Give me some feedback on my home theater

Kain

I know that the first "upgrade" I should do to my home theater is to get a subwoofer, but keeping that aside, what about the rest of the system? Do you think it is still pretty good? I haven't changed any of the components since the day we bought them which was like in 2001-2002. My plasma display is an SD version with a native resolution of 852 x 480. Isn't that the "native" resolution for DVDs? If so, is there any point in getting a newer plasma with a higher resolution if all I am going to do is watch DVDs on it because right now the resolution of the TV matches perfectly with the source. And yes, the DVD player is a progressive scan player. Secondly, what about the A/V receiver? It was top-of-the-line Harman/Kardon when I bought it. I think it is a damn good A/V receiver, any point in upgrading that?

So, do you not get hi-definition TV over there? Either satelite or cable? If you can get h-def TV I am here to tell you that you haven't lived till you experience it.

No better way to watch the Red Sox beat the Yankees.

Other than that, sounds like you have a great system there, but the Sub would certainly add to the experience, especially with some of the sound effects in the movies these days.

The best thing for you to do is find a store or facility that has the different new models set up for viewing so you can see for yourself the difference between an 852 verses 1920 resolution at 1080P. Samsung, Sony, Mitsubshi all have 1080P models that upconvert your existing dvd's. Some will look better, some worse, some the same depending on how good the upconvert is. They are not plasma but DLP. Things are changing real fast.

JJK

Nice Home Theater setup. [:)]

I am not familiar with your DVD player and the resolution of your SD TV. If your DVD player isn't progressive scan then that would be my first upgrade. If it is, I don't know what the difference would be between an HD set or your SD tv. On my display (listed below) DVD's played on Progressive scan are PHENOMINAL and only slightly below High Definition material I get off my satellite.