Heresy's in the house!!

Mike Lindsey

Well...it was just about 2 weeks ago when I told Doug Drake I was done buying equipment for awhile! So what did I do? I promptly bought a pair of Chorus II's (to go with my Chorus I's) that I found down in West Palm Beach. These are now my new front speakers and I absolutely love them!

So, this morning, my girlfriend and I are doing the garage sale thing and what do I come across? An older pair of Heresy's with beat up grills but a decent walnut finish with some minor chips on the veneer. I noticed that the 3rd character on the SN was "P" and tried to remember the Word document I had explaining the Year based on SN. I figured "P" was 1975 but it turned out they were '76's. He was asking $225, which I thought was decent but was hoping for a better deal. I took off the disfigured grills and the drivers looked like they were in fantastic shape! I told him I would offer him $160 for them..."Take it or leave it", I said. He said "I can't take anything less than $175 for them." I said "Sold!"

After searching for 4 months, I finally found my bedroom speakers. These should match up nicely with my Yamaha M-4 amp (125 w/ch) and C-4 preamp that I bought new in 1980. All they need is some new grills and a little TLC. They look to have a Walnut finish but I'm not sure if that's the original finish because I can't read the Type on the SN label. I have sent an Email to Matt or Trey, hoping they can give me the info that I need on these speakers.

I haven't heard them both together, but I did hook one up to my amp/preamp and played Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" with it and was awestruck by the sound! I had the volume on 5 and it sounded just beautiful! I was hoping tomorrow I could take the back panel off and see what the inside looked like. This may be my first speaker that I tinker with. Any of you Heresy owner's out there have any ideas? What can you tell me about the mid-70's Heresy? I would appreciate any input.

I hope to get some pictures of them soon and will post them when they get developed. Hey Wes...I'm now only about 3 pairs behind you! Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Acurus A200X3

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Mains - Chorus II (Oiled Oak/Acurus Amp)

Center - KLF-C7 (Finished Black/Acurus Amp)

Surrounds - Chorus I's (Finished Black/Denon)

Surround Back - RS-3's (White/Denon)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series & AR for all other audio interconnects

Bedroom

-------

Mitsubishi 31" TV

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Dual CS-721 Turntable w/B&O MMC2

Looking for a pair of Cherry or Mahogany Heresy's

Other than having a similiar pair all I can tell you they sound as you discribed -- fantastic. I think this is particularly true in smaller spaces. I hear folks complain about the bass, but I'm using a M&K VX7 which has a 8" woofer and I have no complaint about the bass. I think you got a deal -- enjoy and keep us posted.

------------------

Bill J.

-----

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Nakamichi Dragon Cassette

Scientific Atlantic Explorer 2100

RCA Home Theater Hi-Fi VCR

RCA 25" Colortrack 2000 (1974)

Rega Planar 3 Turntable -Elys cartridge

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

Bill,

Thanks for the reply! I cleaned them up a bit this morning (Howard's Restor-Finish) and they look pretty presentable. I was going to finish them with some Formsby Dark Walnut Stain and see how they turn out. Then apply some Lemon Oil on top of that once it dries. I have never worked with wood before so if this is not what I should be doing, someone please speak up. Smile.gif

I also took the backs off of each speaker and have the same matching components inside:

Balancing Network: Type E

Tweeter: K-77

Squawker: K-55-V

Woofer: K-22-EF

After close inspection, it looks as though all the wiring is original as well. I was wondering from all you DIYers if there were some things I could do to these to make them sound better. I will do a search on the boards but am hoping for input as well.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

Doug,

Thanks a lot! We were just looking for some Christmas knick-knacks and the like, when I spotted them at the 4th or 5th house we went to. As soon as I saw them, I knew they were Heresy's and this was from about 40 feet away! Smile.gif The logos were missing from the grill and I asked the wife if they were Heresy's? She said "You know they're Klipsch Heresy's!?" She then called her husband over and I had to not show too much interest in them. They were originally bought by his brother and were given to him about 10 years ago. They have been sitting in a closet for the last 2 years.

I knew Debbie wouldn't be thrilled about me getting another pair of speakers (she went with me to pick up my 2 pair of Chorus's) but she said if I wanted them to go ahead and make an offer (she's so understanding! :-). Anyway, they need some work but I think with a little TLC, I can make them look pretty good. Will post some pictures when I get a chance...

Mike