Good Night and Good Luck

Kriton

I was curious that no one has mentioned this movie...I just had a

chance to see it over the weekend, and I wanted to comment. All

in black and white, no sound track to speak of, just a message.

Being born after the McCarthy era, I have no personal experience of

those times, bu I have had enough history to know a precious little

about those days, the general prevalent fear over communism and nuclear

annihilation and the our prevailing present day attitude toward the

McCarthy inquisitions.

I thought the movie was very well done, very well acted and that it

struck note of timeliness to current affairs (as it was clearly meant

to do); given the fact that most of it was recitation of already

written material from the 50's, I didn't find it too preachy, certainly

not as much as it could have been.. I found myself thinking that

such censorship and potential persecution is unthinkable, but then I

was reminded of where we are headed today, and the parallels are

uncanny to a certain extent. The movie was thought provoking and

engendered a meaningful dialogue in my house, and I hope, on whatever

side you place yourself in our present national crises abroad *and* at

home, that you see this movie and engage in this conversation of

national identity, personal responsibility and integrity, retribution

and redemption.

The movie just kept reminding me of the statement that I have seen

attributed to Benjamin Franklin, which I have to paraphrase:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Words to live by boys and girls...

K

Good review, haven't seen it yet, but your review will move it up on must see list. What happened then was wrong, and it's overtones are still being felt today. If one disagrees with the present administrations policies at home or abroad, you are somehow less of an American, how does that happen? I do not want to go off on a rant of my politics, that was not my intention answering your post, but as I have stated before, If a movie sparks people to talk about, or debate a subject, it must be a good movie. Hollywood turns out enough watch and forget movies, so a movie that makes you think is Refreshing. Look forward to seeing this film, Thanks for your comments.

Great movie. It's depressing to think that, in fifty years, we have gone from Edward R. Murrow to Katie Couric. And then there's Fox News. It sure seems like our society would rather just suspend reality (and freedom) to feel cozy and safe than to actually be challenged by truth, integrity, and courage.

My wife and I watched it the other night. It was a great movie.

We need more people in this country that are brave enough to speak their mind.

Unfortunately I think we're in a McCarthy-like era again, where anyone that disagrees with the with the current regime is considered unpatriotic.

We need more people in this country that are brave enough to speak their mind.

Unfortunately I think we're in a McCarthy-like era again, where anyone that disagrees with the with the current regime is considered unpatriotic.

Got the DVD coming from Netflix -- I read it was trashed somewhat being that George Clooney directed or produced it.

I think there is no lack at all of "brave" people that speak their mind -- too bad their target always has to be the president so they can look even more brave! But they just fall in line as another whiner looking for fault, and not a solution--

McCarthy got trashed by telling his version of the truth, too-- Limbaugh and Coulter do now.

Everyone wants their favorite in power, and if they are not--they look for trash on the other-- I think you can try to hurt your opponent, but not when you denigrate our soldiers or give away our strategy to defeat our countries enemies, or sympathize with them--I think Jane Fonda was unpatriotic.

I don't think McCarthy thought he was being evil--but the media sure has painted him that way for some 50 years now as a reminder of how mean his party can be -- or appear to be.

I'd like to hear his side, too- I don't think I'll see that at all in this movie

Guess you are right we havent discussed this movie yet, and in times like these, when the President is willfully violating one of the founding principles of this country, and reporters are going to jail for not disclosing their government sources (or worse, the newspapers are turning over their notes!), it is appropriate to be thinking of how far wrong is the political right.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This movie was considered for an Academy Award, as perhaps it should have been. It tells a story of unbelievable courage, fueled by righteous indignation and some typical misguided liberalism. Edward R Morrow was a voice of compassion and liberalism in a country scarred by war and afraid of the future.

Then, as now, they faced a world growing ever smaller with the threat of formidable foes. Then, as now, the knee jerk reaction was to raise fences, throw up barriers, run for shelter and hide under rules, regulations and desks. Yet, this is not the American way. The great American progressive social experiment is one of meeting new challenges, adopting new solutions and succeeding.

The plot of this movie stays within the recording studio. It doesnt show what is happening in the world outside of the newsroom. It only hints at the horrors of that day and age. It doesnt depict the attitude of people on the street. Many people supported McCarthy, Nixon Hoover and Cohen. Then, as now, the country was polarized between red and blue states (although I think the colors have changed). In fact, Morrow was incensed because a friend of his was accused of being a spy and then committed suicide. This and many of the other allegations turn out later to be true. Soviet President Gorbachev revealed many Russian secrets in the spirit of Glasnost. There were sleeper moles planted in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />US. The Rosenbergs were indeed guilty. Hiss was a spy. So was Morrows friend.

What the movie fails to communicate sufficiently enough was how the basic American principles, upon which this country is founded, were treacherously ignored (not by Nixon!) in the interest of sensationalism and political power. Principles of equality were trampled. The rule of law was set aside. The right of a fair trail ignored. To like communism, attend a meeting or read about it was a crime. Many Jews and liberals were accused of being Reds.

Watch this movie after seeing the incredible Schindlers List. There was an awesome enemy out there after the end of the Second World War. Russia shared more similarities with the Axis school of thinking than with the progressive Americans and the allied powers. But as Hussein knows, Stalin was a master politician, even among world-class champions, and he choose to go his own route an uneasy alliance with the one world power that could help him fend off his aggressive neighbors (gee, sounds like Saudi Arabia, doesnt it?). The world was divided then, much as it is now, between two very different schools of thought.

What the movie fails to explore, and another one certainly should, is the hysteria that gripped the nation. We need a movie about the Hollywood 10 (20 really) whose lives and careers were changed because of government prosecution and persecution due to their political beliefs. Even today, we think there is something wrong with people who like communism, instead of respecting their political opinion (and then rushing to outvote them at the polls).

In a year of some solid contenders (finally), Good Night and Good Luck falls behind in the pack. Though it is one of the best motion pictures of last year, it does not have the modern intrigue of Syrianna. Nor is Good Night the heart-warming tale, with wonderful portrayals, of Walk the Line. It is not the disturbing performance and tale of Capote. Nor does Good Night have the powerful, emotional-moving majesty of BrokebackMountain. Rent it yes, but be sure to get the others too.

Then, just for kicks, sit down and reread one of the all-time-great classics of courage, compassion, sensitivity, awareness, truth and honesty in the face of public adversity and scorn. Read To Kill A Mocking Bird again. [~]

.............Then,

as now, they faced a world growing ever smaller with the threat of

formidable foes. Then, as now, the knee jerk reaction was to raise

fences, throw up barriers, run for shelter and hide under rules,

regulations and desks. Yet, this is not the American way. The great

American progressive social experiment is one of meeting new

challenges, adopting new solutions and succeeding...............

Well put. The movie reminded me of these lines from Easy Rider. They still apply.

George (Jack Nicholson): You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it.

Billy (Dennis Hopper): Huh. Man, everybody got chicken, that's what happened, man. Hey, we can't even get into like, uh, second-rate hotel, I mean, a second-rate motel. You dig? They think we're gonna cut their throat or something, man. They're scared, man.

George: Oh, they're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.

Billy: Hey man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody needs a haircut.

George: Oh no. What you represent to them is freedom.

Billy: What the hell's wrong with freedom, man? That's what it's all about.

George: Oh yeah, that's right, that's what it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it - that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. 'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.

Billy: Mmmm, well, that don't make 'em runnin' scared.

George: No, it makes 'em dangerous.

Everybodys always smoking in this movie -- indoors. They all have conservative dress at all times--dark suit dark tie white shirt-- And everyone is scared of losing a job or their reputation or something. Straithairn is remarkable showing all the tension doing his CBS news show-- Throw a jerk like McCarthy and Cohn into this setting and things get even more intense.

Even though he's been at CBS for 19 years, Murrow could lose his job covering McCarthy. They lose their sponsor. A tragedy happens to a colleague with all the pressure. No one knows how real the communist infiltration in the US is, but the government seems to be doing nothing right in trying to root them all out.

Good Night Good Luck portrays the drab, pinched, corporate world that was the 50s very well--not much joy here. Or hope-- Its a good movie, but its quite sober for my taste.

All I've got to say is, I'm glad I didn't live then!!!

I agree - but I think the point of the movie is - you are living it

now. Faces have changed, we have Ipods and drink our Starbucks

and corporate culture has undergone a cosmetic change and every thing

is still dot com shiny, we are more cautious and cynical and for this

we consider ourselves more enlightened -

But are we? We are just as scared to utter a politically

incorrect word, bathe our children for fear of accusation, decry

organized religion or disagree with our goverment as they were then,

wouldn't you agree? The more things change, the more

they stay the same...that is why this movie struck a chord - and I

think it did so without the heavy handedness that it could have brought

- I thought, for the obvious slant that it had, that it was restrained

and tasteful...

Good flick.

K

I agree to a point--its very well made and Strathairn is very steady yet emotional.

I think it was made to be a subtle hint that the more things change, the more they stay the same, or meet the new boss same as the old boss. But people are much more worldly now than back then. And with our totally open society with 200 channels always on, its much different. Just watch the talk shows on the all the new networks--there isn't anyone afraid to speak their mind no matter how politically incorrect. Controversy sells, where in the fifties sex was never even talked about within peoples homes. People voicing their wide array of opinions is almost become banal. Shut up already! To me, people who denigrate our leaders intelligence and broadcast it to the world that our leader sucks are stoopid. And it seems like there is always someone on the TV not politely diagreeing with Bush, but calling him an idiot.

but then , I admit I scoffed alot at Clinton!

I think todays liberal thinking is just overly sensitive when their world-saving ideas are not embraced by the whole population, so they complain that the powers that be don't care. George Clooney makes an interesting comment in the special features about Guantanamo and that the prisoners there are very much like the people back in the 50s-held without evidence they did anything. But, I think during a war, you keep the enemy in control and ask questions later. The prisoners at Gitmo are not American , I might add--We can't just let them go--

Today political incorrectness seeps into our daily lives while keeping up with the Joneses and trying to keep ourselves from getting into a lawsuit with someone who is insulted by something we say. We' are all more scared of local lawyers than the current administration's plans to keep our country secure during a war against an unseen enemy. Back in the 50s they were scared of nukes with a definite face of the enemy.

I guess the movie seemed more like time capsule to me than a comparison to today, and McCarthy was a jerk. Our country saw to it that he failed eventually. Newt Gingrich met a similar if less spectacular fate, too. Overstep your bounds in this country and you'll get ripped apart! When you stop being polite, you'll fail --