Question about SVS Subwoofers (The EAR, please chime in)

Catharsis147

Hey guys,

I have a 7.1 setup with RB-75's as fronts and (soon to be) surrounds, an RC-7 center, with RB-35's as rears. My two subs are an RW-10 and a Velodyne CHT-12. I would like to upgrade the subs, more specifically I would like to stick to just one and sell the two I have on ebay. I was looking at two SVS subs, the PB-12-Ultra and the PB-12-Plus/2. Does anyone know which one would be better? My room is medium sized and though it could give the real estate for the Plus/2, I would like to know peoples experiences so I can make a decision. Also, is their version of cherry going to match the cherry of the RB-75? Just curious. Thanks!

Oh!! Any other suggestions for subs in the 1,000 to 1500.00 category would be welcome also!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They have cherry? Last I saw: black, piano black, walnut, rosewood, and I think maple.

rsw-15 is around 1300

The pb12ultra single woofer will most likely go deeper and be less

distortion ridden. The pb12 plus/2 will have more spl some loss in

extention

They have cherry? Last I saw: black, piano black, walnut, rosewood, and I think maple.

rsw-15 is around 1300

The pb12ultra single woofer will most likely go deeper and be less distortion ridden. The pb12 plus/2 will have more spl some loss in extention

Their cherry is slightly different than the Klipsch cherry. I posted the difference last year on these boards so you can do a search.

There is no loss of extension between the Ultra and the Plus drivers; the difference being the plus will leave off at max spl where the Ultra will still have a few dB left above the plus.

It's a much different sound than the RSW series. The SVS subs in general excel in extension. Looking for a sub to still kick you in the pants real good at 16hz? These are them.

Jay, I actually, I meant save the money to afford the new subs from Klipsch. The new ones look to be pretty steep from the RSW's, you are right. Ill try to do a search for that posting. So if these subs sound different than the RSW's, should I just get a Klipsch sub and forgo the SVS?

Hi

How big is your room? Vaulted ceilings and does it open into another room?

I have had a slew of SVS subs, PB10s, PC+2039s, PB12/2s, PCUs in many various configurations.

Are you looking for Max SPL? If so look no further than the PB12+/2 great bang for the buck..

If you are looking for a sub that is equal to either task, music and movie Realms then the Ultra driver is the one. I feel the plus is great for movies and very good in music.

Out of all the subs I have had I like the PCUltra best. Although it does not have the SPL that /2 subs have I opted to get 2 PCU.

I am currently running RB75s and an RC7 up front with crossovers are 100HZ with dual PCUltras handling the bass. From my past experience with RF7s and PB12+/2 in the previous set ups I prefer what I am currently running.

I have heard a PB12U/2 and it is sweet. I wish I had the room in my HT.

If you email SV Sounds they might be able to mail you a sample of their veneer. Also, they will be able to give you the down and dirty between the + and Ultra.

The www.hometheaterspot.com has a forum dedicated for SVS products. I would recommend visiting. Believe it or not they will most likely provided you with several other subs to look into. The people there are are of the same character of the people here "simply great".

Scott

The ultra can take about 800 -1000 watts RMS no problem. I feel SVS under powers their subwoofers, the ISD's should have 500 watts and the ultra should have 1000 per driver.

Its a lot more money I guess... The IDS's suck up that 320 watts very fast. The Amp really can't keep up under heavy loads.

The ultra can take about 800 -1000 watts RMS no problem. I feel SVS under powers their subwoofers, the ISD's should have 500 watts and the ultra should have 1000 per driver.

Its a lot more money I guess... The IDS's suck up that 320 watts very fast. The Amp really can't keep up under heavy loads.

I also agree with that assumption. I have a feeling that around 50% more power would be ideal for my pluses. There's nothing wrong with the amp, it's just the weakest link in the system. With 2 plus drivers, a one-inch thick enclosure and good internal bracing, I think it could even handle double like you say.

by the way, the difference between the plus and ultra below. That thing is a beast.

post-13941-13819283949946_thumb.jpg

I believe the reason they underpower svs subwoofer is not to have crazy

port noise. As stated by hometheatersecrets or so that the SVS B4 could

easily except a crown k1 amp and the k2 was optimal but there were

tests that used a 4000 watt amp or so... The b4 is also underported as

per designers claims but they said that the port noise is irrelavant

since the spl required to achieve port noise is stupid.

Sorry to chime in late,this forum is painfully slow on a P3.And at work. [:P]

I would go with an SVS Ultra using a single TV12 woofer rather than dual dB12 woofers.As the TV12 will have plenty of displacement and maximum sub bass quality. Dual dB12's will give you an extra few dB in max output,and where a single TV12 is not enough dual dB12's will not be satisfactory IMHO.

And PS...do not judge by the pics posted.The TV12 as monstrous as it looks is not twice or even 50% more capable(displacement) as a single dB12. Its more of an extra cone acceleration/braking due to the more potent motor structure .The imposing frame does little to enhance performance. [;)]

Jay, I would agree..

CAS, Well thats good to hear that at least the drivers are not the weakest link. It may not be a surprise now, but I work for TC Sounds so I deal with SVS parts all the time. Yes, the Ultra driver is vastly more expensive and is exclusively made in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />US. It's based on a very robust platform which is anything but cheap, I would take the single ultra over the dual dB's also, but since its me, I would just build my own woofers to my own likings :) I cant wait until we get our next generation of neodymium linear motors out on the market. Im also dying to tear apart that new RT-12 subwoofer from Klipsch. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Im also a big Klipsch fan, so I hope Im welcome here.

:)

hahaha your going to reverse engineer our beloved stuff!

But anyways neodymium I knew it as adire already started to use it on

their extremis. Just cost is the major issure but for pound for pound I

believe neodymium is 100 or more times stronger than a regular magnet.

Also neodymium has a higher tolerance for heat but what is next rare

cobalt woofers! (for those that do not know, it is even more powerful

then neodymium) Heh then liquid cooled superconducter subwoofers?

hahaha your going to reverse engineer our beloved stuff!

But anyways neodymium I knew it as adire already started to use it on their extremis. Just cost is the major issure but for pound for pound I believe neodymium is 100 or more times stronger than a regular magnet. Also neodymium has a higher tolerance for heat but what is next rare cobalt woofers! (for those that do not know, it is even more powerful then neodymium) Heh then liquid cooled superconducter subwoofers?

I use tungsten carbide subwoofers