Thorens: tonearm and carttidge combo

risingjay

I am not to fluent with tonearm cartrige combo's, but has anyone ever heard of the Grace 707 Tonearm?

How good is it?

Would the Denon DL-103 mate well with it?

What MM and MC Cartridge would go mate well with it?

Would go on a Thorens TD-125

Do you have any detail on that Grace arm? I have seen a few Grace models over the years but cannot remember the model numbers - the thing is that those were low mass models and not a suitable choice for the Denon.

If the one you are looking at is low mass I would suggest looking for an MM cart - something like a Grado with high compliance.

I would say no, the Grace 707 wouldn't mate well with the Denon 103. This arm was developed for high compliance cartridges per the manual. See link below.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library_model.php?make=Grace&selected_model=G%20707

If your looking at the one on ebay, that looks very nice. If you get it, DO NOT, let the seller ship it with the Dustcover attached. It WILL break no matter how he packs it. The hinges aplly a torque that will crack the plastic even if the shippers handle it with kid gloves(which they won't) Platter has to be removed to. Those are the two absolute MUSTS.

I was looking at the one on ebay for sale. It has the Grace 707 on it.

I guess I will hold out.

Before I was looking at the TD-160 but it seems the TD-125 is more desireable. I'm so itching for a nice turntable. The Thorens hits my price point just right. I want to experience vinyl bliss!

I'm so impatient sometimes.

Thanks for the help guys.

Risingjay, I have a TD160B MKII and really enjoy it.So,much that I just

bought another that is ready to mount a SME arm that I have.The other

has a RB250 Rega tonearm that I installed a Pete Riggins VTA on the fly

kit. Sweet! To me anyway.

Larry

I guess I will hold out.

Before I was looking at the TD-160 but it seems the TD-125 is more desireable. I'm so itching for a nice turntable. The Thorens hits my price point just right. I want to experience vinyl bliss!

Are you dead set on using the DL103? Because if not, that 125 with the Grace looks to be in very good shape and at least right now, priced well. Do you the Cream option on your Blueberry? You need that. I've just started experimenting with the 103 and it is very good. But I wouldn't say it's the "end all" either. There are many ways to get some great sound out of the Thorens.

I do think the 125 is a better table than the 160. It's just a better overall build quality and easier to put whatever arm you want on it. But the 160 can sound very good given what it costs.

I guess I will hold out.

Are you dead set on using the DL103? Because if not, that 125 with the Grace looks to be in very good shape and at least right now, priced well. Do you the Cream option on your Blueberry? You need that. I've just started experimenting with the 103 and it is very good. But I wouldn't say it's the "end all" either. There are many ways to get some great sound out of the Thorens.

I do think the 125 is a better table than the 160. It's just a better overall build quality and easier to put whatever arm you want on it. But the 160 can sound very good given what it costs.

No, I'm not dead set on the DL103, and I do not have the cream option as of yet. But with all the talk about the LOMC's I figured the DL103 would be a great way to go. Do you know of other LOMC's that would work well with the Grace?

I just see more and more dollar signs when investing in a Tonearm.

What options do you see hear?

I trust your knowledge since you seem to be a Thorens guru.

Again, I haven't heard a great TT set up since I don't know anyone who has one. This is all experimental to me and I'm not the richest man in the world. SIngle dad here who is a custodial partent. Not easy by yourself.

Anyway, thanks for all the input!

risingjay,

Just saw your post.

I have a Thorens TD 125 w/ Grace 707 tonearm.

I have tried a few cartridges with this arm, but for me the best one

has been the Shure V15III. I think I prefer it overall to the

Shure V15VxMR-it's certainly less expensive. If someone is

interested in a V15III, I think a good way to go would to pick up a

used body cheap on ebay, then spring for a Jico/Sas stylus: http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1047t

Hope this help.

Paul

I'll second the Shure V15 III. Per the auction, it will come with a Shure V15 Type IV which should also sound very good. I was really pleased with the replacement stylus I bought from the website just mentioned above. JICO. Kind of a clumsy website but the Shure V15 Type III replacement stylus I bought from them was so much better than the $45 generic junkers that I've bought elsewhere.

This does appear to be a lightweight arm, so you'll need a high compliance cartridge. That will mean mostly moving magnet cartirdges. Goldring and Ortofon are two good brands of mm.

What kind of music do you listen too? I think the advantages of the LOMC cartridges might be more apparent with classical or jazz. Womens voices are supposed to come through very well.

I forgot to add a word of warning about the generic stylus and will

agree wholeheartedly with what Scott says above. I picked up a

generic stylus for my V15III and it was DUNG!!

Was fortunate enough to happen into a NOS Shure VN35E. I have

read several reports of the Jico being very high quality. It's

the next stylus I'll pick up. The generics are a waste of money,

imo.

Good luck!

Paul

The Grace is a great match for the table, just not for the cart (as you've already been told a dozen times). I almost bought one for my TD165 after a number of Thorens experts recommended it.

Go with the Shure if you can find one reasonably priced. It should be a great combo.