Sophia Electric 300b MKII

jcmusic

I have fially heard one of these amps. This 300b is about the smoothest sounding amp I have ever heard. The soundstage is large, the bottom end is very controled it has excellent bass at 9 wpc. The midrange is very lush and smooth, plenty enough speed and accuracy. I am very pleased with the sound of this amp. It is a joy to listen to, never tiring or lazy. Seems to be full of life at all times. I have only had it for 5 days now, but I don't ever want to turn it off. This thing is great. More to follow as I spend more time with it.

Jay

Jay:

Congratulations on this amp!

I can very much understand your enjoyment, by the way. I like the one we are using very, very much. I wouldn't say it's better than the Moth or amazing little Teac amp (which is still probably the best I have yet heard), but it is more lively than the Moth in certain respects, and surprisingly sounds very similar, to me, to the Teacs, of which we have two. I still have some small additions to make to this design I've been working on, but I have been very, very satisfied with what I have heard so far. It's very clean and powerful sounding -- just great with the Klipschorns, even more so now with the new tweeters from Bob Crites and Co.

Sounds like you're having fun -- that's good.

Do you have a picture you could share?

Erik

Jim, thanks for the pic. I cannot get mine to come up. mine is a little different, the one you have in the picture is the intergrated version. the one I have is the power amp version, it looks just like that one, except the power on/off switch is in the back. also there are no nobs on the front, the imput connections are in the front instead of the rear for a more direct wire path. it is a dual mono design, the tubes I am using are 6sn7 imput, el34 driver, 5z3 rectifiers, sophia's 300b output tubes. this thing sound awsome the inner detail is outstanding along with all it's other qualities. I am really enjoying it.

Jay