Q. How does one move with Klipschorns?

DTLongo

A. You mummify them! See pics, four in all, I hope they come through. The professional movers did a great job and the '03 Khorns and '04 Belle arrived in great shape.

I've been off the forum since March in the course of this move but now am about set up in my new place in Delmar, MD, so expect to be back here from time to time.

post-10590-13819298481892_thumb.jpg

Pic 4 of 4, the Klipschorns and Belle set up in their new home. The Klipschorns really love this new room, they truly sing in it. The room dimensions are 15 1/2 feet wide x 17' long x 8' high. The speakers sit along the outside shorter wall, in perfect Khorn corners.

Visible beyond the file cabinet on the left is part of a Velodyne S1500R subwoofer. I have three other subwoofers around this place but the big Velo is in a class by itself in complementing the Khorns wayy down low. It's almost overkill and is virtually inaudible on most music material, but it does add to the sub-40 hz. region on appropriate material, plus can be cranked to "excavate" bass from otherwise bass-shy material.

I build a neat Heathkit amp and other kits and began messing around with speakers backin the mid-1950's. This present room and these speakers are a young-senior (64) audiophile's lifelong dream come true.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Pic 4 of 4, the Klipschorns and Belle set up in their new home. The Klipschorns really love this new room, they truly sing in it. The room dimensions are 15 1/2 feet wide x 17' long x 8' high. The speakers sit along the outside shorter wall, in perfect Khorn corners.

Visible beyond the file cabinet on the left is part of a Velodyne S1500R subwoofer. I have three other subwoofers around this place but the big Velo is in a class by itself in complementing the Khorns wayy down low. It is almost overkill and is virtually inaudible on most music material, but the sub does add to the sub-40 hz. region on appropriate material, plus can be cranked to "excavate" bass from otherwise bass-shy material.

I build a neat Heathkit amp and other kits and began messing around with speakers back in the mid-1950's. This present room and these speakers are a young-senior (64) audiophile's lifelong dream come true.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

post-10590-13819298497862_thumb.jpg

I had no idea you were moving Tom!

Did you scrap the HT? Still using the H/K? Edit: I just saw your sig. I assume you moved the HT to another room like you originally had in your old place.

Glad to hear the move went smoothly. Shoot me an email sometime. My son is still in Salisbury so maybe we can get together next time I come down that way. I'd love to see your new place!

- Gary

Well, Gary, Hurricane Katrina was the catalyst. Those destruction pictures really got my attention and nudged me to move away from my sea-level creek to some miles inland and a few feet higher up. My new house is on a small pretty lake so I still have water.

Nice to hear from you, and by all means stop by when you're in Salisbury, I am just north of town. Yes, the home theater is in another room, powered by the HK-AVR 235 7.1 receiver. 50" Pioneer plasma, front mains are vintage Large Advents improved with new woofers (the old ones dry-rotted) and outboard tweeters, a remarkably good little Radio Shack center speaker, side and rear surrounds are Klipsch RS-45's, and a nondescript Audiovoice subwoofer does its duty OK though it is certainly no Velodyne. I will post a pic or two in Home Theater when I have time.

My Bose 901 VI's are in a straight-stereo setup in another room I use for my back-up computer and as a reserve downstairs bedroom should I break or leg or something. Yeah, I know all about Bose "blose" but those vintage-1988 901's are still in great shape and sound pretty good.

Colin raises an interesting point. To tell the truth, when I decided I would no longer use the Khorns as previously in a home theater but in an audio-only setup, the Belle became "extra." In those corners in that room the Khorns imaged beautifully, especially from the Sweet Seat whose arms are just visible in the foreground of the picture. And, I could have gone off into two-channel tube Nirvana with just the Khorns.

But what to do with that new expensive Belle? I experimented with a couple of A/V receivers and settled on the modestly priced but rather good Sony, running it in Multichannel Stereo mode. The setup does sound good, and looks good too.

"Is it possible to put the Khorns along the long wall to the left? If so, have you tried that?"

Neither long wall has adequate corners. The one on the left abuts a large entryway. The one to the right abuts a fireplace back there. See pic.

post-10590-13819298502622_thumb.jpg