Re-Capping H/K 430?

DizRotus

Who has experience refreshing the capacitors in the ubiquitous H/K X30 series receiversor other SS receivers? Is there a way to test (in any meaningful way) the existing caps using only a DMM?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As many here might recall, I have two H/K 430s and I supplied an H/K730 to the local high school band to power the La Scalas I restored for them. It would be interesting to refresh one of the 430s to see if its worth the time and expense. A copy of the 430 technical manual is attached.

Unless you think some have dried out I might say don´t do it...especially in light of the value of the unit BUT if you love the thing and want absolute best sound I guess you could do it for under $250, I have worked a lot with Bill Hardy and Bill Rawls at http://vintageamplifierrestoration.com/

they do great work at great prices and no b*llsh*t...wamr regards, tony

I should have made it clear that I'm considering doing this myself. I'd NEVER pay $200 to have this done to a $50 eBay receiver.

OK, I'll confess ignorance. My B+K Tool muiltimeter can measure capacitance. Is that not in some way potentially useful in determining the health of the existing capacitors?

You can almost never test the caps "In the circuit" and then your BK could never tell you there true health. Personally after I looked at one close up and listen to it I personally wouldn't bother. Mind you I'm not saying that they sound bad but nothing special IMHO.

Craig