Heresy vs. ?

melvin

I have reviewed most of the topics that I can see relating to the Heresy model and it seems that most like the sound of these. I have the opportunity to purchase a pair for $450 and was wondering if that was a good price or is is too much/good deal. These look as though they are older, maybe 20 years (?). Is there a way to tell manufacture date from the s/n?

I am going to be hooking them up to a Fisher 800b receiver (65W) and running a JVC CD and a Technics turntable through them. I take it from previous posts that the Fisher will be nice with these speakers.

My listening room is tile floor and approximately 13x17 with an open rear wall leading into the kitchen. The speakers will sit close to the front and one side.

Would these be a good choice or should I wait to find a different model?

Any opinions would help.

Thanks,

Mel

Melvin, that's a fair price for a pretty clean pair. I've seen mint pairs go for $800, but that's rare ... beat up pairs usually for around $325 since they require refinishing.

As far as the date codes go, here is the conversion table ... I think it's right since I pulled it off of this board last year and stuffed it in my Palm Pilot:

1962 A

1963 B

1964 C

1965 D

1966 E

1967 F

1968 G

1969 H

1970 I

1971 J

1972 K

1973 L

1974 M

1975 N

1976 P

1977 R

1978 S

1979 T

1980 U

1981 W

1982 X

1983 Y

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Thats a good deal if they are in decent shape but try to negotiate it down a little ...who knows?!

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - coming soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Albany.gif

Well, I bought them. After listening in the shop with a multitude of CD's and having the owner tell me to turn it down (!) I went ahead and sprung for them. I can't wait to get them home. They sound great and have very minor cosmetic issues.

They are Heresy II signature series, built in 1986, walnut finish with cane(?) grills. The wife shouldn't object too much...

You wont meet many disgruntled Heresy owners. Once you get them your appreciation of music just soars.

You do, however, ocasionally meet disgruntled wives of Heresy owenrs that never get to watch the soaps cos the music is playing in the living room.

Now I could pump the sound of the soaps through the Heresy's but that would be a sacrilege if not a heresy.....

melvin,

Congratulations on your Heresy purchase. Hope you've determined the date made using the info that was provided. I have a Fisher 800B and it has provided some wonderful music from my Heresy's, KG4's and a previous pair of Chorus II's that I owned. I placed it in storage a few months back, hopefully I can find a local repair person to have it refurbished.

I noticed that you have tiled floors in the room, if you have sufficient rugs and other furnishings to dampen the listening area, you should not have a problem with brighteness. The Fisher tubes will also help to take some of the harshness out of the Heresy's as well.

Enjoy,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 11-07-2001 at 06:07 PM