.....not recommending the Klipschorn

Speedball

See sig.

Mega dittos, Dean.

I think a few here have it spot on, though. Accuracy. Agility. Ability to change volumes very quickly.

I'm surprised that folks like the Cornwall bass better than the Klipschorn. With my tiny 3W Horuses (Hori?), both speakers sound great but the Cornwall bass is definitely a bit "tubby". With the Klipschorn, it's natural and agile and the upright bass sounds exactly right.

I recall one of the forum staffers talked about the Klipschorn's "agility" in handling the microdynamics and said that few subs had similar characteristics. Maybe the Danley tapped horn, he suggested. I'm in his camp and have ordered one on faith (belief without evidence -- like that!) that it is the right combination.

And for the Klipschorn's seemingly effortless ability to fill a room with music, there is no peer in anything I've heard. The first pair of Klipschorns that I heard in Denver in 1980 (ListenUp) changed me forever. I'm glad they were in the showroom.

Chris

I'm surprised that folks like the Cornwall bass better than the Klipschorn. With my tiny 3W Horuses (Hori?), both speakers sound great but the Cornwall bass is definitely a bit "tubby".

Well with 3 watts of course it is! Try putting some real power into the cornwalls and get some control on them dancing woofers.

I'm surprised that folks like the Cornwall bass better than the Klipschorn. With my tiny 3W Horuses (Hori?), both speakers sound great but the Cornwall bass is definitely a bit "tubby".

Well with 3 watts of course it is! Try putting some real power into the cornwalls and get some control on them dancing woofers.

Well, you're right on that point. When I had my McIntosh MC2105, they were really quite nice. I never did get the blue meters to move, even when I clicked up the resolution.

OTOH, if I'm comparing Klipschorns and Cornwalls with the same amp, isn't the comparison valid? Granted, there is a small efficiency difference, but a reflex is going to sound different from a horn.

I found the K-horns to be a little tubby sounding, but, I think it's because they were in a 15 x 15 room. They really are like PA speakers that sound good. They need the room to develope.

I like tight and punchy. Controlled.

I just switched from an all tube bass amp (Mesa 400+) to an all SS Gallien Krueger and get really good results.

OTOH, if I'm comparing Klipschorns and Cornwalls with the same amp, isn't the comparison valid?

Well allow me to propose a question that I think fundamentally answers yours....Can you find an amp that when used with both cornwalls and khorns the cornwall sounds better?

It all comes back down to the synergy of the system...not all pieces of great gear will mesh with each other. The khorn and cornwall are two very different systems with very different design limitations...so it is physically impossible to have an ideal amp for one speaker also be the ideal amp for the other.

...I asked the fellow I usually chat with if they will stock some heritage speakers. He seemed to be caught off guard and then says we once had some used Klipschorn set up in the back room and they did not sound so good. He shook his head no and said they do not have any bass even with the big driver.......?????

Well I've never been a fan of the khorn bass either...cabinet resonations, time delay, tubby sound, horn loaded bass (not representative of what the recording engineer was hearing in the studio...), etc etc....just to name a few reasons [;)]

I would totally go with cornwalls over khorns...

LOL Who! I truely want to hear more about your khorn listening experiences and where they took place as I find your opinions on their bass unfathomable. Especially to the extent of recommending Cornwalls over khorns? [:)]