Midwest Klipsch Forum Get Together Announced

boomac

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the Mac Rack with burning and dodging applied

Which just goes to show that overusing digital photo tricks makes pictures look worse than they were originally. In the altered photo it looks like the equipment really was burned, and you can see charcoal and ash residue!

Its been about a week since Larry set-up my Well Tempered turn table and Im really happy with the results. Although it plays slightly softer than the MiniMax CD player, the tone and clarity are exceptional. I just got six LPs from my friend and quality dealer in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Japan and I cant wait to put them on the platter. Once again; thanks to Larry for his knowledge, enthusiasm and efforts regarding the WT table.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I would have liked to have done more comparisons during the get together. What other people are hearing is interesting and very helpful. I have a lot to learn about listening and next time I hope we can do and discuss more. I know its difficult to be critical of someones system or a component within the system but Id really like to know what others think. Like Allan, I like to enjoy the music first but like Larry and Gary, I want a system that integrates well and reproduces music in a life like way. This is not to say that Allan's system doesn't integrate well or reproduce quality music. It does! Just talking about priorities here. I'd love to have any one of the systems mentioned but if I could have Allan's jazz collection instead!!!![:o]

Well, its time for some big band sound with Count Basies Breakfast Dance and Barbecue and Art Pepper + Eleven.

I just got six LPs from my friend and quality dealer in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Japan and I cant wait to put them on the platter...

Well, its time for some big band sound with Count Basies Breakfast Dance and Barbecue and Art Pepper + Eleven.

Scott, thanks for all those kind comments -- I think it was mostly luck and a few ad hoc skills that got that odd beast up and running.

Meanwhile, what, perhaps unfamiliar, music did you hear that you liked? That Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings is an old favorite of mine that I don't have in my collection, and I think you liked that and the LPs of the Dvorak 7th Symphony in D minor. Also what we heard of the Carmina Burana CD.

I would be interested knowing what your most favorite Blue Note and other recommended jazz recordings are. I thought those sounded very fine and intimate on your upstairs system.

For those at John's house the first afternoon who wondered what hall was used in the DVD Chicago Symphony recording of the Berlioz Damnation of Faust -- you were right, it wasn't in Chicago, it was London at the Royal Albert Hall, a "farewell" concert as Solti neared the end of his conducting career. Must have been a stupendous task to move the chorus, orchestra, and instruments across the pond.

Larry

What we first listened to on LP:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Impulse 154 Blues and the Abstract Truth Oliver Nelson

AMR 1328 Soular Energy Ray Brown

C 3523 Everybody likes Hampton Hawes Hampton Hawes

Heres 20 of my favorite Blue Note LPs (alphabetic order)

BN 4041 True Blue Tina Brooks

BN 1588 Cool Struttin Sonny <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Clark

BN 1577 Blue Train John Coltrane

BN 4018 Davis Cup Walter Davis Jr.

BN 4059 Undercurrent Kenny Drew

BN 1567 The Opener Curtis Fuller

BN 1599 Soul Stirrin Bennie Green

BN1527 The Magnificent Thad Jones

BN 8404 Open Sesame Freddie Hubbard

BN 1582 Cliff Craft Cliff Jordan

BN 1574 Peckin Time Hank Mobley

BN 1590 Candy Lee Morgan

BN 4157 Sidewinder Lee Morgan

BN 4035 Tender Feelins Duke Pearson

BN 4105 It Might as well be Spring Ike Quebec

BN 4185 Song for my Father Horace Silver

BN 4011 The Sermon Jimmy Smith

BN 1594 Smithville Louis Smith

BN 4069 Up at Mintons vol. 1 Stanley Turrentine

BN 4070 Up at Mintons vol. 2 Stanley Turrentine

• 8 months later...

wow!

that sounds great. i am here in chicago and thought i might offer some possibly exciting info.
at least getting to milwaukee from chicago can be cheaper than a sound design speaker, if you dont mind taking a bus.
www.megabus.com has a few routes with few stops but one is milwaukee and others include chicago and indianapolis.
now, if you book as soon as they are available (i think 60 days out) you can get a roundtrip free or darn close!
if someone else posted about this i apologize, i just didnt feel like checking through 7 pages.

josh