Sub questions for the new guy.

davidsonm

Does anyone know what the speaker conections are on the back of a sub are for? I know it is prob. a stupid question but I was just wondering. Also are they important and what should you do with them? Should I have my speakers bi-wired to these. Sorry for the stupidity and thanks in advance for you help with this.

You're talking about a couple of issues there.

The speaker leads are for if your receiver does not have a line-level subwoofer output and 'bass managment' features (the ability to select crossover points via onscreen menus). You would use them to take the speaker level outputs from receiver through the sub (which would filter out the lows and output them), then the other speaker leads would send the mids and highs to your other main speakers.

Biwiring is an issue where two sets of wires, each specifically 'designed' for high or low frequencies, are connected to the receiver terminal and then to it's set of +/- on the speaker. Bi-wiring has it's fans, but I'd say a majority here say just use good quality speaker wire of 14 gauge or so and leave the little jumper bars in place.

Michael

Just cause you asking such a basic a question, I wanted to be clear for you too.. Red is (+) and Black is (-) for your wires and inputs as well.

Red is also right, white is left, and yellow is for Video on rca (phono type) cables channels.

(edited.. Is that better?)

I knew you guys would keep me on the right track?

Thanks for the imput. That is the way that I have my sub ran is with a moster cable from the reciever. I just did not know what they were there for. Also I have wired my speakers with 12gauge wire so I think that this will sufice right? And I have read on some post that people are connecting two+ subs how is this done if I want to add 1 more. To make my system 6.2 do I need a dif. reciever or what? I have seen some denons that are like 5.2 and 6.2 and so on. Is this what I would need. Or Y cord as what I have read and if so how would this work out?

Just cause you rasking so basic a question too.. Red is (+) and Black is (-) as well.

Why does the black alway have to be negative? Just another way electricity's keeping the black wire down...

The speaker connections in the back are high level pass thru to connect the sub directly to the amp speaker out and then run wires to your mains(Left and Right front speakers).

Are they important? Hardly as I would advise to use line level sub out from your receiver to your subs's LFE or L R line level input. Most higher quality subwoofers lack these,as there is too much signal degradation and transparency loss.Plus you are stuck at the 80hz cutoff point.

Speakers biwired to these! [:o] NO NEVER,only if you want to lose quality and have more wires.

Just cause you rasking so basic a question too.. Red is (+) and Black is (-) as well.

Why does the black alway have to be negative? Just another way electricity's keeping the black wire down...

Them suckaz be always keepin the red wira in da limelight! [:@]

Them suckaz be always keepin the red wira in da limelight! [:@]

Da black wire doesn't sweat it. If he did he would cause a short [;)]