Update..poops & clicks.

oldenough

Picked up the sae 5000 impulse noise reduction unit, rather than have to get into my system i put together a rig using my recent thrift store finds. Kg4's, nad 7155 reciever, nad 5125 t/t with Mission solitaire cart/stylus. I figure if it works it matters little what i audition it on. Anyway.. nothing too technical, set up is no more difficult than plugging in a tape deck, found myself a suitably noisy old Lp at the thrift store (i wanted to give it a real test). Suprise,suprise it actually does what it claims, a definite reduction, even scratches are greatly reduced, i would'nt usually play scratched records at all, but i wanted to see if it would do as claimed. The quality do'snt seem to be affected unless you really crank up the sensitivity, then the sound suffers badly, but the reduction does increase. I think used sensibly i can have uncompromised quality and less snap crackle and pop! i'll check it out over the next couple of days then decide if it's going into full time duty. The unit does have a defeat button so it's easy to do comparisons or switch on only if needed.

Picked up the sae 5000 impulse noise reduction unit, rather than have to get into my system i put together a rig using my recent thrift store finds. Kg4's, nad 7155 reciever, nad 5125 t/t with Mission solitaire cart/stylus. I figure if it works it matters little what i audition it on. Anyway.. nothing too technical, set up is no more difficult than plugging in a tape deck, found myself a suitably noisy old Lp at the thrift store (i wanted to give it a real test). Suprise,suprise it actually does what it claims, a definite reduction, even scratches are greatly reduced, i would'nt usually play scratched records at all, but i wanted to see if it would do as claimed. The quality do'snt seem to be affected unless you really crank up the sensitivity, then the sound suffers badly, but the reduction does increase. I think used sensibly i can have uncompromised quality and less snap crackle and pop! i'll check it out over the next couple of days then decide if it's going into full time duty. The unit does have a defeat button so it's easy to do comparisons or switch on only if needed.

Stop wasting money and purchase a record cleaning machine and a supply of record cleaning solutions and tools from the Disc Doctor. With the money you've already wasted, you could be well on the way to purchasing a decent quality turntable, tonearm, and cartridge. That's how you achieve good vinly playback. If you don't wish to spring for a record cleaning machine, manual cleaning with the Disc Doctor supplies will take you a long way.

Klipsch out.

I rather doubt he spent more than a 100 bucks for the SAE. That's what I've seen them for in thrift and pawn shops. No cleaning machine exists that can repair physical damage to a disc. A properly set SAE can, for many. My experience was that the electronics are too noisy and the action too audible to be better than the the pops.

However, I am not the person in question and if it works for them, it is good. After all, he is "oldenough..."

Dave

jazman, i dont need to purchase a record cleaning machine, the one i have works perfectly well, and my rega is at least in the decent category. This was simply a $45 attempt to hopefully improve on an already decent set-up, so far so good.

pops&clicks out. (hopefully)

45.00 is a very good deal for a good working SAE5000 and I am glad it's working for you. One of the nice things about an LP habit is there is so much great gear and records out there others dumped on the heap to be part of the "next big thing."

IMHO, there is no camparison between the music you can get from a 100.00 spent on a vintage Thorens or whatever and the most expensive CD player money can by. What a break for ME!!!!

Good listening.

Dave

How right you are Dave, take away the "issues" against vinyl and you have the opportunity to listen to good music at a fraction of the cost, and at the end of the day it is the music that counts. Though i do enjoy hunting for more goodies as well as the next person.