The Bass on the Heresy's

I'm with Daddy Dee here

I ran a HK730 with 2 pairs of Heresys in the late 70s/early 80s before I purchased my KHorns, and bass was never lacking..of course I ALWAYS had the contour button pushed in, and I was playing nothing but vinyl in those days..I think vinyl always has a better bass sound than digital..

Steve

I find the Bass lacking without a sub, but let me say this, I believe that ran with the right tubes ,Bass would not be a problem. I base my comments on running mine with an SS receiver, but when I hear other speakers driven by tubes, you know the difference. I can't answer about tubes, but I can about SS, you need a sub with Heresy's. Other than the Bass response, they are great speakers, right size(for the wife!), Sound good at low volume, will crank if pushed, Hard to believe how small they are until you turn them up.........not small, good all around speaker.

Sounds like you are saying that if you use Hersey's with SS equipment you will need a sub, whereas if you use Hersey's with tube equipment you will not need a sub. Is this the general view?

That's pretty much it, Tubes seem to have more built in Punch than SS, please consider I'm talking in the 100 watt per channel range, of course a 200 watt per channel SS Mac is going to sound great, and is not a fair comparision to what I'm saying. With the SS you need a sub, the same speakers run with a Scott 20 watt per channel Tube amp DO NOT need a sub to deliver solid bottom, you may choose to add a sub, but you don't have to. Just my point of view, doesn't mean I'm right........

P.S. Not many people buy Heresy's for their Bass response in the first place. I am not a technical man, and don't want to be , but to my ears, a Tube based unit sounds fine on the bottom end without a sub, and for a low to mid powered SS receiver to sound the same, it needs a sub. Those are not Lab findings, they're what my ear hears, I'm not a Pro, just an average guy, who some day will switch to tubes, just for that sound, or punch, or wallop, or whatever it is that tubes brings to Klipsch speakers.

All I am running is SS. I am pretty young and can't really afford the tube equipment. I have heard some tube stuff and love it. It does sound pretty warm, rich, and full. I also have been looking at a McIntosh MA-5100 and supposedly it is supposed to have quite a warm sound. The amp is going for about $650 but I am not the richest guy on the block so one thing at a time. If I am understanding this right, some of you are saying that if you crank up the Heresy's then the bass will be substantial, Is that right regardless of SS or tube?

P.S. Will Porting the Heresy's help with that? Is it possible and how can I learn how to do that. (Thanks for the help)

I listened to my Heresys with SS gear before finding the Tube Dimension...I used a Nakamichi TA-2A...McIntosh MAC 1900, McIntosh MA6200 and an Outlaw 950/7100 combo...I liked it but you will find more bass in some other speakers mentioned...I still didn't miss it until I heard some of these other speakers...I like the overall sound of the Heresys...

Bill

All I am running is SS. I am pretty young and can't really afford the tube equipment. I have heard some tube stuff and love it. It does sound pretty warm, rich, and full. I also have been looking at a McIntosh MA-5100 and supposedly it is supposed to have quite a warm sound. The amp is going for about $650 but I am not the richest guy on the block so one thing at a time. If I am understanding this right, some of you are saying that if you crank up the Heresy's then the bass will be substantial, Is that right regardless of SS or tube?

P.S. Will Porting the Heresy's help with that? Is it possible and how can I learn how to do that. (Thanks for the help)

There is a product that looks like are hersey except it has 2 ports, one on each side of the horn area.

Ports are good, but tend to muddy the bass response except at a targeted frequency. ports are tuned to specific frequencies based on lenth, diameter, driver specs, and volume of the cab.

There is a product that looks like are hersey except it has 2 ports, one on each side of the horn area.

Ports are good, but tend to muddy the bass response except at a targeted frequency. ports are tuned to specific frequencies based on lenth, diameter, driver specs, and volume of the cab.

I listened to my Heresys with SS gear before finding the Tube Dimension...I used a Nakamichi TA-2A...McIntosh MAC 1900, McIntosh MA6200 and an Outlaw 950/7100 combo...I liked it but you will find more bass in some other speakers mentioned...I still didn't miss it until I heard some of these other speakers...I like the overall sound of the Heresys...

Bill

Your SS equipment is on a different level than what I'm talking about, your equipment is Pro level, I'm talking about the Best Buy, Circuit City offerings of Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, they need subs to sound like a lower powered Tube Amp. I like the sound of my Heresy's, and am not sorry I bought them, and I use a Sony to run my system, I just like what I hear from tubes, without using a sub.

• 1 year later...

I am on the verge of purchasing a pair of Heresy 1's and I am quite a large fan of clean sounding bass out of speakers. Now I know that the Heresy are not ported and also have a smaller woofer compared to some of the other speakers on the Heritage line. If you have a pair of Heresy's or have heard some it would be greatly appreciated what your opinion is of this area of these speakers. Thanks a lot!

I have a pair of 1980 HBR HERESY 1, and they sound surprinsingly good in my small room (12sqmeter, slanted under-roof ceiling), when placed in "corner" position, and driven with a no-feedback tube amplifier. This special configuration enhances the bass level and give an extended, deep bass response, preserving the tonal qualities of the HERESY 1 : punch, tightness and speed, rather difficult to find in a bass-reflex cabinet... I tried the HERESYS in "normal audiophile" conditions (50sqmeter room, classical hi-grade transistor amps, speakers on stands, without corner placement) : the bass range had not a satisfactory level.

Sincerely,

DrTUBE.

I bought new Heresys in 1975 and played them until a got my new La Scalas in 2005.

I played the Hersys with a Yamaha receiver (30W), a Carver M500t (250W), and SET Wright3.5 (3.5W); in all cases the Heresys had nice low firm bass, but this was probably because I always put them in the corners on the floor where the response from 200Hz on down is elevated by 6dB.

I could be wrong, but I think the 6dB rise is such that the lower the frequency the more the boost. In any event, the Heresys are great sounding speakers and will thump and rock just fine.

The La Scalas are just much more of the same, with a bigger sound and more refinement; but the Heresys are amazing and will get you to the 90th percentile.

Well, it's over a year since I responded to this thread.................In that year a Scott 299-D has found away to get in my basement room, what I wrote a year ago holds true, Tubes give Heresy's great bottom end without a sub, but that wasn't enough for me, so I hooked up my sub, and Do You Want To Borrow Some Bottomend ? I have more bass response than I need, the Heresy's sound like new speakers, and the Scott makes me grin. Bottom line here ; Scott, Heresy's, and a Sub Woofer make for a wonderful stereo........suits me just fine.........The Heresy is the Pit-Bull of Klipsch speakers, a very under-rated speaker............placement is a very big factor also.........Every room is different..........I figure you can't go wrong with any Klipsch speaker.........

Agree with OB!! The Heresy's are definitely the "pit bull". Very versatile. Easy to move around. Very easy to modify (caps, drivers, etc) without breaking the bank and getting into trouble with the Minister of Finance... Placement notwithstanding, amp quality (it's a biggy!!), good caps (in the older ones) and making sure the "acoustic suspension" design is tight with a good seal on the back probably makes a big difference in the perception of how they perform. I've always liked them as a great utility speaker. I use a couple pairs in the living room with a good AU-11000 Pro Series amp for the wife and kids "home theater", and keep a couple pairs scattered around the house. Even have a pair of H-II OO's in the "wall of voodoo" for testing amps, recording CD's while working on something else, listening to NPR at low volumes etc.