Consensus on Cane Grill OEM replacement?

Daddy Dee

I've been using the search function (thank you webmaster) for posts on locating the OEM quality replacement for cane grill cloths.

I found several posts referring to Wendell Fabrics as the source.

One post mentions MD3134 as the particular replacement pictured on this page:

http://www.wendellfabrics.com/mellotone/standard.html

another close "looking" match is MP1603-01 pictured on:

http://www.wendellfabrics.com/cane2.html

From folks who have compared the Wendell fabrics products to the original cane.... or from those are sure from the visual comparison... is the MD3134 the best match?

Appreciate any help here.

Hey Dee, the wendell MD 4134 is what everyone here is using. its not real cane but it looks good. has some plastic in it. $15 to $17 a yd. i think . one yd should do a set of corn grills. i liked it and bought 7 yds. last year. wendell will send you free of charge all their samples.

I recently purchased some of the Wendell cane to recover my Cornwalls with mixed results.

First, it does look pretty good but it does not match the original Cane and IMO doesn't even come very close. Be very aware that the the weave in one direction is a paper material and the warp is a plastic material that is very shiny. If anything, it needs a shot of dull-coat.

Second, the material is very thick and stiff, and it does not roll over the edge of the grill back board easily. It's quite a handful to mount. A heat-activated glue or contact cement is pretty much a necessity and if you don't get it aligned the first time.... well.

Third-- This is not an acoustically transparent material. I'd say the material is about 60% solid, so there will be plenty of attenuation. I haven't had a chance to evalute how much it affects the sound but will get to it as soon as I get a break.

I recently purchased some of the Wendell cane to recover my Cornwalls with mixed results.

First, it does look pretty good but it does not match the original Cane and IMO doesn't even come very close. Be very aware that the the weave in one direction is a paper material and the warp is a plastic material that is very shiny. If anything, it needs a shot of dull-coat.

Second, the material is very thick and stiff, and it does not roll over the edge of the grill back board easily. It's quite a handful to mount. A heat-activated glue or contact cement is pretty much a necessity and if you don't get it aligned the first time.... well.

Third-- This is not an acoustically transparent material. I'd say the material is about 60% solid, so there will be plenty of attenuation. I haven't had a chance to evalute how much it affects the sound but will get to it as soon as I get a break.

Hey Def! How bout some pics?! Would love to see how close it is to the real thing.

Hey Dee

Check with Al K to see what he uses for his trachorn kit. It isnt exact but its very close to the original cane. It is a little shiney but I have to say I am the only one who has noticed. I have attached a photo. The top is the replacement and the bottom is the original.

Josh

post-12293-13819284507064_thumb.jpg