ksp 400 speaker cone loosing coating

klipguy

hi i was wondering if anyone has been loosing coating on the ksp 400 speakers, the speaker cone is loosing its coating around the rubber of the speaker on both my main speakers , there is no sound loss but im just worried if it will start to get worse? if any one knows if this is ok, or something to worry about?

All mine are OK (fronts and center). Call Klipsch, they're probably still under warranty. They might ask you to go through the dealer you purchased them from. Then again, it may be something not to worry about. Trey at Klipsch will know. Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

fini

klipguy:

That surround definitely has a problem. As time goes on it will become less and less pliable, affecting woofer excursion. I showed your picture to Trey. Not saying that you have, but something like this is seen when it is cleaned with a solution instead of water (Windex,etc.). I'd give Trey a call at 1-800-KLIPSCH...are you still under warranty?

PhilH

klipguy,

Not much to worry about,the sourrounds are made of rubber.My Dynaudio Contour series also had this problem.

I solved the problem with a coat of Mink Oil,yep.

Now the sourrounds are flexible and the black colora is back.

All drivers with rubber or thick foam sourrounds get this treatment.Works very well.

I apply a thin coat over the sourrounds,after I whipe the exess with a soft cloth.

Phil,

Any idea,how about Trey?About my idea to use Mink Oil,I know it does not damage the sourrounds(Bob Carver recomends this for foam sourrounds).I did it with rubber and it seems to be working very well.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

"mink" oil? what is that and what is it doing to the surround, adhesives?

Rule#1: if it has a name other than what it is, you don't really know what it is AND you don't know what you doing.

Rule#2: Any treatment to make a raw driver look "appealing" eventually ruins it.

Rule#3: Oil (whatever the generic implies) and loudspeaker cones don't mix.

Rule#4: "Better" is the enemy of "Good".

• 2 weeks later...

Mink Oil is used on leather shoes,keeps leather flexible and soft.It does not damage foam or rubber sourrounds,it protects them.The sourrounds will not dry as fast,and in some cases(foam)restores the flexibility.If the foam sourround has holes it too late the driver has to be reconed.

John,

Please I will cry,try this on someone else.

Mink Oil help to keep sourrounds(NOT SPEAKER CONES)flexible(best with thick foam sourrounds).

Mink Oil helps keep the sourrounds flexible,it does in no way ruin the sourround.Appealing is not its main function.

Bob Carver even clearly recomends this Mink Oil treatment on his subs(thick compressed foam sourrounds).Done each year this will keep the driver in perfect working condition for years,if never done the driver sourrounds will dry up and the speaker will one day fail.

Remember Min Oil is for the sourround NOT the cone or any other part.

TheEAR(s) Now theears