LF-10 bit the dust...

edster00

Well it seems my ubid purchased Klipsch LF-10 seems to have "bit the dust" tonight. It has power, the front light works, but the woofers don't woof. The front woofer has a faint movement to it but the other 2 don't.

I looked up my ubid receipt...you guessed it...a 1 year warranty. I purchased it 10/9/00 so it lasted 2 weeks past the warranty period.

I will of course call Klipsch tomorrow to see what they think, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

I used this for 2 channel only, to supplement my K-horns. I don't want to throw a lot of money into a repair, what other sub is fast enough to keep up with and blend with the K-horns? SVS?

TIA for any help/advice you have to offer.

------------------

Ed W

As ususal, Klipsch customer service came through for me! I have an RMA # to return the sub's amp.

I am still thinking about upgrading my sub though...I just wish the SVS's weren't so HUGE.

Any other suggestions for a sub to complement my K-horns in a 2 channel only rig?

TIA

------------------

Ed W

SVS would be a great choice(Ultras),if you want a very small sub with BIG output and solid bass down to below 25Hz the Sunfire Mark II and Signature are it.

Its not the tiny Sunfire Junior listed in the TN sub list.The Mark II and Signature has deeper bass and much more output.

I compared the Mark II to the LF-10 and the LF-10 was not even close.The Sunfire Mark II outperformed the LF-10 by a wide margin.

And the Sunfire Signature is in another league,only the BIG Velodyne HGS-18,Revel B15 and the twin Ultras can out SUB BASS it.And not by much,all four can shake the floor,walls and anything in the room.Its serious power down to 20Hz.And around 25 its inhuman.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 4 weeks later...

Klipsch-daddy,

I was planning on selling the LF-10 when I got the amp back.

The amp came back last week, exactly 1 week after Klipsch received it (pretty good turn around time I'd say).

I hooked the sub back up to check it out...I'm amazed at the bass that little box can produce. I don't think I am going to sell it now, I like it too much. I think it blends quite well with my K-horns, in my room Smile.gif

I do plan of trying the "insulation in the bass bin mod" from another thread, though. If I decide I want to sell it I will contact you.

------------------

Ed W

Edster---The best turnkey (kind'a, you'd have to supply the crossover and an amp, best use a prosound amp comfortable putting lots of power into a low impedence), direct-radiating sub is the Servo-Drive Contrabass. It has the output, and more importantly the low distortion, to work with a pair of basshorns. 2 15" cones driven by a rotary electric motor, high output at very low frequencies with none of the distortion and compression inherant in long-stroking dynamic drivers. This is prosound gear and not as turnkey as home subs and the box is ugly but the Contrabass makes less compromises than any other direct-radiator.

Bob G.---Some have reported some noise from the Contrabass at low sound levels. However, on the several occasions I've heard them in domestic settings I heard no noise. I've listened to both music and laserdisc movies through them so I've heard them working at both high and low levels. The motor is enclosed in a stout box with 2-15s and 2 18" passive radiators, this evidently does a pretty good job of suppressing motor noise. Several people on the Basslist own Contrabasses and have even built their own, for awhile basslist members were offered kits by Servo-Drive, you might enquire there for other's opinions on the noise issue. Thinking of licenseing it? :-)

Nope, just personally interested in knowing more. Klipsch showed our version of an ultimate subwoofer a few yeas back at CES. Used 4 Khorn LF sections modified to take 18" drivers and placed horizontally at the junction of the floor and the wall. Driven by four enormous amps with EQ and the system was flat to something like 7 Hz at about 120 dB in room. A truly frightening demo. Made all who were in the room more than a few minutes quite queasy. Felt like an earthquake ( a real one ) or something. Lots of interest but we ultimately decided it was not a practial consumer product.