Klipsch Modding - Has It Gone Too Far?

chops

I haven't read all the previous posts here. I don't have the time right now. IMHO we're all here because we like the sound of well reproduced music and we're not wealthy. For the $$$ Klipsch does deliver the best reroduction for the bucks. For a lttle more $$$ the basis of the Klipsch design can be improved to a better level. This might even be a personal level, one that Klipsch could not put into a line manufactured product at keep its cost at all reasonable.

There is no reason to criticize those who have modded their equipment. It was not done arbitrarily nor out of any disrepect for the product line or the venerable man himself. Rather I feel it exemplifies what Mr. Klipsch was about.... striving for perfection. He knew how to deliver the best he could deliver for a modest price point. If he were alive this day and found the market amenable to extravagant and costly design could you imagine what he might contrive?

The whole point to this thread was to simply find out why people made mods to their Klipsch speakers, not to criticize anyone.

If you have read some of my other threads, you will see that I too have started doing mods to my Cornwalls, which have now been transformed into Cornscalas. And the thing is, I'm still not done modding. [;)]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...................It's kind of like with my Mazda Miata. That car was designed to mimic the old britsh roadsters and be an excellent handling little FUN car that can be tossed in and out of corners with a flick of the wrist; light and nimble. It wasn't designed for power and speed. So when you get one of those Ford V8 motor swap kits for it, you now have a very powerfull and fast little Miata, but is doesn't handle worth a crap anymore and has no traction. It's no longer a TRUE Miata anymore. It's an abomination somewhere between a Ford Mustang and a shoe box at that point.

HA! Check out "Monster Miata"!!! Uses a 5.0L Mustang power plant![A]

Terry

..............That's funny. I would think (at least as the CWs are concerned), the cabinets would be the weakest link more that the drivers............

IMHO, the k600 is the weakest link. I get flamed for listening to the SPL's that I do, but before the mid horn change .........I JUST COULDN'T STAND THE RASP & HASH!

I believe that the box, its size and shape, internal volume, and port size is the BEST thing about a CW. All it needs is a little bracing. The bass bins are the True design of PWK. He did not design the K77 or K55. ?

I bought me first pair in '77 and second pair in '75. Listened to and loved them stock for 30 odd years. John Ellis told me about the filter mods that he had done. He sent me a pair of upgraded Xovers as a gift. They were SO much better than the 30 year old stock units. Then came the mid horns, and then the drivers. I am NOT one of those guys that think every mod that I have done sounds better. I am not, and have said so in the past.

To me, the CW bass bins and old K-33 contribute the majority of the "Klipsch Sound" in a Cornwall. When I hit the on button, I hear a Cornwall, .........a better Cornwall.

Regards,

Terry

I think many have gone so far overboard they probably don't even remember what their speakers originally sounded like. If that's what they like, that's their business. Personally, I love the original Klipsch sound which is why I've kept my original drivers. Crossovers are a different issue IMO and I'm glad I updated mine. I improved my speaker's performance and still kept the "Klipsch sound."

To each his/her own.

...........I think many have gone so far overboard they probably don't even remember what their speakers originally sounded like......

Thats one of the reasons that I keep one pair Stock.[:P]