Question about SVS Subwoofers (The EAR, please chime in)

Catharsis147

Thank you CJ,

I think I will, though I have to say it is somewhat mysterious why someone would post such a long reply praising the SVS subwoofers so quickly after paul's comments......... I do think this topic should be put to rest. Reading all of the links from Paul, it does seem like people either love or hate SVS subs; but the haters are correct, the SVS people should start their own forum rather than going onto others, if anything to avoid being accused of shamelessly promoting their products. I think the SVS people will always have a vested interest in taking pride in their products and helping others to solve issues with them, but they shoould do so in their own forums (like Klipsch does). Haters of SVS should just move on and relax. If you like your sub over SVS, great; but people that can afford expensive subs (specifically the guy with the Revel) should not feel threatened by people whose subs are, what, a tenth or twentieth of the price? If I own a Buggati Veyron and a guy tells me his Porshe is a better value (or what-have-you), I think I'll live..........

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paul sounds like he doesn't know a sub from a sub sandwich. All opinion and heresay with no fact. By the way his baited assumptions and theories go he sounds like he's probably quite young. "I heard Klipsch subs have tissue paper cones and cottage cheese baskets. Mine bottoms out even when it's turned off. Sounds like they have problems."

Catharsis:

I agree that it is somewhat suspicious that a long pro-post came from a new forum member just after Paul's comments. And I also agree that if Ron and Tom (of SVS) maintained their own forum, that would go a long way to help alleviate some of the SVS hatred that appears to be out there.

That being said, even though this is a Klipsch forum - this forum is a bit different than most others. Even though Klipsch makes certain speakers, subs, and amps, they allow the free exchange and debate of ideas and impression about other brands of speakers, subs, amps, etc.

To their credit.

Some times last year, the mere mention of SVS drew defensive comments from Klipsch sub owners.

Relax, we can talk about the merits of many different brands - even in a Klipsch forum.

Carl.

P.S. I am also the first to admit that some of the pro-SVS stuff in the subwoofer section last year was pretty over the top. Lets just keep everything in perspective. SVS makes some decent subs. I also like some others better.

Please pelase,stop fighting about some low pressure air pumps. [:P]

There are those who will always have negative things to say about certain products no matter how well they perform,any sub,any electro mechanical device has limits and can reach a point of failure.SVS subs considering the price VS performance place pretty much at the top.

Before an SVS with a TV12 woofer bottoms out it takes alot of power and a very low frequency,these cases are few and just to show the Ultra may bottom out. I have torture tests that punish any sub made I heard so far. And so what

What's funny is...

If Paul would have read the rest of the string he posted himself about the TV-12's bottoming out, he would have read that the person admitted he didn't know how to calibrate his system and and found out he was running the sub 18dB hot with LOTR at reference level. And SVS overnighted him another free driver regardless of his neglect.

What's funny is...

If Paul would have read the rest of the string he posted himself about the TV-12's bottoming out, he would have read that the person admitted he didn't know how to calibrate his system and and found out he was running the sub 18dB hot with LOTR at reference level. And SVS overnighted him another free driver regardless of his neglect.

rofl - classic

Wow, what a can of worms here, in response to the surround, its thin to provide higher efficiency. The TV12 has dual spiders which prevent it from ripping the surround. The TV12 may be bottoming out because the input source is probably very high on whoever was testing it. The TV12 is not the end all best 12 subwoofer in the world by any standard, it has its limits and clearly, they can be found. It gets plenty of respect so it can suffer some criticism, we enjoy that at TC (in small doses of course). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Sorry to disappoint some of you but I have no ties to SVS. I to am one of those who felt that SVS was all talk and had plants on every forum. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I ordered one. I have owned too many of the well knowns and always felt that there was better available. I have RF7's, RC7 and RS35's so yes I am a Klipsch lover. I too get upset when I hear the anti Klipsch crowd talk about them being bright or forward so I know how you felt about my comments. I say that some of their components contribute to the brightness. Mine are not bright to me or any who have heard them.

While I have enjoyed the many pieces of HT equipment that I have owned I have kept an open mind about things that could improve it. The SVS was one of those great improvements. You never know what you have missed if you never try it. I realize that many will defend what they own no matter how terrible it may sound. You are the one who is missing out.

Sound is subjective to the listener. While I prefer ultra deep and undistorted sound there are those who prefer the boomy splattered bass sound. Neither is wrong, just different. Thankfully we all have the right to buy as we choose.

My .02 I am also a Klipsch lover. That being said, I have recommended SVS on a number of occasions based on having owned 2 different models. My recommendations are based on their exceptional bang for the buck and even better customer service, which I have experienced first hand. I also do not work for SVS nor do I have any financial intrest in their company. On the other hand, they do have limits as one would expect. A 10" driver will not fill a large room with reference level bass, no matter how much it's hyped. In addition it IS possible to bottom an Ultra driver (sounds nasty by the way). I'd still have mine if not for the fact I built an IB. There ARE better options out there, but SVS is hard to beat in the value department for other than DIY bass.