TUBE INFO

jcmusic

Canyonman,

A SET topology amp is a low powered Single Ended Triode amp.

It uses a single power tube for power. For example a 2A3 SET amp, perhaps the most popular of the bunch produces 3.5 watts per channel.

They are very sweet sounding amps, and work well with the high efficiency Heritage horns.

A PP amp, is called this because it is Push Pull methodology.

It uses, say two, power tubes that work in tandem to produce higher power. Most tube amps are PP amps.

there are others on the forum who can explain the tech issues involved.

Yeh,

SET is known for it's lush midrange. It sounds fabulous with acoustic jazz and female vocals. Ssome of my favorites are among those. Somepeople describe the sound of SET as magic. It's not of course, but it does have some very realistic and live sounding characteristics.

PP will have more punch and bass dynamics. It's pretty interesting, actually to hear the two topologies. There is a difference.

Some people REALLY love the sound of SET. It leaves some folks cold.

I actually like both of them.

Have got a pair of Wright 2A3 amps and think they sound fabulous... particularly with my favorites... Diana Krall and various acoustic and electric blues.

Also have a pair of Dynaco Mark III's which are about 60 wpc. They are very clean sounding and I like the bass dynamics they offer.

Picking one, tough choice, but I'd probably take the Dynacos, for their all round performance.

I've yet to hear a SET amp I could live with long term. I just need more dynamics because of the different types of music I listen to and to me, a low powered SET amp peters out before I get the dynamics I'm after, even at lower volumes. I've heard a few that were supposed to be the cat's meow and they sounded dull and lifeless to me.

Others will strongly disagree which is fine. To each his/her own. I've been saying that a lot lately.[;)]

Canyonman,

I've heard a couple different ASL (Antique Sound Labs) SET amps, both a 2A3 and 300B, a couple different Wright amps, and a few others that I can't remember. I'd have to ask the owners what they were. A couple were pretty darn expensive. I've also heard a couple cheaper SETs that were just horrible IMO (DARED and Decware come to mind). Some folks love them and I respect their opinions. They're just not for me.

My only experience with integrated amps is with vintage gear.

Scott 299b

Scott 299c

Scott 222c

Eico HF-81

These are all very good, if rebuilt well. The market is somewhat pricey on original units now, making it somewhat expensive to buy one of these on Ebay and then send it off to a rebuilder. NOSValves.com is a good one and a member of this forum.

In terms of bang for the buck, if you can find one of these that has been compentently rebuilt, it can be a very nice unit. If someone else has paid for the rebuild, you can save some bucks.

There are some current manufactured tube integrated amps on the market, but I have no experience with them.

I certainly prefer the 2A3, itself a wonderful tube, and if that means SET, then so much the better, classic Klipsch corner Khorns are some of the few spkrs that low-powered 2A3 amplifiers can actually drive

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The push-pull topology divides the signal to supply more power and as unbelievable as it may seem, we do seem to be able to detect a lack of coherency with P/P amplifiers,

On the other hand, I have a powerful sub to help my $500 BottleHead 2A3 Paramour monoblocks (kit) and I cant really see using something like them unless you do have a solid-state amplifier to drive the bass

Refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers - like the Scott, especially when refurbished by somebody like fellow poster NOSvalves - are the third best bargain in audio, right behind big ole horns and the $35 Sonic Impact 5066 class T digital amplifier!

[H]

I certainly prefer the 2A3, itself a wonderful tube, and if that means SET, then so much the better, classic Klipsch corner Khorns are some of the few spkrs that low-powered 2A3 amplifiers can actually drive

On the other hand, I have a powerful sub to help my $500 BottleHead 2A3 Paramour mono blocks (kit) and I cant really see using something like them unless you do have a solid-state amplifier to drive the bass

Hello,
My 2 channel setup reflects Colins thoughts here.
I run my Scala's 2way with a 511/902 for the highs,these being driven by Wavelength Gemini monos (2 watts per side with the 45 tube,4 watts with the 2a3).The lows are driven by SS power.The signals are divided by an active x-over before the amps.
I find this combination to be very satisfying.The midrange is incredible as most SET amps are known for,and the bass power issue is covered by the SS amps.Granted it is a more expensive route to nirvana but worth the results imo.
I feel I have maximized the sonic traits and low power output of the SET design,just another road to explore.
Greg

steamer i see where you had some decware gear at one time, how did you like that stuff?

I still have them and doing a comparison with these new Wavelength's.I must say the WL's are very good, better than the Decwares in most ways but not as much as you would think.Different tubes,different flavor.The Decwares have alot of that magic.

The Decwares retail for $750 ea.Mine are modded internally for mono.Thus 2 amps with the output tubes parreled.These WL retail for $5500 new(I would not pay that much and found them used).

In comparing them I am impressed with the Decwares for their price in my system configuration.The WL's are better for sure but we are talking different tubes and designs for each amp.I cant say the sound is the same except for maybe the SET design.I really like the sound of the 45 tube.I haven't heard the 2a3 tube in them yet.Only had them in the system 2 days.The Decwares use the EL84/6bq5 output tube.A nice sounding tube imo.Some people on this forum don't care for them(Decware)and that is ok.We all have different tastes.I think the Decwares are a very good amp in the right system.In mine I found them to be very clear and smooth with lots of detail.I also have some very good tubes in them ie.Mullard rectifiers,RCA 6bq5 power and Siemens 6922 drivers,all NOS.

If I didn't have this itch to explore the 45 and 2a3 tubes,I could be perfectly happy with the Decwares.I have spent way to much the last year and cant afford both sets of amps.

In fact the Decwares are part of a trade/cash deal for the Wavelength's and not mine anymore.Randy the previous owner of the WL's told me to keep the Decwares for a week or so and make a direct comparison.If I didn't like the WL's then send them back to him.Great guy to work with.I have to say as good as the Decwares are(in my system)these Wavelengths are staying with me.

Greg

a pic of the Geminis

post-15498-13819284020614_thumb.jpg

Greg, the reason i ask is i picked up a scott 299 to try out. You know to see if i would like the tube sound or not. I am sold on the sound i really like what iam hearing. So i am trying to decide on what setup to go with, intergraed amp, or seperates. I looked at the Decware stuff among others and was kind of leaning

in that direction. The prices are not too bad and you get that lifetime warranty, i kind of like that.

Jay