Have tips for buying used heritage speakers?

dakayus

I found a 75' heresy for $200. It appears to be in ok condition, but a few things are puzzling me. It looks like there's a little spray paint inside the housing of the speakers. Also I don't know how to detect if speakers are blown and what not. If the woofer is blown can I refoam it? I don't really know what to look for and such. Any input would be great. Thanks

I found a 75' heresy for $200. It appears to be in ok condition, but a few things are puzzling me. It looks like there's a little spray paint inside the housing of the speakers. Also I don't know how to detect if speakers are blown and what not. If the woofer is blown can I refoam it? I don't really know what to look for and such. Any input would be great. Thanks

If any of the components (woofer, mid-range or tweeter) are blown, it will be obvious when you listen to them. Be sure to test them at various volume levels. This is because some bad or gone components won't show, until they're pushed.

Every component can be rebuilt, and parts are readily available. Tweeter rebuild is around $100+change for both, Woofer rebuild is about $60 to $70 for each. I just replaced some mid-range diaphrams for about $100 ea.

$200 is a pretty good deal on a pair of Heresys, provided they're not terribly banged up. Pristine ones can be had in the $325 to $400 range.

There may be overspray from the factory. There is no foam in a proper Klipsch woofer, so nothing to rot, it works or it doesn't. Put a sock in the mid horn to listen to the tweeter. $200 is not an exception deal for a Heresy, unless you need the single.

Is there a way to tell if they are getting close to blown out? Or is it just they are or aren't? I hope the 75's sound good. I have about 400-500 to drop on speakers, but I like to spend as little as possible and upgrade part of it such as the crossovers.

Dakayus, if you don't have full confidence in your judgement or how good a deal you may be getting, buy from a forum member.

I have never seen or heard anyone selling speakers here where they were not as described, and folks are not trying to get rich here like on EPay. You won't go wrong and you will get fair value. What part of the country are you in?

Right now I'm in San Diego, California and I'm going back home to Los Angeles for the summer then back here again. I want to find local deals so I can see the speakers and make sure no photoshopping or incorrect descriptions happen, like ePay(hehe). I also don't want to pay for shipping since that taks on another 60-70 dollars.