Mobilehomeless in Stereophile this month

Where's my stash of Auricaps I wonder. I have it full of Orange Drops, they were popular back when I rebuilt it It's a very nice sounding amp even so.

Orange Drops actually sound quite good. Auricaps have the advantage of being audiophile-approved while Orange Drops, the conventional wisdom goes, are just for low-budget rebuilders.

But, yeah, Tom, you'll never have a better market than right now.

I put 716P Orange Drops in my HF-81 (JJ EL84's, too) and I am plenty happy with the results.

Y'all here do realize, don't you, that the FIRST run-up in HF-81 prices was due to Kelly's rhetoric and your (our!) subsequent posts at this very set of forums? :-) I think I bought mine just a wee bit before that. Then, y'all moved to Scotts, IIRC...

I went to the Barnes and Noble library today and gave the EICO article a quick read. Some points to add to the above thread:

The particular unit was heavily modified by Sam Kim, referred to by coda. The reviewer mentions less than $2000 for the amp and mods, but Sam Kim sold a rebuilt and modded one for $1350, so it's hard to say what his mod costs. But over a thousand bucks anyway.

Even though it was this heavily modded and rebuilt unit that was tested by editor John Atkinson, the results were still poor. Imagine what the results would have been without rebuilding, even if you assume the kit builder had any idea what he was doing. Atkinson wrote something to the effect of that he shakes his head in disbelief when he hears someone claim EICO as the best of the vintage amps.

The reviewer, however, recommends it wholeheartedly and is clearly enamored with it.