Cool DIY Top Cabinet Design

D-MAN

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So the sound is very tight and dynamic just as i want it. After some long listening I realized that there was some "booming" in the area of 150 - 400 Hz. I has made a CD with different test tones and has run through it. I did put some "Wannabe wool" inside the back chamber but this didn't help the problem.

post-20342-13819298525332_thumb.jpg

The next trial is ongoing now and is tweaking around with a notch filter with the center around 150 Hz. Simulations show that I can control the level of the band of interest (150 - 400 Hz) by some dB's (6 dB right now). I'm not finished with this yet but for K145 and the horn this has helped alot on the "booming". I have also heard that the K145 is a underhung voice coil speaker and this type has the tendency to do so ?

I'm very happy with the construction and sound. Dana has done a great job here. This was a long "run" to put the pictures on the forum and I hope someone find it interesting. Later on I think more will be added when it come to my mind!! [:D]

Flemming

Flemming, the double side braces won't hurt a thing. I find that the actual room walls vibrate far more than the horn channel side panels ever will, even with a single brace.

Since the side channels wood is 5/8" or thicker in both of our respective horns, it doesn't vibrate much at all. The double bracing is entirely optional, and since it certainly can't hurt, why not? I like it, but I'm not going to change the plans. We'll call that the Flemming mod!

DM

I'm very happy with the construction and sound. Dana has done a great job here. This was a long "run" to put the pictures on the forum and I hope someone find it interesting. Later on I think more will be added when it come to my mind!! [:D]

Flemming

Flemming,

You did a great job on your horns! I have a copy of the construction plans too (TNX, Dana!) and I've been comparing the plans, not only with your pictures but with the Khorn and Jubilee plans as well.

Those who are thinking of building Khorn clones from Speakerlab plans should take a serious look at this design as a better option. It is simpler to build as can be seen from Flemming's pictures, and with more flexibilty on driver selection (i.e. not limited to the K-33). The use of Huygens reflectors and no twisting of the horn channels ensure a more accurate reproduction of the wavefront. And it does what the Jubilee was designed to do (two-way) with a smaller footprint. Of course you can make it three way like Flemming's.

As I'm already committed to building two sets of horn systems this year, it'll be next year before I can start on mine.

You got a great system there, Flemming.

Armando

Yes, the sidewall's is actually vibrating much more than I had expected! My experience with the enclosure is that it is very stable and do not vibrate in a way as a closed box cabinet.

I forgot to add that these speakers ARE able of doing low end work. Dana say's the fc is 40 Hz, but in my living room I am happy to find output even lower than that (30 Hz with considerable output, tested both with music and testtones).

Flemming

Thanks, for you comments Armando [:)]

I can understand that you are doing some horn construction/building and in relation to that I will ask if you have any construction plans, you will share, or know somebody who have plans for a midrange horn in the range of 700 - 7000 Hz using compression drivers?

My midrange is "rolling" off at both ends!

Flemming

Flemming, Eric Forker in Germany has a great website with a couple of downloads and calculator programs for Tractrix mid horns, etc.

But most likely the response falloff you hear is due to the midrange driver, not necissarily the midrange horn itself, especially the high frequency end. The low end fall off is determined by the Fc of the horn, which may be too high, I don't know. However, with your woodworking skill, making a tractix mid horn doesn't look like it would be much of a problem for you.

Here is the link:

http://www.volvotreter.de/dl-section.htm

Dana

Valde,

It has been a pleasure to browse this thread to see your project.

Congrats. I am sure the sound is fabulous. The construction looks

great!

D-Man,

Is the Edgar tractrix article posted on the forum? Not that I would

understand much of it, but would appreciate if you might post the

article or a link. Thanks.

Dee