Question for Denon 3802 Owners

easyeyes

I'm thinking of purchasing a 3802 or Onkyo 787/797 around the new year. I've heard that the denon line up is extremely bright when matched with KLF 30s, in you opinion what is the sound? I'm looking for something that's going to push the 30s but still have a tight, high-end sound. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated on the denon and onkyo.

Thanks

Denon is known for being a "warmer" sounding receiver. And that makes it a good match for Klipsch speakers. If a poll was done to see which receiver people owned, Denon would be at the top of the list, followed closely by Yamaha.

Get the Denon and don't look back, you will be happy with the sound, features, and all around solid peice of equipment.

Good Luck

------------------

Home Theater Page

The Ear/Myram

Thanks for your reply. I've heard a lot of good things about Denon, I have a CD player by them and it's been great. I wish that availability would allow me to try both units simultaneously, but that's hard to coordinate being overseas. This is why I really enjoy this BB, where else can you come as close to having it yourself without the cost?

Thanks

Easyeyes

I just bought the Denon AVR 3802. While I am still in the set up stage I would agree WOW just on music alone. ( Nice Warm clean and loud too.) Never have my K horns EVER sounded so sweet. Now if I can just figure out what wire goes where to get the home theatre set up and going I will be in heaven.

You know when you spend $1,000.00 + - on a new system like this, it should be required for the store to have someone to set it up for you too. ( LOL ) As a kid I could have done this blindfolded...as an almost 40 yr old...in a few days...and maybe it was because it was late too...at 3,4, am last night... I was really frustrated too.

But like Arnold Schwartzenager sais..I'll be back...LOL...

While I don't have the Denon 3802, I have moved up from its predecessors--the 3200 and 3300 over the past three years. I'm running them with some Paradigm Studio Reference speakers (20s and CC450) that have aluminum tweeters and while the sound is a bit more agressive than my tube based system, I don't think that it's due to the Denon.

As Myram stated, Denon is a bit on the warmer side relative to the Yammies, Kenwoods, et al. Save for Harmon Kardon, people tend to favor the Denons for two channel playback.

Personally, there are limits to receivers, even top notch ones. As the saying goes:

"Jack of all trades, master on none."

I'm happy with my 3300 and wouldn't hesitate moving up to the next model should the need arise.

Good luck to you, Chris

PS: I'm testing the 'signature' aspect of this board by listing my system, if it's too obtrusive, I'll nix it.

------------------

2 Channel #1:

Dynaudio Contour 3.0s

in black ash veneer.

Cary SLAM 100 monoblocs set to 95w Triode.

Blue Circle Galatea tube preamp.

Sony SCD-1 SACD player and ART DI/O DAC.

Kuzma Stabi w/external

PSU, Stogi Reference arm, Lyra Lydian B MC (.4mV) cart, SF Phono 1 SE tube stage.

PP300 and Chang CLS 9600 ac conditioners.

Stealth PGS ICs, Audio Note AN-VZ silver ICs, Vampire Wire ST-III copper spkr. cables and Shunyata Black Mamba & NBS AC III/Serpent II ac cords.

2 Channel #2

Wright Mono 8 300B monoblocs.

Doc Bottlehead's full blown Foreplay tube preamp.

Alesis Masterlink 9600 4.3g HD CD burner w/Dodson 217 mkII 'D v.1' DAC.

1974 Cornwall w/vertically arranged Alnico magnet drivers.

Italian ESB 7/08 3-way floor standers w/1" silk dome tweeters, 2" silk dome Mids and 10" woofers.

Restored Dynaco FM-1 w/stereo board tube tuner

Chris,

I would just get rid of the blank lines in between the text. As a side note, it looks like you have one hell of a setup. I posted this previously and not sure if you saw it, but theEar(s) also has the Dynaudio Contour 3.0's and swears by them. He posted earlier in this thread...

Mike

OK, so far so good. I finally got most of the Denon AVR 3802 done (E.G.) Hookups, even with bad directions, and most of the remote. I agree this is a great sounding amp for the Klipsch sounding horns. Warm, but very powerful and screaming "Live" even better than any theatre HT like experience too, when you want it. It sounds good at low levels as well.... So so far so good. I will keep you posted as I experiment more. BUT!!!!!!

***VERY IMPORTANT TO CONSIDER***

I will say the Manual for Denon is HORRIBLE. When I was younger, I could hook things like this in my sleep in say 10 min tops, reconfigure the remote and all. This is the worst remote to figure out I have ever had. Eventually had to unplug the Amp push two buttons at the same time as I plugged it back in simutaniously and start over. Not once but twice to get the origional factory pre sets. Denon has no 1( 800) for dummies line, for people with questions, so at a very late hour, frustrated, and downright mad (because I couldn't get it to do what I wanted)...I called the home office for Denon and left a very mean voice message to the above problem with my name and phone number too..LOL (I doubt I get a return call)

Oh well..What we Audiophiles do to gain pleasure sometimes...??? In this case, the AVR 3802 has a very poor layout, and the directions in the manual were like a very bad BDSM session I didn't want...LOL