Paradigm Ultracube

greg0320

Was in the store today and had a chance to listen to the Paradigm Ultracube they just received. I will have to say that of those I listened to (e.g., Definitive Supercube (10" model), Klipsch RW-12, Paradigm PDR12, Klipsch RSW 12), it seemed to have deeper, more powerful bass.

Anyone else heard this new subwoofer? Impressions/thoughts?

Greg

Its no wonder why no one posted here,You actly want me to believe that ?Ultracube more deeper more powerful bass.[:o],I tried the ultra cube for 3 hours and there is many subs,and cheaper subs less than half the price that would put it to shame.[:P]

Was in the store today and had a chance to listen to the Paradigm Ultracube they just received. I will have to say that of those I listened to (e.g., Definitive Supercube (10" model), Klipsch RW-12, Paradigm PDR12, Klipsch RSW 12), it seemed to have deeper, more powerful bass.

Anyone else heard this new subwoofer? Impressions/thoughts?

Greg

Uh how can I say this ? No the Ultracube does not have any real deep bas sto speak of.It starts to roll at about 35Hz sharply.There is almost no output below 28Hz,it can reproduce most big bangs and is ok.

The DeafFinitive So called SuperCube is a superior unit but again rolls off sharply below 30Hz.Those who read the Definitive BS specs must be rolling on the floor.It is better than the UltraCube but not a world beater like some would think.PS get a Sunfire TrueSub EQ and compare,it will flatten the UltaCube and SuperCube(in output and depth).

The Paradigm PDR12,its a low end budget sub,no wonder the UltraCube beats it. The Klipsch RW12 has more output and reaches deeper.The RSW12,there is NO comparison here,it trounces the UltraCube on ANYTHING.

And these are facts.

FYI I have an UltraCube,used as computer sub with smallish Totem ROKK sats.Great combo for a small room.

OK...maybe it was just the room or the material I was listening to that was making this sub rock above the others in the room.

I will admit that it appears when the requirement is a really small sub (comparatively speaking), two that are consisitently mentioned are the Paradigm Seismic 10/12, and the Velodyne SPL 1000R/1200R subwoofers. Of course, we have just significantly jumped up in price as well.

Any thoughts on either of these subs?

Greg

Have both and will tell you about them...

The paradigm Sesmic 12 compared with a Velodyne SPL1200.

Both are well built,the Velo has a better quality cabinetry.Both have very capable amps,both are solid and should last you many years of hard use and abuse sometimes.

The SPL is a sealed sub and will start rollong off quicker,but will reach a bit deeper.The SPL1200 has a more natural bass output and matches better in a music system.The Seismic will offer more deep bass output but will not be as tight in the upper bass and as natural.

Not to say the Seismic is boomy,when cut at 80Hz or lower,as any sub should be.You will only experience slight boom when in a nasty spot and you have a huge room gain around 60-80Hz.

The audiophile in me says SPL1200,the movie buff says Seismic12. I say collect them all. [:D]

Both are well built,the Velo has a better quality cabinetry.Both have very capable amps,both are solid and should last you many years of hard use and abuse sometimes.

The SPL is a sealed sub and will start rollong off quicker,but will reach a bit deeper.The SPL1200 has a more natural bass output and matches better in a music system.The Seismic will offer more deep bass output but will not be as tight in the upper bass and as natural.

Not to say the Seismic is boomy,when cut at 80Hz or lower,as any sub should be.You will only experience slight boom when in a nasty spot and you have a huge room gain around 60-80Hz.

The audiophile in me says SPL1200,the movie buff says Seismic12. I say collect them all. [:D]

The question I was asking was...

"Looking for a truly small sub and the two that seem to constantly show up here in this category are the Paradigm Seismic and the Velodyne SPL-R series.

What are the pros/cons of each, and given room size of around 3500 cubic ft, will the 10's do in either one, or am I looking to require the 12's.

While I listen to music quite a bit, still looking to the sub to give the added depth/bass (the type you can feel) when watching movies."

TheEAR had some very good input (Thanks). Was wondering whether anyone else has had the opportunity to listen to these subs and has pros/cons and/or recommendations.

Greg

Well on elaborate a bit and since we are looking at around 3500 cu ft room,I would point another sub and even better than the SPL1200 or Seismic 12.

The Sunfire Signature EQ,simply put THE most potent small sub on the market.Do not even think about the two smaller Definitive Ultracubes...they eat the Sig EQ's dust when it comes to SPL down deep.Simply nobody keep up,that simple.

And sub bass quality is there too,to anyone who would say its slow they are living a lie,no sub can be fast when we reach very deep,below 40hz. If you hear anyone talk about fast subsonics he/she is smoking weed and has no damn clue what they are talking about.

What ruins many subs is bass coloration and "boom",often from poor cabinet construction,high tuning and simply flawed design.

I'll stop here...[:D]

I really appreciate your input. However, while the Sunfire may be the best, I am really stretching the limit here from a budget perspective.

Since I am really looking at a sub for movies, based on your comments, I am leaning to the Paradigm.

However, I visited a store today to listen to the Paradigm. Since they did not have the 12, I listened to the 10. More importantly, they also had the Ultracube, so I compared them. Needless to say, I am confused.

When both are set at same volume level (say 1 o'clock position), the ultracube actually had a higher output. The Seismic had to be set at almost 3 o'clock to deliver the same output. Now having said that, I did notice that the Seismic appeared to be a little bit beter controlled at the various volume settings.

What am I to make of this? My assumption is that at really high volumes, the Ultracube will become distorted compared to the Seismic. Is that a correct assumption?

Just looking for some expert advice on the dynamics of subwoofers.

Thanks

Greg

I really appreciate your input. However, while the Sunfire may be the best, I am really stretching the limit here from a budget perspective.

Since I am really looking at a sub for movies, based on your comments, I am leaning to the Paradigm.

However, I visited a store today to listen to the Paradigm. Since they did not have the 12, I listened to the 10. More importantly, they also had the Ultracube, so I compared them. Needless to say, I am confused.

When both are set at same volume level (say 1 o'clock position), the ultracube actually had a higher output. The Seismic had to be set at almost 3 o'clock to deliver the same output. Now having said that, I did notice that the Seismic appeared to be a little bit beter controlled at the various volume settings.

What am I to make of this? My assumption is that at really high volumes, the Ultracube will become distorted compared to the Seismic. Is that a correct assumption?

Just looking for some expert advice on the dynamics of subwoofers.

Thanks

Greg

Greg go back to your shop and compare the pw2100 sub to the others and tell me what you think,You may change your mind.

canadian cubes suck, its all distortion and thumping.

You have no clue what you are talking about,stop making these one liner a la Cybergeek posts.And make more informative posts that can help others.

Canadian cubes suck! Really you are one poorly informed dude who obviously knows little about audio and subs.

Paradigm's Seismic 10 and 12 are very clean subs,that go deep play loud and are very well built.They use woofers that perform as good or better as top american made ones.The UltraCube is better tham most here would like to think,as most have ZERO experience with them and know F all about them.Comprende?

Totem Acoustics also has a few small subs that perform very well,damn well in fact.

All distortion and thumping! Your Sony WM40 is all distortion and thumping,not canadian made subs.Canadians have great products such as BRYSTON,CLASSE,SimAudio and compate with Krell,Mark Levinson with no trouble. I do not know what is your little problem with canadians?

And closing let me say it again do not talk trash about products you do not know well.You make yourself look bad,worse than your avatar and sig.

Lets not forget what these small but powerfull subs are supposed to do: be small. I do not believe that the manufacturers expect them to outperform their big 12 or 15 units, but not everyone wants such a big sub in the pristine living room. It fits the market for a powerfull sub, in a very small box, yet with some compromise in absolute low end.

Lets not forget what these small but powerfull subs are supposed to do: be small. I do not believe that the manufacturers expect them to outperform their big 12 or 15 units, but not everyone wants such a big sub in the pristine living room. It fits the market for a powerfull sub, in a very small box, yet with some compromise in absolute low end.

efzauner,

Sure thing,any compact sub no matter how costly is at a disadvantage because of the very limited volume of the cabinet.Today's high power very efficient amps made cheaply combined with the current state of know how when it comes to woofers takes care of most problems,pushing them where it matters not...to high SPL territory.

Honestly how many people listen to their systems above 110dB? Almost nobody.

You have no clue what you are talking about,stop making these one liner a la Cybergeek posts.And make more informative posts that can help others.

Canadian cubes suck! Really you are one poorly informed dude who obviously knows little about audio and subs.

Paradigm's Seismic 10 and 12 are very clean subs,that go deep play loud and are very well built.They use woofers that perform as good or better as top american made ones.The UltraCube is better tham most here would like to think,as most have ZERO experience with them and know F all about them.Comprende?

Totem Acoustics also has a few small subs that perform very well,damn well in fact.

All distortion and thumping! Your Sony WM40 is all distortion and thumping,not canadian made subs.Canadians have great products such as BRYSTON,CLASSE,SimAudio and compate with Krell,Mark Levinson with no trouble. I do not know what is your little problem with canadians?

And closing let me say it again do not talk trash about products you do not know well.You make yourself look bad,worse than your avatar and sig.

LOL, Arty mellow out. Its so lame when people attach an inanimate object like a subwoofer to their own personal image of themselves and so therefore take any criticism on a small little cub as a personal attack. Who has a Sony WM40? Whats a Sony WM40? Do you know me? Wow your out there man.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Those little cubes do blow. Given two equally well designed subs with equal amplification and proportionally sized woofers, the little cube looses every time. Face it, its a huge compromise. Oh and people never listen to a sub out put at 110 decibels, yeah I guess when they are like you with a pile of subs sitting in a corner of an apartment in Canada you cant ever listen to musical peaks that loud otherwise the super would be knocking on your door. Peace out tough guy named Arthur.

Ran across an older post of yours...

"1000-1500 dollars. Again no shortage of units...

Klipsch RSW12 or 15

SVS PB2-Plus or PB-Ultra

Paradigm Seismic 12 (compact sub)

Velodyne SPL1200 (very compact sub)

Most will run closer to the $1500 limit.

These should do no wrong,the SVS will go deepest with the highest SPL and if you need small the Seismic 12 is a great sub for all applications both HT and music.BTW Seismic 12 over a SPL1200 for HT and music.

M&K simply uses woofers that do not move the amount of air the competition does.And displacement is a MAJOR part of the equation is the subwoofer world."

Do you still feel that the Seismic 12 is better than SPL 1200R for HT and music listening combination?

Greg

Yes you know so much LOL,I will have to sell my two pw2100's because they suck so much[:P],Ear will explain to you just how much Canadian made pw2100 or 2200 suck[:D]I am sure the Ear has tried the 2100 or two of them to tell you how well they perform to other subs on the market.Its hard to find subs that will keep up with the 2100,They produce hard hard hitting deep well defined bass output.

Macho Nacho is that you in the avatar [:D][:D] that would explain it[:o]