Quartets without risers

oldtimer

Stack em on some books to test it out. Typically you want the tweeter around ear level. The risers help get you there. IIRC, the Quartets are shorter then F/C.

My gut says lift them up a bit...your ears will tell you if my gut is correct.

OT may be talking about the riser attached to the bottom of the Quartet which is about two inches tall. The upper portion of the riser forms the black indent around the bottom. Everything above the black indent is the box itself.

When you turn the speaker upside down there is two inches of space before you see the bottom of the box. The riser is attached with plastic inserts and screws.

It is a clever way of making it look like the speaker from floor to the top is one piece with the black indent as decoration. Actually you have the box and a rectangle.

I can see how if someone wanted to reduce height to a minimum you would take off that riser.

I don't know about value.

Gil

Basically, this is why I ask:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1146961303

I am still considering purchasing a pair for my dad, but if you have to get them off the floor on after market stands (or find oem risers) to get the proper sound then I might as well look to score some cheap Forte's. $450 is high I would think, but the ad says or best offer, just wondering how much less, or if it would be worth it.