Should I consider this trade off Audiogon?

Coytee

I've got my SE-OTL's (pair) listed on A-gon. I've had one or two general questions about them but today, I got this email:

Hi there,

I was wondering if you would consider an outright trade of your amps in exchange for my pair of Transcendent T8 OTL monoblocks. The tubes have all been deep cryogenically treated by the Cold Fire process. The T8's are in immaculate condition. I have the boxes and owner's manual. Shipping weight is about 40 pounds each. See the Transcendent web site for reviews, etc. Winner of TAS Golden Ear Award, Stereophile Class A recommended.

Thank you in advance,

Brad Vojtech

Founder/Owner,

Revelation Audio Labs

www.revelationaudiolabs.com

In truth, I'd be just as happy selling the OTL's, HOWEVER, I must admit, I AM a bit curious as to if I'd like their larger siblings AND a pair of them recently sold for a bit more than I'm asking so it would be a small benefit in my favor. One of the beefs I had with the SE-OTL's, I simply like more volume than they can deliver. Their sound is as good as anything I've heard, as long as you stay within it's comfort zone.

Anyone care to chime in if I should look into this further? (And Wayne, this doesn't affect any of my considerations with you at all...well, much [;)] )

Coytee,

Unless you are intensely curious about the T8, and don't mind putting them up for sale after listening for a while, it is probably not a great trade. (that would be my guess about what you'd end up doing)

The offer to trade is certainly interesting and one doesn't get the opportunity to get T8's all the time. It's not a bad deal, IMO.

However, in my understanding of Bruce R's amp development, the T8 is a previous generation to the SE OTL and even the T16. He no longer offers the T8 (as I remember) You have already been listening to a quieter amp and one with greater detail and resolution than the T8. In a phone conversation, Bruce told me that the sE OTL was the best sounding amp he had ever built.

There is something to be said about the bass dynamics inherent in higher powered amps. After I had the SE OTLs I got a factory built T16 and it was very nice, with somewhat more dynamic bass, but I didn't keep it in the stable all that long.

Well (fellow earlybird [:D] ) that was exactly what I was hoping to hear and to be frank, from one of the people I was hoping to hear it from!

Thank you.

I AM very interested to hear them... I have already presumed I'd bring them in & move them out. The wife would kill me (looks like I'm acquiring yet another amp from Wayne)

Funny how some wives just don't understand... after all, they (or at least my wife) can whimsically, bring home a new this or a new that... yet they (she) just don't understand it when you've got a gorgeous McIntosh MC-2102 on one Khorns, a pair of MC-30's on the other, a pair of SEOTL's on the floor, a dbx bx3 on the floor and yet another amp on the way....

what is it that they just don't get?

[:$]

I guess given what I'm hearing you say, I'll probably pass on them. No one (yet) has jumped up to say "great deal...go for it".

The problem could be that not too many people around here have first-hand experiences with those amps.

Personally I only know the SEOTL and would not consider parting with it (perhaps a sub-supported Khorn helps?). What I'd certainly make sure is that the T-8 has got Bruce's low noise option on board. In my understanding this is advisable with high sensitivity speakers.

Sorry for not being of more help.

Wolfram

Coytee:

I can uderstand your curiosity -- I feel the same way, and the T8s did get some good reviews. They are probably pretty good sounding amplifiers.

I've never heard them before, and so just can't offer an opinion on them other than to say I think Rozenblit is a talented designer.

Also, depending on the efficiency of the speakers they would be used with, there may be some noise problems if they don't have the low-noise option of the other Transcendent Amps. Do you happen to know what speakers the seller is using them with?

Still, there is something to me that is immediately grabbing and captivating about OTL amplifiers, and I would be curious. But, that curiosity is not just motivated by what their sonic qualities might be. I'm interested in the design aspect, and always like to try to learn. I would be tempted, but maybe not for all the same reasons others might be -- which are VERY important reasons!

I think Dee's advice is very good! I love the sound of the SE OTLs I'm borrowing right now, but I have always wondered about the T8s. Visually they're pretty neat, but the package of course has little to do with the performance.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Erik

Coytee,

While I can't offer any advice for your amp situation, I have done business with Brad a few times. He is honest and a pleasure to deal with. On top of that he makes the best cables that I have ever heard with Khorns/McIntosh.

So even if the amp deal doesn't work out, you may want to consider a demo of some cables for your system.

Best of luck!

Coytee,

Yes, I know that wives don't understand a man's desire to hear an amp... especially if the man doesn't anticipate that it would be a long term acquisition.

Well, I did hear a politically incorrect, sexist and despicable joke this week, I'd offer in honor of your considerations on swapping for the T8's.

Q: "Do you know the difference between a terrorist and a woman on PMS?"

A: "You can negotiate with the terrorist!"

Erik,

You know this pair of SE OTLs Coytee has on Audiogon... one of them is the amp you built for me a couple of years ago. IMO, that means built better than Bruce's own.

Its a bit late but I'll chime in. I had a T-8 in my system for a few months and a pr of T-8 monos for a weekend and found them to be very fast and detailed but also a bit bloated on the bottom-end and too noisy on my Khorns. At the time, I thought they would make a good match with horns but in the end, the noise was not tolerable. I didn't listen to another OTL amp until the SEOTL got all those rave reviews and Bruce said it was as quiet as anything out there (which is not quite true).

I really enjoy the SEOTL bridged (4 watts) - it has the detail and speed of OTL and almost gets the air and presence of a SET amp. Bottom line, I wouldn't suggest the T-8 unless you're using something other than high-efficiency speakers or you aren't easily bothered by a bit of noise.