SET Recomendations

jcmusic

I expect to be flamed for this, but what about some of the overseas offerings listed on ebay.

Just one example, not meant to be the only one....just a representative example

http://cgi.ebay.com/Goldbaile-300B-Class-A-Vavle-Tube-Int-Amp-NR_W0QQitemZ9706706760QQcategoryZ39997QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Given the cost advantages over there, I have wonder whether they are really competative soundwise with the "fancy" high priced stuff. Part of me wants to think that they are just as good and a deal....isn't the magic of a SET in the circuit simplisity? If so, why can't someone with cheaper access to parts and labor make one that is competative at a low price. Any experiences?

P.S. - Buy American [:D]

Looks blingy.

Seems like a nice layout, the wire loomed together may cause noise, maybe not.

Boat resistors. Cheap radial electrolytics wired tied to stick on pads. How much time and heat until they don't stick anymore?

Hum pots look cheap. Output transformers are potted, who knows what's inside of them as far as core size and quality.

Driver stage with a volume pot. Not really a pre-amp stage.

The 300B's might sound fine, but trying different brands of 12AX7, and 12AU7 would seem like a good thing.

There's a certain level of parts quality,(or reliable) that can make or break a simple circuit like a SET amp. Layout and design are bigger factors. Output iron is another.

I dunno about winning a bid for a chinese tube amp off eBay.......PayPal fees, shipping costs, shipping time...will ya get it? Will it work? Who will fix it when it breaks? Do ya send it back to them?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, Look on the bright side, imagine how much fun you could have swapping parts without ruining it's value and without a large initial outlay.

BTW, those trannies are not "potted", those are just covers.

I have one of these 2A3SET amps coming on a boat from the same vendor. I am anticipating many hours of fun tinkering.[:)]

bl-2a3b.jpg

bl-2ae0003.jpg

"Mike, Look on the bright side, imagine how much fun you could have swapping parts without ruining it's value and without a large initial outlay."

I'd have all kinds of fun..

"BTW, those trannies are not "potted", those are just covers."

Ok. Do they mention what brand the OPT's are? Or are they in-house? Any specifications on the output transformers?

"I have one of these 2A3SET amps coming on a boat from the same vendor. I am anticipating many hours of fun tinkering."

Cool. I'm attempting a paraphase inverter driver stage for a 6BQ5 push-pull Admiral console amp. It may work.......probably not.....