B&W Speakers are junk - worse than Bose!!!!!

The thing with the diamond tweeter is everyone knew that would make the best cone as diamonds are the strongest material and hence it would not distort even at the most insane levels. They could not incorporate it until a few years back due to the machinery not available. It is a synthetic diamond aka single crystal carbon. Its not the wonderful clear diamond that you see at the jewlery store but probably of a brown nature as no one will really see it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply Love B&W speakers, I just never spoke up because it feels like i'd get knocked around with all the fandom in here. B&W is known in the speaker industry as the 'University of Sound' because a lot of the modern breakthroughs come from them. -- Like them using kevlar to stop resonance in the driver material, perforated ports limit port farting, and reverse horns help stop internal resonance and totally cleans up the output on the 8xx series to give you the most undistorted output possible. Oh and don't forget the diamond drivers, the only material that's been proven to give completely flat, like not even +-1dB variance to 20khz, but we can't hear above 15kHz realistically so I guess only kids would notice. They have I believe some of the most brilliant engineers alive today.

My two cents.

-Joe

Do you have any B&W's? I am simply amazed at the DM3000's that I bought. After adding a powerful amp they have dynamics like you would not believe along with an extremely clear midrange and imaging. Out of two 6.5" drivers. Just unreal. The other cool thing is that I just set them up and they sounded good. I did not have to move them around to tune them. My K Horns with false corners were the same, you could put them anywhere, but I had a lot of trouble with Maggies and JBL monitors.

Although she still complains, the WAF is much better with the B&W's. Of course she said that she hated my K Horns and now that I sold them she said last night that I sold teh only ones that she ever liked. Why do I even ask? Anyway, I got the thumbs up for putting a set of 802's in the living room if I want. Just need to find a set of them and decide if I want to spend that kind of money. Are teh new ones really better than the older 802's?

Chris

post-10861-13819298686412_thumb.jpg

I heard the B&W 800D with all McIntosch gear this year and it sounded amazing.

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/label/Model%20800D

The price tag was crazy.

Yep! I'd be very happy with the bowling ball types.

Aw come on now, no you wouldn't. We all know you too well. [;)]

Chris

I heard them twice. I likey!!! Unfortunately, I think they were 3 million dollars or so. Actually around 16k. Same thing. Very cool looking too. No harshness or irritation.

Been there, done that infatuation thing with the so-called "British sound".

But that will, I promise, get old after awhile. I will make this prediction: if you get rid of your horns, you will regret it someday.

IMO, you should have kept the Khorn bass bins and scrapped the top sections and started from scratch to get a quality soundstage worthy of the bottom end.

Granted, it is a hard road.

But you can't get blood out of a turnip.

DM

D-Man, I concur to some degree as my black indy LaScalla's sit right beside my black Nautilus 804's so I may just have the best of both worlds or not, depends on who and how you look at that[:^)]

I like (no make that love) both pairs and admire each for their seperate strengths and differences (notice I left the WEAK anything part out)[;)]

Klipsch & Wilkins out[:o]

Interesting thread.

I had a really nice pair of B&W 703's for about a year. Probably the most balanced, top to bottom, speakers I ever owned, but I could not afford to flesh the system out for surround, so I sold them. I do think they were a bit over-priced, though. Not for the sound quality, but just consdering what was actually there, hardware-wise. I love the 801's, but they are out of my league. The 600 series is their best value, I feel. But for their price, they should be real wood veneer, not vinyl. I guess I'm hard to please.