Lascala bass bin bracing

Croc

Hi,
pls advise me on Lascala bass bin bracing.

I made some quick temp bracing and it did good.

But i want to do it permanent, good looking and tame the sidewall just a right amount and not too much............

Well, it's a horn, so you can't get it TOO stiff!

Most I've seen amount to two triangular blocks (on each side) placed within the horn mouth. I don't know how you'd install them and look good unless you used small glue blocks for cleats inside the cabinet. They have to be tight so they won't buzz.

Consult Greg928S, he's one of the cabinet experts.

Michael

Interesting I tried a temp brace of my La Scala bass bins and found it thinned the bass some. I posted my results but it was a while ago. My observations showed the most critical area to reduce cabinet resonance were in the middle front to back and top to bottom. I could not do this without a permanent alteration of the cabinet so I abandoned the idea. I think Greg928s4 did this mod to La Scala he refinished and indicated this mod also weakened the sound of the bass. I know Klipsch eliminated a significant amount of cabinet resonance and had to re-voice the speaker to restore/improve the bass. Andy (HDBRbuilder) indicated the best method aside from inserting a wedge into the bas bin would be to add more mass to the side of the cabinet by attaching another sheet of ½ or ¾ plywood to it. This is similar to Klipsch approach using 1 MDF to construct the bass bin. To me the most effective way to establish good bass from stock La Scalas is push them deep into corners and use a filter/network that allows you to trim/adjust the squawker level to balance the overall sound.

help me out with this 'thinned the bass some'? what was your experience?

I wonder if my LSI's having the fibreglass matting for additional stiffness and perhaps some dampening and the aluminum edge trim furthering stiffness changes the tone of them compared to a normal LS?

help me out with this 'thinned the bass some'? what was your experience?

I wonder if my LSI's having the fibreglass matting for additional stiffness and perhaps some dampening and the aluminum edge trim furthering stiffness changes the tone of them compared to a normal LS?

I think this may be true.

Also, if you have the K-43's in them, they don't extend quite as deep as the K-33's, and probably not quite as efficient. The K-43's take more power and can have overall greater output, which is good for a P.A. application.

Greg - www.dcchomes.com

The aluminum would be very expensive. The cabinet shown is for flash in a night club setting, looks being important.

I would make two braces per side, 2-3/4" wide, and glue them on edge from the back to the front, and bevel the front edge back at an angle for looks.

I've done this, it works. It's easy, and looks good too.

I don't have the capacity to post a drawing though.