My thoughts on the Outlaw 970 Preamp

Northshore

Recently my Adcom Preamp decided to stop working in my HT setup. A long story short is that my dealer offered to credit me the full price of the Adcom and apply it to an Arcam AVP-700. My theater has been down for over a month thru all of this and the Arcam is still on order, I had to take action to remedy this situation. My solution was to buy a backup Preamp in the unlikely event that I may be down for extended periods of time moving forward.

After reading reviews (all favorable) I ordered the Outlaw 970 and it arrived a few days ago. Setup was simple and for the price I cannot imagine hearing anything better, the Adcom does have a little more depth of sound but the Outlaw certainly holds it own. The adjustable bass management is a plus and the 2 channel bass adjustment is a nice feature along with the fact it is a 7.1 channel processor. Once the Arcam arrives I will move this Preamp along to another room where it will be reunited with the Outlaw 7125 seven channel amp that I had ordered as well.

... for the

price I cannot imagine hearing anything better, the Adcom does have a

little more depth of sound but the Outlaw certainly holds it own. The

adjustable bass management is a plus and the 2 channel bass

adjustment is a nice feature along with the fact it is a 7.1 channel

processor. Once the Arcam arrives I will move this Preamp along to

another room ...

I would be interesting to compare the two side by side (same

amplification)... i know there are quite a few reviews already out

there, but it's always enjoyable to read different people's take on

it.

I did visit the Outlaw forum prior to making the purchase and it seems like a good place to hang out. So far I am very pleased with the 970,especially when decoding the HD channels on my cable system. It seems to process the Bass more efficiently than my Adcom, most noticeably on TNT during the NBA playoffs. Bear in mind that it is a tough comparison with the Adcom 860II which is more than twice the price of the 970 but I have been won over by the Outlaw boys for putting out a good solid product at a very good price.

Thanks for the review.

I'm another one to consider on its preamp because the general comment are they can beat a lot of preamp that's twice as much as it's own price(maybe it's amp too, or other brands, lots of choices for amp out there). But I am waiting for the new model or firmware to support new audio format before taking action, while building up the purchasing power in the mean time.

Thanks for the review.

I'm another one to consider on its preamp because the general comment are they can beat a lot of preamp that's twice as much as it's own price(maybe it's amp too, or other brands, lots of choices for amp out there). But I am waiting for the new model or firmware to support new audio format before taking action, while building up the purchasing power in the mean time.

Ditto...might be a year or more, but am OK with that.