Klipsch may have ruined me for other speakers...

Fortissimo

my college roomate in 1979 had a pair of Heresey. I loved the sound! When we graduated I bought them from him (along with a 1963 gold top les paul). four years later I "lent" the Heresey to my brother to use while at college, suffice it to say I never saw those again. I was klipsch-less until 1996 when I acquired my 1993 klipschorns from a down and out acquantance. I had a bunch of speakers between '83 and '96, my favorites were my Magnepan SMGc's BUT there is nothing like Klipsch...Once I plugged the k-horns in I knew I was a Klipschead, no doubt about it. Some are and some aren't, I have no bones to pick with the B&W, Dynaudio crowd, hey whatever floats your boat but me, horns all the way! Tony

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy smokes Mike, I was stationed at Ramstein from 76 to 79! I worked in that very same BX part time and I went with the L65 Jubals over the Klipsch back then but only for size and WAF!

I was just telling pm what a small world it was, before you ask I was in the 86th SPS[;)]

Nobody liked me as I worked K9 and you know what that meant[:o]

I was stationed at Hessisch Oldendorf (409th, near Hanover) from 78 - 82, but did some TDY at Sembach occasionally. I was also on the base bowling and volleyball teams, so got down there a few times a year. Used to buy a lot of albums at a place I can't remember in K-town (something Pop Shop).

I was a 27650 - Aerospace Control and Warning Systems Operator (glorified Air Traffic Controller). They could suck you in with those long names. [:D]

Mike

I have been through Germany, but stationed mostly in the pacific. They heyday of AAFES/NEX ended roughly 1991. The audio/photo clubs that used to carry nice stuff did a massive downsize. Now, it's only small bose and boomboxes.

The hotspots for hifi: Germany, RAF Lakenheath, Guam, Clark (Philippines) Subic bay (PI again) Kadena (Okinawa) and Yokota.

You could find Klipschhorns, belles and on down to KG4's. The last set of la scalas I saw at Subic bay in 1989 were on clearance (new) for $750 a pair, along with a Nakamichi dragon cassette deck ($750) and a PA-7 power amp ($750)

AAFES not only carried Klipsch, they carried JBL (I saw 250ti's for $2800/pr) Infinity (They had everything up to IRS 1b's, and later kappa 9's) Acoustic research (Those big tower 9's) and Polk audios massive srs system. All for 50%-60% of what the USA paid for them.

Those were the days...sigh.

I do love the liveliness of the Klipsch's as well. But do you guys know of anything out there that sounds like Klipsch but with less coloration? The coloration of the Klipsch is the only thing that I don't like about my Klipsch.

Actually, depending on the setup, the coloration is minimal. It's usually exaggerated by those that try to key on it.

For example: I found more coloration with RF-7 than Forte II's all else being equal.

I was listening to some classical violin, and the violin tended to exaggerate the RF-7's horn dimensions, as if it was tracing the shape out sonically. That effect was almost gone on the Forte II.

I was introduced to many different B&W speakers which were supposed to be hyper accurate and low in color. The sound to me, was arid and lacked life, therefore highly colored.

A way to amelorate said colorations is electronics matching. Cheap solid state tended to exacerbate the effect where as quality ss or tube gear mitigated it.

*all* speakers on the market have one thing in common. They *all* have coloration, and a degree of bending the sound to meet thier own reality.

I have read how infinity kappa 9's exhibited a "foil" coloration. Ok, big deal. To my ears, they were incredibly musical, more so than the wilson watt-puppy version 4 or 5 that was out at the time.

Coloration is all reletive, and it exists everywhere-it's not exclusive to klipsch.

Q: What loudspeaker has no coloration?

A: There are none.

But I did notice you are on a posting campaign with the pretense that klipsch are colored. Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on a general (non klipsch) audio board...there are loads of them out there.

Holy smokes Mike, I was stationed at Ramstein from 76 to 79! I worked in that very same BX part time and I went with the L65 Jubals over the Klipsch back then but only for size and WAF!

I was just telling pm what a small world it was, before you ask I was in the 86th SPS[;)]

Nobody liked me as I worked K9 and you know what that meant[:o]

NARC.....[;)][8o|][;)]

OldBuckster, it was my job and not a personal choice of what the USAF required of me in that position[:(]

If it makes you feel any better about me personally I always did my best to alert many squadron pals of the Base Commanders Random dorm and vehicle searches which at least made me feel good in the thought that I tried to give them a chance if you know what I mean again!

Prohibition is and was the biggest Government scam of the 20th Century IMHO[:@]

NARC=RAT in my book and that sir I am not even if you shove bamboo reeds under my nails[;)]

OldBuckster, it was my job and not a personal choice of what the USAF required of me in that position[:(]

If it makes you feel any better about me personally I always did my best to alert many squadron pals of the Base Commanders Random dorm and vehicle searches which at least made me feel good in the thought that I tried to give them a chance if you know what I mean again!

Prohibition is and was the biggest Government scam of the 20th Century IMHO[:@]

NARC=RAT in my book and that sir I am not even if you shove bamboo reeds under my nails[;)]

NO NO NO you were assigned a job to do, you did it, simple as that! Please be real though, when you wrote that you Knew someone would respond that way, just the way you worded it. Most Viet-Nam era guys said the same thing, I bet. I meant no harm, or disrespect.

Ramstein AB, GE Alumnus myself '86-'89, talk about loads of killer gear!

With the Ramstien BX, Vogelweh PX, and the two Audio Photo clubs I was in heaven. They had big tent sales every year with all the manufacturers present selling all their stuff at special discounted prices.

Mainz-Kastel had the most incredible array with 3 floors of gear and CD and record shop on the bottom floor.

Was the Starlight Discoteque open in those days, what a meat market hole in the wall.

I loved the Autobahn! Frankfurt Sachsenhausen, red light district - floor's O' whores.

The good ole' days.

I worked for HQ USAFE/SP what a wild bunch!

Frzninvt, 10 years after my stint and the Starlight was still going eh[:o]

So what part of Texas are you from as I'm also transplanted here in Little Rock from Austin (actually moved from Dallas in 1997) but still got a Tex-Heart[:)]

What I miss more than anything is the Snitzel stand just outside the SE entrance gate (best darn curry brauts and pom fritz for miles) and then their was a Guesthouse in Landstuhl that servered the best and biggest snitzel which hung off both sides the plate (getting the idea I'm a food driven man!)

floors O' whores would have been the Annebella house if memory serves me right. Don't know if you ever caught any of the un-natural acts at the club out front but many will be etched in my mind for life I tell ya[*-)]

My favorite setup in the BX while I was working there was HK Citation 11/16 combo driving the L-65 Jubals which my usual piece for demo vinyl was War's Galexy album played on a Dual table of which model I can't recant[:$]

I was born in Houston, TX but raised in the devil's armpit Laredo, TX.

Was it Hans Schuff's? I remember the Jagerschitzel and big bowl of fries. As you said the thing would hang over the sides of the plate, but they only gave you like two packets of ketchup. Too funny.

The Starlight had the EV horn-loaded Elminators, powered by a Phase Linear amp. I peeked in the DJ booth a couple of times.

I cannot believe the crazy things we did and got away with overthere! OMG! I drove on the Autobahn once in the rain with no wiper blades, the faster I went the better the rain ran off the windshield. Oktoberfest, Bad Durkheim, Saarbrucken, Berchesgarden, Lake Cheimsee, Dachau, Hitler's Eagles Nest, Salzburg Salt Mines, Rhine River cruises, man the memories! I went all over the country.

Ummm Bitburger Pils, Parkbrau, Warsteiner I miss the incredible beer.

I witnessed the mid-air crash of the Italian jets at the Ramstein Airshow in '88 where one went into the woods and the other careening into the crowd, nothing like JP4 and charred flesh permeating the air.

I was born in Houston, TX but raised in the devil's armpit Laredo, TX.

Was it Hans Schuff's? I remember the Jagerschitzel and big bowl of fries. As you said the thing would hang over the sides of the plate, but they only gave you like two packets of ketchup. Too funny.

The Starlight had the EV horn-loaded Elminators, powered by a Phase Linear amp. I peeked in the DJ booth a couple of times.

I cannot believe the crazy things we did and got away with overthere! OMG! I drove on the Autobahn once in the rain with no wiper blades, the faster I went the better the rain ran off the windshield. Oktoberfest, Bad Durkheim, Saarbrucken, Berchesgarden, Lake Cheimsee, Dachau, Hitler's Eagles Nest, Salzburg Salt Mines, Rhine River cruises, man the memories! I went all over the country.

Ummm Bitburger Pils, Parkbrau, Warsteiner I miss the incredible beer.

I witnessed the mid-air crash of the Italian jets at the Ramstein Airshow in '88 where one went into the woods and the other careening into the crowd, nothing like JP4 and charred flesh permeating the air.

This is off the subject, but I must ask, How did you end up in Vermont? I was in Frankfurt in 69, caught the Audio Gear bug there, among other things.