When soldering up your crossovers.

m00n

Lets say in a circuit you have a "+" circuit that goes to the cap, out the cap to a coil (other side of coil connects to the "-" side of circuit) and then out to the "+" terminal on the driver.

Here is my question. Can the output of the cap, the lead on the coil and the wire going to the "+" terminal on the driver all be soldered together in one clump, or do they physically need to be sepparated by some lenth of wire?

I hope this makes since, if not, I'll try to provide a picture...

I think I am reading you correctly and the answer is, if they are in fact connected to the same point electrically on your schematic like Dean showed above you can solder them all to the same point physically, I would use a solder post to do this. Basically you will have one lead on the bottom of the post, another lead above it and the last lead above that towards the top of the post. When you solder you should be in and out by a count of 3 and try to avoid "the bigger the glob the better the job" type of soldering. You want smooth concave fillets in between the physical areas of conncetivity.

Lets say in a circuit you have a "+" circuit that goes to the cap, out the cap to a coil (other side of coil connects to the "-" side of circuit) and then out to the "+" terminal on the driver.

Here is my question. Can the output of the cap, the lead on the coil and the wire going to the "+" terminal on the driver all be soldered together in one clump, or do they physically need to be sepparated by some lenth of wire?

I hope this makes since, if not, I'll try to provide a picture...

your question would be yes only for 6db and 12db crossover networks. not for 18db and above crossover networks. a 6db xover only has a cap to the tweeter, a coil to the woofer, and a cap/coil to the mid-range. a 12db differs only that it has additional shunt componets from the hot signal side to ground (or across the driver connections).

in a 6db or 12db network, it would be possible to minimize complextity and solder xover parts to speaker wire terminals. but this would get messy if you ever wanted to remove the drivers later down the road.

There are a few issues here.

I agree that in point to point wiring, like in the old days, or even present day tube amps using it, it is not uncommon to have up to about four wires or leads meeting at one post on a terminal strip.

With much more than four there are just too many wires to do a good job. An exception is a "star" type grounding system.

The other issue is that schematic diagrams are indeed just showing the electrical scheme. They may imply that components and connections are located close to each other, or distant, or clustered, or not. But the physical layout can be quite different.

Gil