Jay481985

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes Birch is just a cleaner grained wood that is sometimes used as a 'finish' layer on veneered plywood. Normally used for utility cabinets and sometimes hollow core doors (as in my 1950 home). Birch is not much denser than the Fir or Spruce standard lumber varieties that most plywood is made of.

Maple on the other hand is a clear, relatively straight grained hardwood with very even color. The BirdsEye Maple is a particularly handsome variety.

post-10755-13819298517772_thumb.jpg

Actually ALL RB5's are MAHOGANY (NOT CHERRY).

I own a pair and it clearly says : RB5 MAHOGANY on the back. Get the facts straight!

yup, that's definitely Mahogany. The dark/light stripes with golden banding in the lighter portions are indiciative of Mahogany.

Cherry is straight grained, not terribly interesting imho.

Yes Birch is just a cleaner grained wood that is sometimes used as a 'finish' layer on veneered plywood. Normally used for utility cabinets and sometimes hollow core doors (as in my 1950 home). Birch is not much denser than the Fir or Spruce standard lumber varieties that most plywood is made of.

Maple on the other hand is a clear, relatively straight grained hardwood with very even color. The BirdsEye Maple is a particularly handsome variety.

I always liked the curly or mottle [:)]

curly

Maple-RippleCurl_332.JPG

mottle

Maple_6754-05-04.JPG

I believe we're running out of Mahogany. Sapelle is now used as a substitute, they are very similar, sapelle is a bit more golden.

THere was a guy here who was making a pair of LS out of Sapelle. He is a boat outfitter and apparently they use it quite a bit in that industry. It must be akin to teak and have lots of resin and be insect and water resistant.

Mahogony is one of those protected woods in the world now, just like rosewood since during the 70' and 80's we harvested soo much that now they are protected and all the wood they can sell must be from a tree farm to be legal.

They use sapelle now which is true and call it mahogany

Oh boats love mahogany because it is like teak where it resists basically everything. Bugs dislike the taste and mahogony has a natural anti fungal which is great for damp places.

Ancientdude before you start accusing me of trying to make that seller a fool, look at the heading again. I asked "one of us?"

Jay grass is green,

OH NO SOMEONE report me....

grass is really not green, its actually made up of one of the million shades of green that do exist.

I better not purchase grass from any store that claims they sell GREEN Grass.

Then why are there soo many different types and grades of grass! That is such a bold statement to say that grass is grass..... I know people in the kitchen cabinet refinishing business lecture me for hours why birch is an inferior product to maple due to maple's strength in a heavily used kitchen. Birch and Maple debate can be subjective in looks but when it comes to durability, maple is much stronger. Maple is designated as a softwood but softwood, hardwood is not really a application of how strong it is but how the pores are. Softwood is closed pores while hardwood has open pores. Its more with staining as the maple will not accept stains as easily as oak. But Maple is much more dent resistant. Also my friend will lecture me for hours why veneer suchs as opposed to real wood cabinets. Meh, I mean he does do houses that are > than 500000 dollars so whatever. Also Oak usually has more of a red look to it and with the grain, it is somewhat like looking at a poppy seed bagel. Yeah the bagel is yellow but it has the seeds.

This is what they consider "white" oak

Oak_White_6753-01.JPG

All I am trying to say, regardless of what examples or attitudes I presented is that you didnt have a right to raise suspicion about a guy who is perfectly legitimate in his offering.

Unfortunately most of us dont have friends who can lecture for hours about when and how to use Maple instead of Birch

and most of us do not know the difference between Birch and Oak and BIMaple etc... .

Prima Facie, a maple rf7 can be called birch, without any wrongdoing to it. It was a simple discription. It wasnt fair to the seller and if you just want posts, go post in the prettiest girl in the world thread or go talk IB/custom subs in the powered subwoofer section.

Okay Jay, because you are the expert on wood...I randomly got a picture and I know what wood color it is, now you tell me what wood color it is.

post-16458-13819298519602_thumb.jpg

All I am trying to say, regardless of what examples or attitudes I presented is that you didnt have a right to raise suspicion about a guy who is perfectly legitimate in his offering.

Unfortunately most of us dont have friends who can lecture for hours about when and how to use Maple instead of Birch

and most of us do not know the difference between Birch and Oak and BIMaple etc... .

now you do

Prima Facie, a maple rf7 can be called birch, without any wrongdoing to it. It was a simple discription. It wasnt fair to the seller and if you just want posts, go post in the prettiest girl in the world thread or go talk IB/custom subs in the powered subwoofer section.

I wanted to clarify things as it took numerous posts to get there....

Okay Jay, because you are the expert on wood...I randomly got a picture and I know what wood color it is, now you tell me what wood color it is.

that is baltic birch looking at the grain

Hey guys, lets stop with the stuff. Michael Colter actually pmed me to go and do something else for a while and come back. You know what, he was absolutely right. For some reason I felt like picking a fight with ancientdude. For that I do apologies, I wanted to prove myself that I know woods but I should have watched for others feelings as well.

Also I did not really want to call out the seller. Infact, I asked if it was one of us? I just wanted to point out that it is maple not birch. I guess my ebay watching and skepticism got the best of me from a seller that most likely is genuine.

Again I do apologies and Acientdude I want to personally apolgies.

And DeanG if you still are reading this can you tell me why the rf-83 are inferior to the rf-7?

Dean believes that modded RF7s will smoke the RF83s because they do sound better with his crossovers, in my limited listening to the RF83s.

As to the differences between maple and birch woods, I have an Ethan Allen drop leaf coffee table from 1963 that has alternating 4 inch slabs of maple and birch. No one has been able to correctly tell which is which, including two Amish master finish carpenters. If you have a log or a huge slab of wood, it is easy, but as you parse more information out, you loose the identifiable details.

Besides, I thing they are both formica, and the crossovers are refurbished AAs!