My new Ebay purchase!!

Rick

I am getting back into the world of 2 channel audio! I just won a Rotel receiver # RX - 603 on EBAY for $62.00 . It is in pristine condition. It is a 1976 model that retailed for $440 when new. Anyone familiar with this model have any comments on it? How does it compare to other vintage receivers such as Pioneer, Marantz, and HK twin powered units ? Classic ROTEL RX-603 Receiver Pristine,1976, Serviced (9707158412.

I assume the Rotel is a well built receiver and if serviced should last a good long time IMO. But I have no experience with it...for those who most likely do, check out their forum:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

As for the mmf-2.1 by Music Hall, they always seem to get good reviews in the audio press, so I assume they're worth checking out.

Good luck!

Rick 88,

I think that's the same model Rotel receiver I owned around 1978-1979! It's now with an ex-girlfriend and has never had a hint of a problem.

As for turntables, I'd reconsider about the used market. True, there are a lot of questionable turntables on eBay, but if you check out audiogon.com, it's a different ballgame. Most of the turntables offered there have been treated so carefully it's ridiculous. Some of those guys apologize profusely if there is a hairline scratch on the bottom of the lower corner. They seem to sell their turntables not because they just got it at a garage sale (common eBay situation) but because they want to upgrade.

Shipping is always a concern with turntables, but if you are patient enough to wait for a used table in your price range that is located near enough for you to pick it up, that's what I would do.

By buying used you can get 2x or 3x the turntable as if you paid full retail.

On the Rotel the only thing I would do is to replace the pre out

jumpers with short interconnects to help keep the EMI RFI crud out of

the signal path a little better.

Nice looking.

Used tables are cool as the Parrot has said.

Harder to find great deals. Old Duals are OK CS-5000 is the prettiest as I recall.

Music Hall MMF-2.1 LE Turntable in High Gloss Ferrari Red with Trcker Phono Cartridge [click for more]

Music Hall Turntable: MMF-2.1 LE Ferrari Red

I forgot I also wanted to know if anyone if familiar with this turntable and if it's a good choice for $399. I really don't want to buy a used table.

For $70 less on the same website, check out the Pro Ject Debut III. They come in all those stylin colors too. Used to be ProJect and Music Halls were made at the same factory. Could still be that way. The entry level Pro Ject is what got me hooked on vinyl. Having said that, I also agree with the others that you can get some great used turntables for $400.

Rick 88,

I think that's the same model Rotel receiver I owned around 1978-1979! It's now with an ex-girlfriend and has never had a hint of a problem.

I gave my TV to an ex-girlfriend and she was never a problem either...

WOW...I did it wrong...I got rid of the girl and kept the gear...[:o] [:P][;)]...Bill

I was also looking at the Pro-Ject turntable too. Which one has a better cartridge? I have been out of the 2 ch. game for a long time so I'm not sure about that. Also I'm still hoping to get more input on the receiver . I feel like I got a great deal on it given it's condition.