35), and am running a true 7.1 for

the first time! I know that most movies don't support it, but

ROTK is one of them, and let me tell you, the difference is

amazing! Thanks for introducing me to spectacle! I guess I

was just too naive to try it out before.

atomic... that's kinda how I felt when I added my rf-7's as my surround speakers combined with my rs3ii's (I run dual surrounds, my rf-7's are on an amp). I am a huge fan of the lotr series and found that adding the towers on my surround channels was a huge improvement over just my rs3ii's. Anything to make lotr's better is worth it to me, I wish someone else could add floorstanders in surround position and watch lotr so they could confirm what I thought was a huge improvement. It's also good to know that the spectacle setting is good from someone else, there's just so many settings that you never seem to know until you get someone else to agree with you! [:)]