Looking to improve my set up. would like some input from others

pumalicious

Ill admit i dont know a whole lot about audio systems other than the face that i like them.

i am currently trying to upgrade/improve my home stereo. mine is

great as it is but id like more. here is what i have

2 Klipsch quartet floor loudspeakers

Nakamichi TA-4A Receiver / High Definition Tuner Amplifier

each are from approx 1991.

I definitely want to keep the speakers. and the receiver

But i dont know what do as far as getting

more speakers (if so what kinds will match up well), a subwoofer, and

any other equipment that might be needed.

Please help me out giving me your advice, or opinions. Any feedback is much appreciated

Hi, I think a sub would definately be something to look at. I had been running Heresies by themselves, up until about 6 years ago, and with the addition of the sub made a clear improvment to the Heresies lack of bass.

You do not mention any source components, so here's another option. Most DVD players also play CDs, and if tied in with a TV and your existing audio system, could make for improved movie enjoyment.

Not being familar with that Nak, it doesn't sound like it's a surround sound type of A/V reciever. Is this the case, and you'd just like to add another pair of speakers to a remote location?

We'll try to get you up to speed.

I'm with ironwoods on this one in that I'm not sure which direction your heading here!

You might want to look into a nice sub and CD player, my good buddy just bought the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C and it's a very nice upsampling machine for the money and I think it is a good starting point for a digital front end.

If your planning on just running both sets of speakers A/B on the receiver in the same room I would look for another pair just like the ones you have and matching will be a moot issue. If you want a second pair in another room then your have a pleathora of options!

"So hefy, would you say I have a pleathora of Pinata's?" (Could not resist!)

The Nakamichi TA line was very good stuff so I think you have a great little unit there and you can't really go wrong with any Klipsch product[:D]

This is one of my old ones which I sold to a good buddy who is still enjoying the dog out of!

post-18681-13819284368274_thumb.jpg

Ive been looking into a couple of subs. Klipsch sub 12 and klipsch sub 10.

I also was looking at a

Klipsch - Synergy III 5-1/4" 2-Way Center-Channel Speaker

but im not exactly sure of the benefits. I know what a sub can do

to my system so i think thats set. but i dont know if i should

build up for a surround sound, or if i should try to find another pair

of the same speakers(if possible). Im pretty positive my receiver isnt

capable of taking a surround but im unsure. All i see in the back

are hookups for 4 speakers and an array for hookups for cd player,

video 1, video 2, tuner etc. Either way is a possibility.

im just wanting something thats gonna sound badass. Right now the the

2 more speaker and sub addition sounds like a winner, but do i want to

go with the same speakers, do i want to get a center channel speaker,

would i rather get some good bookshelf speakers etc.????

I have to agree with the advice you have been given so far, however, I can add this from my original foray into Home Theater, I used a Nakamichi TA-2 to drive the mains (also doubled as a 2-channel that way) and purchased an Acurus 3-channel amp to round out the extra speaker needs (Center and rear surrounds). This would allow you to keep your Nak receiver and save money towards the sub and other speakers you will need until you are ready to make a jump to a full home theater set up. Two Nak PA-5's can usually be had for about $1,000 but there are many compatible amps like the Acurus which would do just as well. Best of Luck!

Edit: In my haste, I neglected a most important part, the surround processor, I used an Acurus Act 3, which can still be found quite reasonably, even new Aragon Stage One processors are around and reasonable although at a greater expense.