First impression of Bob's CT125's

Rudy81

Today my "second hand" Crites CT 125's arrived. I have been very tentative about trying these new tweeters and frankly did not have any complaints about my K77M's. However, I couldn't resist the temptaion to try the new tweeters. I purchased mine from a fellow forum member that did not want his. I fully expected to be unimpressed, based on the less than positive reviews some members have voiced. Thus far, the subjective testing has been with the CT 125's sitting on the top hat of my Khorns, supported to align with the front of the other horns. I did not want to go to the trouble of mounting them in case I did not like them.

Spent a good amont of time listening to various types of music at various playing levels. BTW, note that I have the ALK universal network, with the squaker attenuated 6dB.

Thus far, I really like these new tweeters. Certainly a great drop in replacement. My ears tell me the highs are cleaner and more detailed than the k77's present. Imaging and sound stage are very similar, but the instruments sound more "detailed", and crisper than on the K77's. I swapped between the CT125's and the K77's at least ten times, listening to the same tracks to try and nail down the differances. I have not experienced some of the "piercing" or negative experiences others have voiced. Right now, the K77's sound as if the highs are somewhat "muted" or muddy when compared to the CT 125.

I ran a test disk and measured the response in my room from 2.5kHz to 20kHz. The K77 measured louder between 5kHz and 8kHz. The CT125 is just a little more laid back than the K77 in my room at all frequencies I measured with my sound meter.

I am now going to have to install the CT125's and live with them for a while. I am trying to be cautious with my impressions since I have only listened to them for about 2 hours. Needless to say, I reserve the right to change my mind at any time. But for now, these are very nice.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rudy,

Thanks for posting. What you describe rings true with my experience with the CT-125. My first listen to them was also with the ALK Universal Type A Replacement crossover.

I also went back and forth several times quickly to compare my memory for the sounds. ....Sometimes listening to both repeatedly on the same reference CD.

I have had my CT-125s in for a couple of weeks now (LaScalas / ALK Jrs.) and I am noticing the same as what you are hearing and measuring.

They output clean and crisp, but lower in volume than the K-77M. I am not sure if this is going to be an issue for me in the long run or not, but I don't like it. They would be near perfect in my book if they would just play a little louder. I tried lowering the squawker but that was clearly not appropriate for my setup.

The K-77Ms on the other hand needed 3 db attenuation with AlK tweeter attenuators to sound just right to me. They were a little too hot unattenuated in the same setup. I attribute my liking slight attenuation to the addition of the ALK Jr. networks. They brought up the top end slightly in my setup.

I am getting ready to do the "real" install in the Khorns. In my setup, the tweeters sound just right as far as volume is concerned. I don't know if that is because of the ALK's (mid attenuation) or room acoustics, or both. Two weeks ago I made and put up my absorbers to take care of first order reflections. Otherwise, my room was way too bright.

I am very pleased with the improved clarity of the high frequencies. The first time I went back to the K77's, my first thought was "what happened to the high's". They sounded muddy and as if the highs were behind a curtain or something. That, to me is the most obvious differance in the tweeters.

Once intalled I will report back. So far, these are keepers. BTW, very nice job Bob!

Just finished installing the CT125's. I will include some pictures and some tips for the next guy who does this. I am glad the tweeters aren't any larger, or they would not have fit!

Bob: Great job on a perfect drop in substitute. My Khorns have Z brackets, and the whole thing fits perfectly.

Al: You are correct. The tweeters sound just right in my system. I think if they were "louder", they would be piercing and way out of balance. BTW, the biggest improvement in my Belles and my Khorns was the UPgrade of your networks. What I like the most so far about the CT125's is the clarity and if you will "delicate" nature of it's reproduction. It is hard to convey or put into words. I think these are going to be keepers.

I found that installing these required me to take off the top section of the top hat in order to install the CT125. I could take off the K77, but could not fit the CT125 without removing the top due to the cross brace directly behind the tweeter mount.

Al: I have a La Scala for a center channel for movies. I was thinking about also putting in a CT125 in there with the AL-3 network. However, I am thinking the differance in efficiency will be noticeable in that application vs. the Khorns with the ALK's.

For you guys that have the CT-125, if you can get a copy of Carlos Santana's "Blues for Salvador", listen closely to the second track. I listened to jazz, rock, instrumental and this track is really good to note the subtle but noticeable differances in the tweeters.

"Needless to say, I reserve the right to change my mind at any time."

I'm sorry, but changing one's mind is neither tolerated nor permitted in the two-channel forum! ;)

Erik

That is correct. And the punishment changing one's mind is swift and terrible!

:-)

Hardhead: No, mine are the K55 M.

The reason I was forced to reserve the right to change my mind, is that some of the negative reviewers were originally impressed. So....don't want to seem like a flip flopper without fair warning.

Rudy,

When you tested your frequency response with these new tweeters were you still getting the drastic roll off above 12khz as in your other thread about your the low end response? If so I would be looking at your other audio components very hard. But again I would measure the response at one meter first too limit the rooms effects.

Craig

Rudy,

When you tested your frequency response with these new tweeters were you still getting the drastic roll off above 12khz as in your other thread about your the low end response? If so I would be looking at your other audio components very hard. But again I would measure the response at one meter first too limit the rooms effects.

Craig

Craig:

Yes, I did get the drastic rolloff with both tweeters, basically parralleling each other. However, that was from 14 or so feet away. When I get time I will check things at 1 meter.

Craig:

Just did a test a 1m and the rolloff is still there. You don't have to measure it, you can hear the drop. Very strange, specially since it does it both types of tweeters. Now I have all sorts of varialbes, the meter, the soursce, the amps, the crossover.....this is going to be a pain.