BEC BOX & Tweeter

Terry:

Your review of Bob's new tweeter was helpful, and I was glad you included your wife's opinion, as well. Your description of the improvement of bells and cymbals was something that caught my attention because I also listen closely to those instruments.

Can I ask if you also perceive the balance between the new tweeter and stock squawker to be similar to that of the K77? IOWs, is the efficiency of the new driver close to or the same as that of the Klipsch version?

As close as I need to watch funds for many other things right now, I can't help but want to just close my eyes and go for a pair, too! I'll sell a half-used pair of shoes or an unused oil filter on ebay, or something, to help make up the cost! :)

Thanks for some good information on this.

Erik

Oh, Also: What crossover are you using? (maybe I just missed that part)

Erik,

I am using an Altec 511b and 902-16a driver for mids, so I can't say about the stock squawker. Blends well with the Altecs however. My XO is a DIY 1st order.

Not much help, am I.

Daddy Dee has had his for about 90 days I think. He would know.

tc

Eric,

I evaluated one of Bob's Demo's last Fall. I placed the tweeter in my Cornscala which has a K33, K55/K401, K77. At the time, the tweeter filter was 3rd order.

Bob's Tweeter on my RTA setup was slightly less in dB after about 10,000Hz. The sound was fine and did blend in well. There seems to be a lot of this efficiency arguements going on and it may have to do with variation with the K77's.

As I have said in other posts, if you are dissatisfied in the least with your stock tweeter, I would give Bob's tweet a try. The K77's on my Cornscalas are in very good shape with new diaphragms. I am happy with them and will keep them there. I like Bob's tweeter enough for the price that I just got a pair for myself for a DIY project.

jc

Thanks for the extra information on this.

"As I have said in other posts, if you are dissatisfied in the least with your stock tweeter, I would give Bob's tweet a try."

Sure, I understand that. I guess I'm not as dissatisfied with the K-77M as I'm curious about what Bob has created. I think a little room up top might be nice, but our roughly stock Klipschorns still have amazing sensitivity, sparkle, and life. They don't sound dull in the least, but I think there is a chance that some HF information, such as loose hi-hat or crash and ride cymbals, could be improved by this new driver. I have used a number of good dome tweeters in the past, both doped fabric and metal, that, while not having the efficiency as the K-77, were still really excellent drivers.

This is another example of the never-ending taste and preference factor. Not everyone is going to like the same thing. Some, including me, have described amplifier and preamp changes as great leaps in performance, although I would say that I have experienced very similar feelings when upgrading to complete loudspeaker systems (such as La Scalas and Klipschorns) or even individual drivers.

Erik

[

I am using an Altec 511b and 902-16a driver for mids, so I can't say about the stock squawker. Blends well with the Altecs however. My XO is a DIY 1st order.

tc

do you prefer this over running your speakers two-way?

Man, I can see the top end of the 511/902 on paper, I just can't hear it. I sat in the sweet-spot with my eyes closed and ask "where is the tweeter"? They didn't sound crisp. Crisp not being a bad thing in this example. However, I only ran them that way for a weekend. May try it again sometime, as many claim no need for a tweet.

Regards,

Terry

PS EDIT: Are you running two or three-way?

PS EDIT: Are you running two or three-way?

i ran it two-way for a day. i experienced the same "where did my tweeter go?" ordeal.

it was later confirmed by al and dean that the crossover modification they suggested would not work correctly, so i said screw it and put everything back together. as far as i know, the upper frequencies shouldn't have been affected by the crossover error, only the crossover point, so my opinion may still be valid.

Yes, shipping by USPS to Canada is a pain, but it

is a lot cheaper at the border than UPS. I will gladly wait the extra

week to save the $50 brokerage fee that UPS charges.

Don, FedEx ground is not any better either. I just paid $55 in

taxes+brokerage fees for an item valued at $100. Any seller who insists

on UPS of FedEx will lose my business. I've had very good

experience with USPS and I will only use USPS from now on.

Kudret

Yes, shipping by USPS to Canada is a pain, but it is a lot cheaper at the border than UPS. I will gladly wait the extra week to save the $50 brokerage fee that UPS charges.

Don, FedEx ground is not any better either. I just paid $55 in taxes+brokerage fees for an item valued at $100. Any seller who insists on UPS of FedEx will lose my business. I've had very good experience with USPS and I will only use USPS from now on.

Kudret

The problem is these nice American companies do a great job shipping within the US, when they see the border, they see $$$$$$$$$. My nephew had a hockey card shipped via UPS to him and my brother refused to pay the charge and UPS reduced the fee to the equivalent of USPS. Now the cards only come USPS. Just chalk it up to corporate greed, isn't that the American Dream, or at least what business wants us to believe. [:(]