Paul's book????

When you read it, keep in mind that it is a vanity publication. I was vaguely offended by it. It seemed to be a caricature of the actual man many of us knew. It is never untruthful, but "the rest of the story" is probably more interesting. The parts that are missing were the parts that really made the man.

DRBILL

When you read it, keep in mind that it is a vanity publication.  I was vaguely offended by it.  It seemed to be a caricature of the actual man many of us knew.  It is never untruthful, but "the rest of the story" is probably more interesting.  The parts that are missing were the parts that really made the man.

DRBILL

Sounds like someone has a book to write.

; )

SETI WROTE: "Sounds like someone has a book to write."

; )

Maybe not. I was Paul's clergyman. There are ethical issues that preclude writing even the benign. There is a real blur between privileged and common knowledge.

I'll admit, it's a fun idea!

DRBILL

Dr Bill......As you know friends on this forum as well as your self have been asking for me to release the papers (letters) between Paul & George Ashworth. Although both are gone...The letters were given to me by the executor of george,s estate. He had no survivers. (He was going to pitch them in the trash). Although these letters are the close,s you will ever read on how paul arrived on solutions to his child the Klipschorn. I still feel reluctant.....Maybe selling these papers to a private collector would be my solution. Washing my hands of owning or distributing its content. So here i sit pondering its value to all of us. Or for now keeping silant.

DRBILL WROTE: Maybe not.  I was Paul's clergyman.  There are ethical issues that preclude writing even the benign.  There is a real blur between privileged and common knowledge. I'll admit, it's a fun idea! DRBILL

I understand but thats too bad I bet you have some whoppers to tell.

: )

Dr Bill......As you know friends on this forum as well as your self have been asking for me to release the papers (letters) between Paul & George Ashworth. Although both are gone...The letters were given to me by the executor of george,s estate. He had no survivers. (He was going to pitch them in the trash). Although these letters are the close,s you will ever read on how paul arrived on solutions to his child the Klipschorn. I still feel reluctant.....Maybe selling these papers to a private collector would be my solution. Washing my hands of owning or distributing its content. So here i sit pondering its value to all of us. Or for now keeping silant.

That's a tough call. I wish I knew what to tell you. I would be inclined to sit on them for perhaps twenty years. If there is still an interest, let them fly.

DRBILL

Read the whole thing and enjoy it. The man was amazing and the story, even when poorly told, is compelling. Just be prepared for the occasional nonsequitur and editing that will baffle you. When you're done, you might donate it to your local public library and take a tax deduction. Edited by DizRotus

• 3 weeks later...

After two and a half weeks of waiting received my book last Thursday. Finished it up the other night and uncertain what to think. The editting was mediocre at best, and the content which seemed to give you a vague idea of the man. The book seemed shallow, only seeming to skim the surface. I would have gladly waited longer and paid more for a book that was more indepth and certainly longer.

All in all I did enjoy the book, had a few chuckles, especially when he tore the radio out of his car. Sounds like something I would do. Wish I would have gotten this bug ten years ago. If so I believe I would have attended the first pilgrimage and possibly had a chance to meet the man that has had such an impact on his community. Not only the impact of Hope, but the academic, audio and world communities.

That's a tough call. I wish I knew what to tell you. I would be inclined to sit on them for perhaps twenty years. If there is still an interest, let them fly.

DRBILL

Sitting on those papers for 20 years will mean that many of us for whom their contents have the most meaning--those who knew him, or at least met him, and admire him and what he accomplished--may be gone.

Highly personal matters, if there are any in the letters, could be redacted, but his design philosophy, etc., shouldn't cause any ethical conflicts, considering how much he himself wrote on the subject.

I, too, think the letters should be donated sooner rather than later to either the Klipsch museum in Hope or the one at New Mexico State University. (I suspect NMSU would take better care of them.)