HD-DVD Drive Add-On for XBOX360

ARPRINCE

• 1 month later...

Correct me if I'm wrong but they are offering the HD-DVD drive without the option of an HDMI connection. Since Hollywood is tripping over themselves for copyright protection right now this could be a problem down the line.

It'll be interesting to see if publishers offer an enhanced version of a game to go with the HD-DVD drive: bigger textures etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As far as I know from what I have been reading, you won't be able to hook it up to an HTPC, only to the XBOX 360.

BTW, the fall updates would soon be coming in for the XBOX that would include support for the new peripherals (HD DVD, etc). Now, you would be able to watch videos and would also support games up to 1080P thru component or VGA.

I'm really torn between this HD-DVD and PS3. I really don't know if it's worth my while to have both but If I can't get my hands on the PS3 on launch, I'll get the HD DVD unit.

Also, Amazon is now accepting pre-orders for the HD DVD unit.

If anything Prince, get the PS3 on launch date and sell it on eBay. There will be a shortage as is on all console launches.

IMO the PS3 is not even worth it anymore save for being a cheap Blue Ray player and thats it. Sony has few exculsives now and faces an uphill battle with the 360's lead and its price point which most parents may be warry of.

I would personally not buy the HD DVD addon or another dedicated disc player in the near future as most PC's will soon outpace the processing power most highend components are capable of. The only major problem will be of course the drive and its build quality, but hopefuly those options will begin to expand as well.

I'm not sure about the price point thing because "technically", they cost the same

XBOX Premium (399)+ HD DVD (200) = $599 (same sa the PS3 60GB version)

I don't think IMO, that the 360 lead is not insurmountable. Besides the US/Canada and EUROPE, the 360 didn't sell well as expected in Japan. As a matter of fact, it was considered to be a failure.

As with the Xbox (Halo), people would buy PS3 because of game exclusivity (ex. MGS, Tekken, Devil May Cry). I for one would buy the unit even if it didn't have Bluray playback because of the games (and that is why I have xbox360 [:D] minus the HD DVD). The HD part is only a bonus.

The only thing that would hurt Sony is if the unit does not deliver what it promised (next Gen games + visually stunning blu-ray DVD playback). And if they can't manufacture enough for consumer consumption.

"Other players on the market have specialized chips (called DSPs) that

decode things like H.264, MPEG, VC1, DTS, Dolby Digital, and other

codecs," explains

Microsoft employee Shaheen Gandhi, who works on Xbox 360's HD-DVD team.

"Much like how backwards compatibility for Xbox 1 works on Xbox 360,

the heavy parts of HD DVD are all done on Xbox 360's triple-core CPU."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154930

All of a sudden I feel compelled to purchase a stand alone player vs an addon that has the potential of cooking my console.

I am going to be the curmudgeon here. (Hey, its fun![:P] )

I understand how many are waiting for the next big thing.

But I would love to hear a rational reason for being an early adopter in a very fluid technology market!

First, it is a Player, not a recorder. So you are limited thus far to what?...King Kong and an Adam Sandler movie? And is it AACS compliant?

I mean, what is the rush???

Why not wait for a compelling reason - such as one platform actually dominating, or sufficient titles are available that will actually make a viewable difference, or making sure that you won't have to upgrade again to be complaint with the DRM or interface standards, the price comes down, etc. etc. etc.

Running out and buying it simply because you can may be sufficient for some. But IMHO, I would hope that more take a serious look at just what and why you are buying this.

By this time next year we will most likely see many more titles, better players, recorders, cheaper prices, and possibly a real leader in the format war.

But, by all means do whatever you decide.

Personally I will be holding off for quite a while.

Lets be a bit fair, the HD DVD library is a bit wider than Sandlers comedic abilites.

If budget isnt a problem, I would by pass this addon and go for a real HD DVD player. My main concern happens to revolve around the audio decoding for next gen discs. It is my understanding that the newer Toshibas decode the HD audio at the player and send the signal as a downmixed DTS track to current gen receivers.

Current digital audio cables are not capable of delivering the specs for the HD audio formats, leaving only two options. One would be using all analog connections from the back of the player to the Receiver for each channel, or using HDMI which is meant to pass on the new multichannel formats. As well, HDMI was meant to be the ONLY way to watch HD video since all next gen DVD would be flagged through HDMI from the source to the TV. Hollywood has since dropped this and wont be implementing it for a little while. So this is no problem.

As of right now the 360 has no HDMI or multi audio connection. Rumor has it that MS will be announcing an HDMI cable as well as a larger hard drive before the end of the year. If this happens, I may buy the HD DVD addon; its not a bad deal in theory. However I hope to God B&K delivers a time frame for updating their codecs and HDMI capabilities.

BTW, isnt the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on HD - DVD reason enough? [;)]

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got the HDDVD add on for my Bday.

I am FLOORED by the video quality here. It makes broadcast HDTV look like crap, let alone standard DVD. The images are crisp, defined, and take on a 3d look because of the amazing depth, contrast, and black levels possible on this format.

I'm sold...now if only HDDVD wins over blue ray...hehe.

BTW, the 2 discs I have have DD Plus soundtracks...amazing dynamic range and super clear bass. Nice. It's basically a 1.5MBPS DD feed I believe, but I'm not an expert on these new formats. Yet.

Highly recommended.

• 5 months later...

For awhile there, I kept changing my mind if I'm going to get this add -on or not. Then I got the PS3 and became a BD supporter. Then, Microsoft came out with the Elite with HDMI. Nice so I got that one (still noisy btw). Then Warner Bros will release THE MATRIX ULTIMATE COLLECTION this May with the BD counterpart no release date. So yeah....they got me! And WOW, it's all worth while!! [:D]

post-16043-13819330738156_thumb.jpg