Question for BobG

rmlowz

Hello, Bob,

I own the Klipsch Ultra II system and was curious to know, if I bought two of the new12d referance subs would this be a upgrade from the UltraII subs? The price of MSRP is about the same.

Thanks,

rmlowz

Guest BobG

Hi there mlowz.

It's a great question and one I intend to answer for myself but I have not had the chance to do that comparison yet. I can tell you I share the enthusiasm for the THX Ultra 2 sub system that others on the forum have expressed. That setup is really impressive in its ability to go deep and very loud and to even mate well with the Heritage models.

My sessions with the RT-12d have really impressed me. It's very tuneful, goes very deep and loud. But it's different in character than the THX setup. In an apples to apples comparison, the RT-12d will keep up with the THX sub without a problem and has more output below 30 Hz. The big difference is the room correction function built into the RT-12d and RT-10d. No matter what you do in positioning subs, room modes are always a significant part of the resuting sound. The correction system in the RT subs is impressive in its ability to correct for room modes at your desired listening position. My choice is the RT-12d for that reason, but the RT-12d won't be the best choice in all applications. If you're thinking about building the subs into a cabinet, THX subs are the best choice as RT is tough to make work in that setting. If the subs are out in the room, the RT is in my opinion the hot setup. I'll be interested to see what forum members think as they get a chance to use the RT products.

The question of the day is will we get to hear em in Hope this year? I e-mailed Amy but no response on if they will be demo'd or more importantly demo'd with a Heritage rig. I loved the THX Ultra II subs with a Heritage rig and have heard the RSW with Heritage and to me the RSW illuminated itself or perhaps more aptly put you knew it when it was on it just did not seem as seamless as the THX Ultra II subs did. I know it should not have been as noticeable since in theory at least as long as it can keep up with the SPL, the crossover is set correctly and the sub is positioned properly any good sub should work but still there was just something that was noticeable about it I am refraining from using the word different since it could have been a set up miscue and it was not my system.

Thanks for the info BobG,

I think I will try a a pair of the 12ds. In placment of my UltraII subs I may have got lucky because it sounds unbelievable. I have a sub with room correction in another room it does make a differance.

Thanks,

rmlowz

oh great, I just bought antiques again! (THX sub system).

lol Mike....you forget about the crazy deal you got. And newer better products will always be coming out. If they didn't then I better get into a different career cuz that'd get real boring [;)]

oh great, I just bought antiques again! (THX sub system).

Antiques !?!?!?!?! [*-)] Sorry but I gotta call ullbe itshe on that one Michael. You have a seriously premiere awesome set of subs and amp. I've yet to hear anyting better with a Heritage rig. The antique was the 18" JBL. Trust you ears, relax, and enjoy.

Yes Colter,antiques seem to find a way into your house. Now bring your antiques to the show they have older folk bring their antiques for evaluation.

PS I am giving you $5000 for all the speakers in your avatar. [;)] Just make sure you clean them well and remove the thick layers of dust inside acting as acoustic absorbing material.

BobG...where are the new Klipsch upscale subs? I want the 10 and 12. Yes sir buying them BOTH when they come out and will find a creative way to stack them. [:D]

Ok guys I'll back off. Had my book club guys over tonight and one is program director for major radio station here in town. Played that Yes snippet for them and they felt the THX breeze also. They pretty much just sat there with their jaws dropped and clutching their stomachs!

So I guess I'll keep my Heritage/THX rig. It rocks! Whoever said that Yamaha was bright with Klipsch needs to come to my place and have their sternum shook!

M

Guest BobG

Mike, I've got the perfect solution for you.

Clearly, you still need a center channel subwoofer. I use one and it makes a real nice difference. So what you do is get an RT-10d for center sub, but you do room correction by connecting the output of the RT-10d to the input of your THX subs. Correct for the trio of subs (which will really make a big improvement) then reconnect the RT10d as a center only sub.

How about that for a good way for me to spend your $$$?

Mike, I've got the perfect solution for you.

Clearly, you still need a center channel subwoofer. I use one and it makes a real nice difference. So what you do is get an RT-10d for center sub, but you do room correction by connecting the output of the RT-10d to the input of your THX subs. Correct for the trio of subs (which will really make a big improvement) then reconnect the RT10d as a center only sub.

How about that for a good way for me to spend your $$$?

I've been thinking of getting the Danley horn loaded sub, but this might be a good idea.

I'm willing to try my Sunfire Signature sub as a dedicated center channel sub and buy two RT-12's to handle the rest. I have to check and see if the Sunfire has a speaker level input with a high pass filter to go to the center channel K-horn.

I remember you saying how you liked using a center channel sub a few years ago.

Be careful trying this with some of the popular receivers. Yamaha for one doesn't really send a full range signal to the center channel. I figured this out after installing a K-horn for my center and the bass was no better then the LaScala that I just replaced. I hooked up the right channel output to the center speaker and then the speaker came alive. Needless to say, I now use seperates.Yamaha really pissed me off. I kept changing speakers for better sound and it was their receivers. I called them and asked them why their manuals even give you a full range option for the center. Their answer was that they figure that no one uses a full range speaker as a center channel speaker.

Guest BobG

Wow that's amazing. It's even more difficult to high pass the center channel when they could just leave well enough alone. Thanks for this tip.

That's interesting about the Yamaha- my 2400 has options for LG/SM center- I'll try hooking up my old ksw12 and see if it works or not.

Like Yamaha, I figure that most people have smaller center speakers AND that the director would probably never 'muddy' up the dialog channel with sonic booms, placing them instead in the LR mains or .1 LFE channel.

But I've long been a proponent of having as full-range speakers as possible at every positions (hence the all-CW or LS/CW HT's I've used). I've got the extra sub, might as well give a try.

Michael

I'm short on time,so I'll tell you more later.

I have a RX-V2092 and a RX-V3000 which were mid priced receivers that retailed for about $1,600.00 each.

In my younger sons bedroom is a RX-V620, entry level piece at about $250.00 to $350.00.

I have one more Yamaha AV/receiver, now off to college with my other son. I bought it the same time I bought the RX-V620 . This other receiver was about $200.00 more then the RX-V620 making it a retail item for around $500.00.

Once I tested the 3000 with frequency test tones and found what I thought was a bad channel, I measured the other three receivers. They too had a limited center channel.

That's what led to the calls to Yamaha. I couldn't have 4 different receivers with the same problem, could I?

I hope that their models with price tags over the $1,600.00 mid. level receiver will give the consumer what they expect.

Colter,

Yamaha receivers are not bright with Klipsch speakers.Often its the source that sends a signal that is "harsh" or bright.And with Klipsch what you pout in will come out.

There are simply better ways to drive the large Klipsch speakers,when I switched from a Denon 5802 (not too cheapie receiver) to a trio of Celeste(SimAudio)amps/Sunfire pre/pro the sound gained in quality in ways you would be surprised.Bass was robust(more defined)and the upper frequency range became more open and natural sounding to my ears.And no it was not the placebo effect at work.

Of course these ways also cost much more.